“Extremely disappointing”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chapelle
Description: Trattoria Nostrani offers innovative Northern Italian cuisine with a European wine list.
Boulder, Colorado
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We travelled to Santa Fe for a very special birthday celebration and thought this would be a lovely place to celebrate. We called ahead and told them about it and they said they would do something special for us (a cake or special dessert). When we arrived we were seated in a cold and stark back diningroom. The waiter is unfriendly. The food was very expensive and mediocre in quality. Still, we looked forward to dessert. Nothing was made for us and the owner didn't even come out to talk to us about it. NEVER again.

1 Thank kimk335

Austin, TX
“Excellent Food - Romantic Setting”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We more/less stumbled upon Trattoria Nostrani after failing to get into several other local eateries on a Saturday night without a reservation.

This like others great SF eateries is within walking distance of the square.

We were treated very well by the staff - even taking our coats for us as we entered the restaurant.

Our waiter was attentive - not like other reviews I've since read.

The menu is all elegant food. So if you're used to steak and potatoes you may be a little intimidated, but do NOT let that stop you from trying this great spot.

My girlfriend and I always try to order different things then taste the others. This time I had a pumpkin flan. OK...that was a first! It was great. She had the beet salad.

For entrees I had lamb raviolis and she a Brussels spouts dish that she raved about.

Folks, this is going to be a $100 night. Just know that and go and ENJOY.

3 Thank brienoc
Santa Fe, NM
“Exceptional Dining Experience...Always!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nelli Matezos is the best, most hard working and charming chef in Santa Fe! This lovely, quiet and warm person produces the most exquisite meals in this city of fantastic eating. We always choose to eat here for a special occasion such as birthdays, anniversaries, new years, holidays and a beautiful ordinary evening of any week! Nelli never disappoints and always comes to our table to make sure all is perfect for us. Last week we enjoyed the lightest calamari fritti, autumn salads that elevate the word "salad," Diver Scallops to die for, a glossy/mahogany/"enamaled" pork belly that was rich and light at the same time, earthy and delicate wild mushroom pasta...and the best dessert we have ever had: a savory apple crostada with a bit of gorgonzola in the flaky crust. The wines were expertly chosen for us as they always are by our knowledgeable and appropriately friendly waiter. The staff here are well-regarded by both management and guests because they are so well trained, helpful and congenial. Nelli comes up with novel and surprising combinations that amuse even jaded diners of Santa Fe! Rumor has it that Trattoria Nostrani will once again be reincarnated as a restaurant of a new great-cuisine destination. France? I can't wait,although I will miss my enameled pork belly entree and that savory apple crostada! I love to cook, but never could create such masterpieces! I hope to enjoy a meal or two there over the holidays (ah! an excuse!) before the transition. Best of luck and wishes for fulfiillment and new challenges to Nelli!

3 Thank Contessadioggi
Dallas, Texas
“Best Restaurant in Santa Fe!!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have been coming to Santa Fe for over 30 years and this is by far the best restaurant in the state. The chef is so creative with her food that it is an amazing experience each time I visit. It is not inexpensive but for the quality of food and great service it is well worth it. She is an artist in the kitchen!

3 Thank Awb7bar
Chimayo, New Mexico
“The chef is a genius”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The food is always excellently and thoughtfully prepared. Service is impeccable and the wine list superb!

Visited March 2012