“Good value for Santa Fe”

The Santa Fe Suites
Ranked #47 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a decent hotel, and very fairly priced. The room was very clean, the staff quite helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was worthless (completely ran out of coffee, no butter for the toast, no fruit, etc). Good enough that I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hal G

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a couple times now. For the price it is not a bad deal. We had a non smoking room but it still had the smell of smokers. Nice little suite, pillows a bit small and it took a while to get towels

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bryan L
Reviewed May 7, 2013

April 30-May 2, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights here so we could enjoy Santa Fe sight-seeing.

The good:

*Good price for any room in Santa Fe.
*Not a bad room size for the price.
*Kitchen and bathroom were reasonably clean.
*Asked for an extra pillow and got it.

The bad:

*Carpet was filthy, our feet were black within an hour.
*Bed linen had someone else's black hair in it.
*Blanket on bed was ragged.
*There were supposed to be pots and pans, there was one small pot.
*We chose not to have our room cleaned. There was a sign in the bathroom that said to take towels to the office to get them replaced after housekeeping work hours. When I did, the evening clerk gave me a new batch of towels, however there were no washcloths. I asked for them and he said that the housekeeping staff had all the towels batched for the morning and there were no washcloths...what? He said I would have to check with "the boss" the next morning. We used a towel for a washcloth. When I went to the office the next morning, the clerk almost rolled her eyes and found me a washcloth.
*When we made our reservation we asked for the latest checkout we could get because my wife is disabled and mornings are very difficult. At first we were told noon then 1pm. When I went the first time for the towels I relayed this to the evening clerk and he said the latest checkout he could authorize was noon. Again, I needed to take it up with "the boss" the next morning. When I did the next morning, I got all kinds of reasons why they couldn't let us stay beyond noon. I reminded her that SHE had told me 1pm when I made the reservation and she reluctantly agreed. The manager was sitting in his office just feet from the front desk with the door opened and could hear all of this and never intervened.

The bottom line is, when management doesn't care, the staff won't either. Anytime I went to the office it felt as though I was inconveniencing the staff. And the rooms and grounds are very run down.

We will not be staying there again unless there is a change in management for the better.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom A
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My mom and I came for Spring Break to ski and relax, and we didn't want to spend a lot on the lodging. For the price, I was more than satisfied with Santa Fe Suites. We had 2 queen sized beds which were comfortable enough, rooms were quiet, hot water and TV, and we were only about a 10 minute drive from town. There is an Albertson's you can walk to to get groceries for your kitchenette, and right down the street is Maria's, home of the "best margarita in Santa Fe" (I didn't like it, too strong, but my mom says it was authentic like the ones she used to get growing up on the border). Front desk was pleasant, although they never fixed our broken stovetop burner (I could've reminded them, but we just used the other one), and they graciously let us cut short our reservation when we had an emergency and had to leave a day early. (I booked through an online website and this required a manager's approval, so I was glad to have no hassle.) One drawback is the extremely limited dishes and cookware. If you plan to cook at all, bring a sharp knife, a mixing bowl, and any other utensil you need. There was a smattering of silverware, one spatula, and a big and a small pot. That's it. Also, if you drink more than 2 swallows of coffee at a time, for heaven's sake, bring your own mug--these teacups aren't big enough to spit in.
Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised to get such a decent place for Spring Break in Santa Fe.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Anna O
Reviewed April 16, 2013

They clearly could update the insides of the rooms. Also the WiFi is not available through-out, so bring your own or be willing to go to the lobby. Also, my door did not really lock when shut - unless I did from the inside. Upon leaving my room and shutting the door, did not need a key to open it again . . did not figure that one out until the day I left. They clearly have some financial issues and need some minor maintenance done through-out. It was very quiet and the staff was very pleasant!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We visited santa fe suites during the off season so although we paid a budget price the expectations were not met. We had three people and were given a room with a queen and a sleeper. The pillows were stained yellow and the sleeper had no pillows. No towels. No shampoo or cleaning products. When we called the desk to ask for these items they told us "unfortunately we'd have to come get them". For an offseason we did not expect to be waited on , but the basics would be nice. At the "free continental breakfast", no juice, toasters broken, no water. Toast and milk. The front desk woman was on her facebook not remotely interested in tending to the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Alison O
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed for over a week at the Santa Fe Suites and was very comfortable. I loved that the window opened so I could get some fresh air without having to run the wall unit. I had my dog with me and was very happy to discover that the hotel is only a block from access to the Santa Fe walking/cycling path so I had a nice place to walk with the dog (at NE corner of St. Francis and Zia, head north on sidewalk then take underpass left under St. Francis to pick up the rail trail OR pick up trail right across Zia from the shopping center exit, take left where trail splits and then take right through underpass). Outside, they have one designated pet area but could use about 6 more strategically placed trash cans and pet waste bags around the property to encourage pet owners to do the right thing. The ground off the west end of the parking lot was particularly littered with dog poop.

My room was clean where it really mattered to me, though the top of the fridge was dirty and the shower curtain had a little mildew on the inside - things that are easy to overlook when you're cleaning. The mattress and linens were no-frills but ended up being more comfortable than they looked, and I noticed the housekeeping staff actually washing the bedspreads! The loveseat was saggy and past due to be replaced. (Note, however, that I had a "pet" room, so it might have had older furniture.) I really appreciated that the room had solid wood furniture, saltillo tile in the kitchen and bathroom, and punched tin light fixtures, which gave it a homey feel. The kitchen has a two burner stovetop, microwave, dishwasher, and fridge, and is fairly functional but is not what I would call "fully equipped". The coffee maker, sadly, was one of those one-cup deals and I ended up improvising with #1 cone filters so I could make my own coffee. The kitchen was stocked with a dishtowel, some silverware, dishes, cups, glasses, two pans and a corkscrew. There were no utensils, soap, dishrag, knives, bowls, cutting board, or can opener, for example, so if you plan to do any cooking you will have to supply your own. No oven, either, and I really wished they would have reversed the door on the fridge so it opened in the right direction for the space.

Overall, I could find things to nit pick about, but I felt very safe and comfortable there and the staff was great. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and thought it was a great value for the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo