“Magnificent Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Port Huron, Michigan
“Magnificent Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We arrived at La Fonda exhausted and almost past the dinner hour. The desk official, Brenda greeted us with such a great warm welcome and quickly got us oriented with the hotel, ammenities and the city. She is a great person to deal with for anything at this wonderful hotel. Our room overlooked the Loretto Chappel and had a lovely balcony, all this at one of their lowest priced rooms too! Our room was beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable. We dined in the restaurant that evening and had an outstanding culinary experience. Even though we were late diners the restaurant never rushed us or made us feel uncomfortable for being late. Our waitress, Alexis was very professional and offered some good substitutes due to my food allergies. This is one of the best historic hotels in the USA so if you are in the Santa Fe area do not miss it. Parking is at a premium here but the hotel has its own parking garage, which is a huge plus.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I spent one night in Santa Fe last month, and I had the hardest time choosing a hotel in the plaza area. My husband chose La Fonda, and I'm glad he did! While it's clearly an older building, I enjoyed the historic Southwest charm. The location is incredibly convenient to walking around the plaza and surrounding streets. We relaxed in the hot tub. Our room was spacious. The view from the rooftop bar is great. Dinner at La Plazuela was fabulous, and I loved the interior courtyard. The front desk staff - I believe it was Jeremy (?) - was very helpful - really great service. Only complaint was some noise outside our room - we were on the first floor across from a conference room, and the cleaning staff was a little loud. But I expect some noise staying in a hotel. Overall, I recommend it and would stay here again!

Koloa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Spent a great deal of time researching a hotel with charm and character, in a very relaxed and romantic setting, in the historical area of Santa Fe .... and chose La Fonda ..... we were not disappointed. We stayed in one of the 14 rooms on the concierge floor ..... with a huge king bed, private patio, and semi-private spa. The room was spacious, well-appointed, and the king bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever enjoyed. Rebecca, our concierge, was bright and friendly, and assisted us with all of our needs. The entire staff ..... housekeeping, restaurant, front desk ..... was extremely courteous, friendly, warm, and outgoing. Every aspect of the hotel is rich with history, beauty, and comfort. It was the perfect setting for a romantic visit to Santa Fe. The hotel is located right in the middle of the historical area of town, and everything from the 100+ galleries on Canyon Road, to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum were within easy walking distance. We would return to La Fonda in a heartbeat .... it was one of the highlights of our stay in Santa Fe. Congratulations, La Fonda, for making our visit so very memorable.

Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at La Fonda on the Plaza from Saturday, April 16th through Sunday, April 24th, 2011. I was in Santa Fe for business purposes and I found the La Fonda to be perhaps my most enjoyable stay in a hotel ever. The property itself is beautiful, charming and historic but it is the hotel staff that made my stay so memorable.

I would like to start off by thanking Brenda and Dennis at the front desk for their warmth, sense of humor and efficiency in responding to any needs that I expressed. I would like to especially compliment Brenda for accommodating some special requests that I made to her.

The bellman staff members were prompt, friendly and helpful. Thanks to David Robinson and Omar for moving my luggage and boxes around during the week.

Nancy at the concierge desk was also very helpful with directions.

The fifth floor rooms facing the Loretto Chapel have outside patios with terrific views. The Basilica of St. Francis located diagonally across the street is gorgeous.

I highly recommend the La Fonda on the Plaza for visitors to Santa Fe, NM.

Tom from Florida

Room Tip: Room 505 next to the Bell Tower - awesome views
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband and I just spent the most wonderful few days in Santa Fe at La Fonda. The hotel is in an ideal location to enjoy all of the sights, shops, galleries and flavor of Santa Fe.

The hotel itself is warm and friendly in a true historic Santa Fe setting. The staff is helpful and friendly. In particular Eddie in reservations and Dennis at the front desk. Dennis always greeted us with a smile and a fun suggestion for something to do or a place to dine. We would look forward to seeing him and report our days activities back to him!

The rooms are well appointed and comfy and cozy. The shops were some of the best on the plaza and La Plazuela is a beautiful and delicious restaurant.

We will return as often as possible. Thank you La Fonda!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Decent value for a Plaza location hotel. Room & bath was a bit small, but comfortable, nicely decorated, and very clean. Did have some allergy problems though (this is a very old hotel). Parking was extra ($12/day), but worth it - could walk to shopping, galleries, and restaurants.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

La Fonda is an old hotel built in the Santa Fe style and remodeled beautifully to keep up with current trends. My room was small, the bed was incredibly wonderful, and I had all the conveniences you would expect from a modern hotel. Because of multiple remodels, the hotel is on many levels. There are stairs, elevators, and lifts if you need one. The meeting rooms were spacious. I especially enjoyed being in La Teraza, which is on the top floor with views in all directions and a terrace so you can enjoy the views in the fresh air when the weather is nice. The staff was wonderful.

I did get a little tired of Mexican food, but that's Santa Fe. Mornings I ate at The French Bakery which was a delight.

The only problem I encountered was getting lost in the myriad of hallways. Finding my meeting room was sometimes difficult. However, the staff - any staff member - was always glad to drop what they were doing and show me the way.

Since La Fonda is right in the middle of the museums and the cathedrals and all the other goodies offered by downtown Santa Fe, I consider it a good choice.

Room Tip: Dicker. See what options are available.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business