WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Thanksgiving dissapointment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Before I moved to Santa Fe (4 years ago), I stayed at the La Fonda twice. One weekend the room was cozy and inviting, but the next trip the room was small and cozy, but the window was nailed shut. I didn't complain because I was so in love with the hotel and its Santa Fe style. After moving to Santa Fe, my family has been going to the hotel for Thanksgiving buffet. For two years in a row we were seated in the La Plazuela dining room. We enjoyed a lovely, casual and relaxing meal in a beautiful dining room. We expected the same experience this year, but it didn't happen. We were ushered into another dining room, which gave the feeling of a cheap wedding reception dining hall. There was no festive feeling at all. No attempt to decorate. We were seated next to the door to the kitchen. I could feel the waiters brushing by me as they hurriedly rushed around. My chair was wobbly. I moved closer to the other two at the table. So, the three of us were in a row. I ordered a Mexican coffee. The coffee was terrible, weak and I swear there was no alcohol in the drink, but I didn't complain. I ordered a beer. The food was OK. I don't know if there was two types of gravy, but the one I tried did not complement my food. The waiters, etc. were rushing around so much, it was not a relaxing environment. Someone came around asking if we everything was OK. I said it wasn't as good as last year. He said "well the food is the same."

I am a permanent vendor at the Tesuque Flea Market. I work so hard to make my booth a special experience for the locals and tourists. If I don't, they won't come back. Well, I won't be going back to the La Fonda for a holiday meal. Oh, our bill was $266.00. That is almost my rent for one month at the flea market. Once a year I wouldn't complain about the bill if our experience had been a memorable one. I felt the hotel was just trying to get us in an out.

I wouldn't still be thinking about this if I hadn't gone into the hotel after Thanksgiving. I have been in this hotel many times in the past four years after Thanksgiving. I have never seen it decorated so festively. The holiday touches can be seen everywhere. It is beautiful. So, I just don't see why absolutely no attempt to make a few festive touches in the side dining room at Thanksgiving was made. There was no attempt. I could have been at the Furr's buffet in August.

I am sure no one will see this, but if you do beware. I still love the charm of the hotel, but I will be trying a different hotel next year for my holiday meal.

If you want an unique, inexpensive gifts, please check out the Tesuque Flea Market.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Barbara B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Turkish first
Belmont, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Where to begin? My husband and I traveled to Santa Fe to celebrate his birthday. We decided to stay at the La Fonda because of its location to the Plaza. We did not have a car this trip so we wanted to be able to walk everywhere. The location is perfect! We arrived quite late on a Saturday night and we were greeted warmly. Our room was lovely and warm and romantic and had a wood-burning fireplace in it. There was a wonderful bottle of wine and a nice birthday card awaiting my husband in the room. What a thoughtful gesture! The room was VERY large as was the bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and we rested well every night. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas and we enjoyed noticing new decorations daily. The hotel staff could not be more friendly or helpful. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and had drinks and dinner in the bar and a birthday dinner in the restaurant (all reviewed separately). Our server in the bar, Isabel, was exceptional. We followed her recommendations and they were great. There is a great wood-burning fireplace in the lobby and we sat in front of it and read the paper every day -- it was like being in our own cozy living room. As others noted, this La Fonda is about to undergo renovations. Consequently, the room rate was excellent -- a very good value. We look forward to returning to the La Fonda soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Buffalo51
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Comeon' guys...I read some nasty reviews of LaFonda and I have to respond.
We were very pleasantly surprised at every turn with our stay there recently. While our room was not large by any stretch, it was pleasant and we knew going in that this was an older property and thus did not expect things to be untra modern and slick. In fact that was part of the charm. The location of Lafonda alone is worth an amazing amount, plus having covered parking at a reasonable $12/day. The breakfast was super good and my wife mentioned it was my birthday. The waiter, Gerardo, came back later with a giant cinnamon roll with a candle in it to celebrate. When we left, 3 staff gave me happy birthday greetings as we walked out...how they knew was a mystery. The cocktail waitress has worked there for 31 years. The recent retired bellman/jack of all trades for 60. This is a family owned and operated hotel and not some uncaring chain. This type of property is fast disappearing and we need to support them. The hotel is just starting a hugely expensive renovation which will make it more fastidious for those who retch at the sight of a frayed carpet, etc. but it will retain its charm, although a polished charm. I cannot say enough good things about our stay and the staff who made us feel like kings when the restaurant at a competing hotel down the street tried to charge us for the "free" birthday goodies. Stay here and you will see for yourself.

Room Tip: Try for the king rooms...they are larger.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Fantastic family stay. Understated, elegance. Loved our rooms and the unique historic charm of this fantastic landmark!

I think our favorite thing was soaking in the hot tub, looking up at the view of the cathedral, while the snow was falling last night. Just breath taking!

Room Tip: Book rooms on the Tarraza Level - beautiful, quiet large rooms with views.
2 Thank Matt K
Sandia Park, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

If you want the full flavor of Santa Fe, the La Fonda Hotel is the place to stay. We went to a wedding there on December 1, 2012. The hotel is very close to the square and it was decorated with beautiful lights, as was the hotel. There is so much history in this city, and when you walk into the La Fonda you feel it, The food at the reception was excellent, as well as the wedding cake. We really enjoyed the hot cider during the cocktail hour. We also enjoyed the French Bakery ( which is accessible to the hotel without going outside) for coffee. Lots of old world furnishings and architecture flow through the entire hotel. The reception hall had stain glass skylights, beautiful!
You will know you have been to Santa Fe after visiting this hotel, close to St. Francis Cathedral and walking distance to the infamous Loretto Chapel with its miraculous staircase.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel in and of itself was great!! They had an amazing staff and it was a great atmosphere to be in! My auntie had her wedding at La Fonda it was truly a delight to see how the staff accommodated her and the whole 2 extended families that were there, it was spectacular. The La Fonda had a New Mexico feel to it which was great to bring people who had never been to this state before! Where the hotel was positioned is perfect for historic adventures and the artwork in the hotel told its own story! The front desk was very quick and efficient with both checking in and out, everything definitely felt so organized.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

The staff is amazing, always accommodating and so helpful. My husband and I came with my entire family for a wedding and they were always had so much information to provide to us when asking any question: where to eat, where to shop, anything. The rooms are all beautiful, so clean, very antique and quaint. There is nothing more that I could have asked for from this hotel.