“Hilton Should Pull Franchise--Health Hazards Abound”

Hampton Inn Santa Fe
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love Hampton Inn's and have stayed in them across the US. Never have I stayed in such a run down and dirty hotel as this one. I should have asked for my points back at check-out, but I didn't.

This stay was a tale of 2 personalities. Check-in and the first few hours were great. The young man who checked us in was very friendly and explained how to get to the restaurant in downtown Santa Fe we were going to that evening. He also encouraged us to park the motorcycles by the entrance so they could keep an eye on them.

Things changed after we returned from dinner. First off, we wanted to grab a couple of Cokes from the Market. Guess what?? NO MARKET in this hotel. What in the world is that all about. Only vending machines. Are we in the 90's here or something? Second, the ice machine on the second floor was completely inoperable. When asked, the front desk clerk (a woman) was very rude and said, just use the first floor machine I know the second floor doesn't work. So I went to the first floor to get ice. Take a look at the photo attached to this review. Mold and peeling wall paper and an improperly drained ice machine on the first floor. GROSS. Does the GM and franchisee actually think this is ok? I certainly hope not. I am still contemplating reporting them to the Santa Fe health department. In Houston where we live this would be considered a major health code violation.

The biggest problem with this property, other than those above, is that it is stuck in the 90's. The furniture is old and worn. The mattress...if you call that a mattress is definitely not a Hampton Inn mattress. WHen I sat on the edge of the bed all I felt was the metal frame of the mattress and the springs. It reminded me of what mattresses in a Motel 6 felt like.

This property is in need of conversion to a Comfort Inn or Motel 6. Or if the franshisee decides to do something really productive it would be renovated to 2013 standards.

As I stated in the beginning of this review I am a huge Hampton Inn fan. This one left me scratching my head.

Room Tip: Stay away until they remodel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcosPerez_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

First of all, thank you very much for your review. Thank you for leaving your feedback of your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with this. I understand that the renovation that we are going through can be misleading as far as giving an aspect of being dirty. If you noticed we had some of the machines out of that area as the walls are getting replaced. I sincerely apologized if that caused you an inconvenience. Thank you once again, we hope we can see you back at our hotel once the renovations are done.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Santa Fe

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I have to go to Santa Fe fairly often to help a friend. We always stay here because the staff is so helpful and friendly. Breakfast has improved more and more over the years. Relaxing atmosphere, convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from smoking rooms as possible. Only fault is they still have them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kendra H
MarcosPerez_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests help us to ensure the quality and comfort of our guests. We are working hard toward a smoke free environment; we should be smoke free early next year. We really appreciate your loyalty. Thank you again for choosing our Hampton Inn as your choice of lodging.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

When I arrived at the breakfast area, I went to get some eggs and potatoes. There was about 1/2 a spoonful of eggs and no potatoes in the containers. When I saw the hostess, I told her they were out and she indicated that she would take care of it. In the mean time several other guests came and found the same situation. It took over 15 minutes to get the food replenished, and then the amount put out was so small that 3 people got servings and then it was empty again. There was still 1 hour scheduled

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank James L

Thank you very much for your feedback. I do apologize for the breakfast issues you experienced during your recent stay at the Hampton Inn. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us identify and fix the problems. We hope you can give us another chance on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This Hampton inn was not as well cared for as other Hampton Inns we have stayed in. The food needs improvement. There was not enough seating when breakfast was being served, we had to eat in our room, and there is not enough table space to eat in a room. The chairs are not comfortable at all. So one person had to eat on the bed. Another words there was not enough chairs for the amount of guest that were staying at your motel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
3  Thank dolorest200
MarcosPerez_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

First of all, thank you for your review. We will be sure to address the issues you have highlighted. Our Lobby Refresh project has constrained our seating which understandably can cause inconvenience. We expect our lobby renovation to be completed soon and hence enhancing our seating capacity. Our Hampton Inn Santa Fe team welcomes you to experience our new Lobby and we promise to make it right.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

On 06 July 2013 heading down I-25 from Denver in the wind/rain/&weather, paralleling parts of the Old Santa Fe Trail, we called ahead and spoke to "Ishmael" at the Hampton Inn Santa Fe to let him know we were still on our way. Upon arrival "Carlos" did a super job of checking us in to Room 140 which was on the 1st floor but way in the "back 40," a long way from breakfast but still on the 1st floor. We look forward to the Hampton tradition of cookies on arrival, but we never happened by when the "cookie platter" was in the lobby. However, "Ishmael" came up with a cookie for each of us when we asked. There was a problem with the sink drain plug the 1st night and the microwave the 2nd night, but "Ignacio" responded and solved the problems. The breakfast area was large, and the breakfast well done. "Lupita" of the breakfast staff prepared the BEST home fries that I have ever had at a Hampton Inn: crisp on the outside, delicate on the inside, and perfect!!! We met Marcos Perez, General Manager, when we checked out and complimented him on his staff! This hotel is close enough to Old Santa Fe, and we would stay here again! Total for stay: $238.56 ($119.28/night).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank William B
MarcosPerez_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I really appreciate you meeting with me and recognizing my wonderful staff. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The trip was cross country driving a U Haul. We wanted to stop in Santa Fe on our way home with a truck load of furniture. The difficulty was finding a way to park a U Haul downtown Santa Fe. The young man at the front desk told us exactly how to get downtown and which parking lot would have room. He was right on!! We always try to stay at a Hampton Inn because of the consistency of the rooms and service. We weren't disappointed.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne G

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! We are glad that you were able to enjoy Santa Fe and the Downtown area during your visit to Santa Fe. Thank you for choosing our Hampton Inn as your choice of lodging.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We pulled into Taos late in the evening and we were tired from traveling and hiking further south in Santa Fe. We had planned to check out some of the more locally known boutique hotels, but saw the Hampton Inn when pulling into town. Since we planned to spend very little time in the hotel, and knowing that HI's are typically good, we just checked in. The desk staff was helpful, the rooms were clean and the breakfast is always adequate. If you are heading to the Plaza, this is relatively close, but if you are headed to Taos mountain, you will find this place to be at the extreme south edge of town. Regardless, it is competitively priced and a good choice.

2  Thank nadojeff

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, we are glad you had such a nice stay at our hotel. We really pride ourselves in great customer service; we enjoy delivering excellent customer service to our valued guests. Once again, thank you for your review.