“Pet Friendly La Fonda earns Travelin' Jack's 5-Paw review!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Fonda on the Plaza

La Fonda on the Plaza
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Pet Friendly La Fonda earns Travelin' Jack's 5-Paw review!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Travelin' Jack here...New Mexico's Roving Bulldog Reporter. Here's the Pup-Scoop! La Fonda is THE place to stay if you want to be in the heart of the action and Santa Fe stylin'. This historic hotel is 100% pet friendly....all 174 rooms & suites! I, Travelin' Jack especially loved my welcome gift pack from "Emilia Poochie" that included my favorites--a squeaky toy and a yogurt dipped peanut butter gourmet biscuit plus lots of good local pet info. Now this is how to welcome a pet!
And I got to dine with my people in the pet-friendly La Cantanita indoor dining area. (It's in the lobby so it doesn't violate any health codes, but servers DO serve there!).

Other points of consideration"
-All Rooms Pet Friendly
-Pets Can Join People in the Restaurant Lobby the Cantanita and be served by the Wait Staff.
-Most rooms have balconies to check out the Santa Fe action.
-The sprawling shopping corridors throughout the hotel offer and invite pet friendly shopping.
-La Terraza-the rooftop terrace area is available for pet enjoyment when it is not being used for a private party.
-Easy access to outdoors from many areas of the hotel.
-Rooms and Suites are VERY large and spacious-enough for a pup to romp in-room.
-Hotel is ON the Plaza and near the river and walking areas for and with pets.
-Staff is VERY pet friendly...welcoming pets throughout.
-Reasonable pet fee $25 per night per pet.
-Lots of interior public areas for walking the dog throughout the hotel...BUT beware! The dog is sure to get LOADS of attention! :)

I loved my Suite (#274). It included 2 LARGE rooms that allowed for me to do my laps inside in comfort! I had a balcony overlooking Santa Fe sites. The whole suite was decorated with hand paintings and Santa Fe decor throughout....and you can be sure this discriminating pup appreciated all the fine Santa Fe decor!

Yep, my stay at La Fonda was one dog-fabulous experience! I, Travelin' Jack, proudly give La Fonda my prestigious 5-Paws Rating!

Room Tip: Always reserve a pet friendly room! Ask for a room with a balcony. Nice for the pet to watch the o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank 60933Jill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Turkish first
Durham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at La Fonda while visiting Santa Fe for a conference in Jan 2013.

Pros:
-conveniently located on the plaza where there is lots of shopping, dining, etc.
-service was excellent. front desk staff was friendly upon arrival. when we had an issue with our door closing, maintenance staff came to take care of it immediately and it was resolved to our satisfaction.
-reliable free wifi throughout hotel.
-room was spacious enough and clean
-got coupons at check-in for discounted drinks at the hotel bar which was a nice perk.

Cons:
-rooms are a bit outdated. also had trouble with tub leaking onto bathroom floor, and temperature seemed hard to control (always either too hot or too cold in the room).
-"fitness room" - i've come to have low expectations from hotels, but this was even worse than usual. 5 machines, at least one of which was always non-functional. and a set of free weights.

Given the excellent price and location, i would considered staying there again, but there are definitely more luxurious accommodations in the historic area of santa fe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank BethanyHDurham_NC
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I will always choose the historic and interesting over the new and characterless and La Fonda did not disappoint. Oozing charm and old world elegance, our room was a little oasis of quiet. I was not even aware of any construction on the hotel until we walked past the back on our way to dinner. You can't beat the location-and when it was cold and snowy it was so great to be close to everything.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WhyteWind
Humble, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed in a suite on the terrace. From the start,no bellman service from airport shuttle arrival to check in at front desk? Still no bellman to handle luggage to suite after check in?Private entrance card keys failed to open door. No concierge on the terrace level to let us in. Had to return downstairs to front desk to have card keys reissued. 2nd attempt to open terrace level still did not work! Had to return a 2nd time to front desk. Manager made new card keys and escorted us back to terrace level and card keys worked to gain access to terrace level but would not open room? Manager used master to gain access to room and had new keys made a 4th time. Large dead cockroach in bathroom light fixture on ceiling. Bathroom shutters would not close completely and at night time, anyone could see into bathroom from the wrap around balcony that was accessible to all terrace level guests,had to use bath towels to hang over windows. Draperies would not close completely on both sliding glass door entrances to balconies allowing morning sunlight to come in. White comforter on bed had large red stain, they replaced after I called manager to room since concierge was still not at terrace desk? Gas fireplace had no happy medium with flame,either to low for warmth and effect or to high giving off way to much heat. Had lobby concierge book dinner reservation in La Plazuela restaurant with table next to fountain. Not seated at reserved table,seated at table against wall close to another couple. Upon bringing to the restaurant managers attention,he did not have the best of attitudes or tone of voice in addressing my concerns about the reservation! Had to visit front desk once again and speak with main manager who made things right and offered apologies saying concierge forgot to book table next to fountain. Offered free deserts but I declined. Day three they finally had concierge in place at terrace level position which they advertise about. This concierge was in early 20's and not very knowledgeable,although very nice,she was uniformed about most galleries and museums. I got more information out of brochures. Day three saw the maintenance crew remove the dead cockroach from the light and try and fix the shutters which they failed to do. Upon checking out,hotel VP tried addressing concerns and offering to refund half of fees but she tried to do to little to late. I refused any refunds and was extremely disappointed at all levels of service,and once again no available bellman to handle luggage to other end of hotel to catch airport shuttle. Will never do business with this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
16 Thank rob112261
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Before I booked a discounted price I called the hotel to see if the renovation it was undergoing would impact on our stay. I was assured that it would not. I asked about the restaurant, the lobby, the noise level, and anything else I could think of. They reported that there would be NO DISRUPTIONS. The second day we were there we received notice that there would be a scheduled shut down of all water to our room from 10am to 4pm. I guess I consider this a disruption! The desk personnel were very sorry, but there was nothing they could do. Although the written notice said that the shut down was SCHEDULED, the desk help said that even they had not known about it. I have stayed at LaFonda many times. It is one of my favorite hotels in the USA. This was a big disappointment to me. If they had told me about this when I called I would have made other hotel arrangements then. Generally excellent, but this time.....not so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank marilyn M
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Marilyn,
We appreciate your loyalty to La Fonda and are pleased to know that we are one of your favorite hotels in the USA. We are sorry to hear of your recent experience. We make our best effort to ensure our staff has the very latest information regarding the renovation schedule, but as you might expect, there are many moving parts to a large project of this nature on an historic property and sometimes schedule changes occur that we haven't anticipated far in advance. We will work to better communicate the fluid nature of the project to guests taking advantage of our discounted rate. We do hope that you will return when the renovation is complete.
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We celebrated my birthday by staying at the La Fonda. We had a lovely room with a fireplace and view of the cathedral. The La Fonda is a historic hotel and has a lot of charm and Santa Fe style. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel La Fonda in March 2012 on a girls' road trip through New Mexico. What a beautiful hotel! The lobby is gorgeous, and our room was beautiful as well. Very spacious and comfortable, with cute little touches of color, paint all over. The hotel is right in the middle of historic downtown and you can easily walk to shops and restaurants from here. There is also a parking garage next door, which we used. We also ate one night in the restaurant downstairs, and found the food to be delicious.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends