“The Heart of It All” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Kalispell, Montana
“The Heart of It All”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I preface this by saying we have never stayed overnight at La Fonda. That being said, we spend a lot of time in and around the La Fonda building every time we go to Santa Fe. La Fonda is an old historic inn and for that it is worth a walk through the lobby and halls to see the old architecture and southwestern decor. You can also get a fabulous meal there. The lobby buffet bar is excellent for an informal lunch/drink and a welcome break from walking and shopping. The atrium restaurant is lovely and the food is good too. I do recommend making a reservation there. Beside that, the halls are full of art work and the adjoining arcade shops are some of the best on the Plaza. The La Fonda complex takes up an entire block. As an extra, the covered parking garage is an excellent, centrally located facility that is reasonable and safe. Friends say that the hotel rooms are currently undergoing some extensive and long over due renovations at this time but I understand that there are some rate specials and that the construction crews have limited work hours.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank MaryEllenM27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Turkish first
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

La Fonda Hotel is in Santa Fe right at the corner of the downtown Plaza. La Fonda is built on the site of the first hotel in Santa Fe. It is still the anchor tenant on the Plaza and the original gathering place in Santa Fe. We stayed here in 2002 by coincidence from reading a New Mexico guide in the car on the way. This time we returned 11 years later to spend more time in Santa Fe and see if things were as nice as we remembered.

I booked the hotel in December for a March 11th and 12th stay. In January I got emails informing us that there would be ongoing construction but that it would not impact our stay. We flew in to Albuquerque and drove the one hour from there to Santa Fe, arriving at the hotel about 2:30 pm. Our room was ready at that time and we had a standard room on the 1st floor. We love boutique hotels that preserve the local style of construction and La Fonda is both familiar and luxurious. Wi-Fi and cool tile décor coexist with some old fashioned touches and art deco, southwest style. The hotel staff was as pleasant and helpful as we remembered, the margarita was even better.

We had lots of Mexican and New Mexican food in Santa Fe and the main restaurant at La Fonda had the best chili rellenos of the trip. Carlos made a magnificent margarita. They had some nice draft beers as well. The façade construction did not affect us as the work was on the other side of the hotel from our room and only during the day. There is a big fireplace with a fire going just off the restaurant. The hotel has at least a dozen fine shops available from the lobby area and more outside. The décor in the lobby, restaurants and hallways is just spectacular and you can only get a taste in just two days. We had breakfasts in the French Café, tres bon.

Santa Fe was great. We could walk to everything and only drove to get to a Bikram yoga studio about two miles from the hotel. We had been to the Indian and Art museums in 2002 and did the history and Georgia O’Keefe museums this time. In addition to La Fonda we had lunch at Tia Sophia’s (so did the Governor of New Mexico) and the Atomic Café; both were delicious with reasonable prices. Dinner was at La Fonda and the Blue Corn café. Shopping is phenomenal we bought mostly from the Indians at the Governors Palace.

We only had a full day Monday and wished we had three to really see the most of the plaza area. Weather in mid March was freezing at night and 60/70 by afternoon. Definitely dress in layers. Sunsets were great stars were bold.

Room Tip: Sunday to Thursday were the best rates. We liked both the first floor and the third floor. We stayed...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wethiker
Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was so excitdd to plan my stay here but it's not been great. I am still here but checking out shortly. Changed rooms twice that are very small and in dire need Iof renovation. Peeling paint in bathtub..dirt in all corners of the bath and bedroom. There is still drilling going on above me and its 6P. I realize the property is going through renovations but no one should allow rooms like these given out. Believe me this is not a HISTORIC hotel. Nice staff....lousy rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
16 Thank J S
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the disruption experienced during your stay with us. We have set strict regulations regarding the hours in which our contractors can operate loud machinery. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your feedback helps us better understand how and where we can improve our service during this time. We understand the need for updates. All of our guest rooms will be renovated to provide the highest standards of comfort. The renovation is scheduled for completion in late fall – I’m just sorry that we were not able to place you in a satisfactory room at this time. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you in the future.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from another business trip to Santa Fe (my job is such a tough gig!) and another stay at the fabulous La Fonda. My favorite hotel has now become my most frequented - lucky me! Santa Fe and La Fonda share the same assets: Rich history , art treasures, fabulous cuisine and authentic, casually sophisticated surroundings. I recommend La Fonda highly - for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: The property is undergoing extensive renovations - but I didnt hear any noise or have any disruption...
2 Thank LTWorldTraveler
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just got back from another quick Santa Fe business trip. I always stay at La Fonda when I'm in town on business, and I have always received friendly, attentive service. This was my first time to stay in a Terrace room -- it was beautiful with a plush bed, original artwork, huge bathroom with separate standing shower and large tub, fireplace and balcony. The location, too, couldn't be better. It's the only hotel actually ON the plaza, with lots of shops and great dining choices within close walking distance.

The hotel is undergoing a renovation of the guest rooms and suites (one half at a time), but the Terrace rooms are unaffected. I wanted to get in some running time, so the staff showed me where the fitness center has been moved (the Coronado Room) during the renovation. It was no problem at all -- they still have plenty of equipment to accommodate athletic travelers. I was impressed to see they had yoga mats, too! I look forward to seeing the new and updated La Fonda on my next visit.

3 Thank pseudocinderella
It’s always nice when a seasoned business traveler offers positive remarks about our property and our team! Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience at La Fonda on the Plaza. I’m glad that you had the opportunity to experience one of our luxurious Terrace suites. And, I was pleased to learnthat our renovation efforts did not affect your stay. Thanks, too, for noting your positive experience in our temporary fitness facility. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I couldn't have enjoyed our stay more...even with all of the renovations going on at the time. The room was clean, comfortable, and very pretty. Everyone we dealt with went out of the way to help, from the parking attendant to the concierges to the manager at the desk. We stayed on the Terraza, which includes 14 rooms with their own concierge, hot tub, exercise room, and rooftop overlooking the Basilica. It costs a little more, but soooo worth it! Thanks to Wes, our concierge for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sallie S
reno, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

i always enjoy staying at La Fonda. I am always comfortable, the people are always attentive and i love the location, right on the Plaza. These days i particularly like saying in La Terraza, although i'm looking forward to when La Fonda's regular guest rooms are renovated. I also enjoy la Fonda's workd class art collection. Just another perk of my stay.

Room Tip: La Terraza is wonderful, but all rooms will be renovated by august and will be fantastic.
3 Thank markcurtis
Thank you for staying with us during the renovation of our guest rooms. I’m glad that you were able to take advantage of our central location on the Santa Fe Plaza, and that you had the opportunity to explore our extensive collection of original art. We look forward to hosting you in one of our remodeled guest rooms in the near future.