“Hotel had a lot of charm and you can not beat the service!!!”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Our stay was great! Service could not be better and the location is wonderful. If you are going to Santa Fe, this is the hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank gells
There are newer reviews for Inn and Spa at Loretto

Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate our anniversary over Labor Day Weekend. The hotel itself was nice. The location was superb. The room was well appointed but felt a little cramped. As others have said the bed was awesome...but we like a softer bed. We did have a door that opened to a balcony and our view was of the church which was very pretty. It was nice that the hotel had a small fitness center with 24 hour access. That's a plus for me. The lobby bar was nice and the outdoor part of the restaurant was very pretty, however, we did not have the opportunity to eat there.

On the down side, I thought the service was mediocre. I called the "guest services" line three times and no one ever answered the phone. The valet parking service was just stupid. We could have easily walked to our car, we could see it from the entry way, but the valet had our keys. During peak times you did have to wait for your car, which was aggravating since we could see it. I understand from other reviews that the hotel had a pool. I wasn't looking to swim but I never saw the pool so I can't comment on it one way or the other.

The hotel was nice and had a good location, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xkittyx
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Inn and Spa at Loretto with friends and had a wonderful stay. The hotel rooms are unique and charming. I found the reddish walls very southwestern. The room was spacious, bed very comfortable, and ample lighting throughout. The Lumanaria restaurant is very pretty, both indoors and out. The food and decor were outstanding. I also found the inside bar area very cozy and comfortable. Service levels throughout the hotel were top notch. The location is specatular, being a very short walk to the plaza area as well as Canyon Road. Finally, nice resort style pool - spacious area and very comfortaby and cushy lounge chairs. Unfortunately, I did not have time to enjoy the spa but that will definately be on the list for my next visit to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank sashabMarinaDelRey
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Easy to get to; great food; great access to downtown without being on a main street. Very nice conference facilities.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sgnorman
Reviewed July 30, 2010

we came here for a wedding and, it's true! the rooms are dark. if you want to read in your room, bring a head lamp. but, it's VERY clean, in a great location, nice southwestern decor. the beds are very, very soft. like pillow tops and then some. if you like firm beds, this may not be your place. overall, very nice if a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MomfromMcLean
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Before I book any hotel I read very carefully through the Tripadvisor reviews reading both the very positive and very negative reviews. Once before I got burned by not listening to the negative reviews about a certain hotel in Florence, and sadly this time around I hate to report that some of the negative reviews on this site about the Inn and Spa at Loretto are true too.

I will start with the positives. The location is superb. It is easily walking distance from the plaza and from Canyon Road. I think it probably has the best location of the other "high" end establishments in town. The other positive is that the staff generally seems very friendly and it is great to have the pool to lounge by in the summer. The common areas of the hotel are lovely and well kept. Also, the beds are very comfortable.

The main negative for me was my room. What others say about the rooms being dark is completely true. The bathroom was so dark that I felt like was I was showering in a dark room. The bathrooms also need a reno. They just aren't what you expect at a hotel like this. There was also no safe in the room. All in, I paid upwards of $400 a night and to not have a safe was not acceptable to me. I recommend bringing a lock for your luggage if you end up staying there. However, the worst thing for me was that the room had no windows - it had two glass doors that opened onto a common courtyard - not a private one - and that was it. So, if you wanted fresh air you couldn't get any short of leaving a door to a common courtyard open. The first night it was too cool for air conditioning, but we couldn't get any fresh air into the room short of creating a security concern for us. This is not just a good situation. I wanted to like this hotel - I really did - but for the amount I paid to stay there, I couldn't believe my room didn't have a window. Some of the rooms seemed to have windows, but there were others like mine that also had no windows. I have never encountered this before, and found it to be very odd.

Other than that the hotel was fine, although service could use a bit of improvement. Waiting ten minutes or more to be seated for a table in the dining room was not uncommon as the hostess stand seemed to go unmanned quite frequently. The same thing happened with the valet. On weekend nights when people were coming home from the opera it seemed like the cars would just pile up with no valet in sight.

Ultimately, I judge every hotel or resort by whether or not I would recommend it to my family members or friends. Sadly, I think the answer here would be "no". If you can get a room with a window for a good price ($200 or less), than it might not be a bad deal, because again it has a great location. However, to pay any more than that you may regret it.

Oh one other thing, the "spa" isn't really a traditional spa with a locker room and steam room if that is what you are looking for. It is just series of massage rooms.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beachbug
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The only word for this hotel is "stupid!" The room was painted dark, dark red, making it impossible to find even the light switches. There was not one dresser drawer for my clothes, so I used one of the beds to lay them on. There was no vanity in the bathroom, just two pedestal sinks. The only shelf for my things was so unleveled, that everything I placed on it fell in the trash can below. In addition, the charge for parking my rental car was $19/night and they wanted a $12/day charge for housekeeping. Needless to say, I only stayed two nights and was treated very rudely by the staff as I checked out. I continued my trip at a delightful Hyatt Hotel 8 miles out of town with free shuttle service to the Plaza or any other place I wished to visit. So much for a 4-star hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank arlenefros1
SandyHeydt, Public Relations Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2010

Dear Guest:
We regret that you did not enjoy your visit with us. We are very surprised by your posting, especially as the twelve most recent guest reviews on TripAdvisor were outstanding. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with the best customer service and are proud to offer our guests a truly authentic Southwestern experience. We accomplish this by having restored the interior and exterior of our hotel to resemble an ancient, Native American pueblo. As a result, some of our rooms are darker than others and we are near completion of adding white accent walls to some of these rooms, which will considerably brighten them up.

The reason why our parking charges are $19.00 per day is because it is valet parking. These charges are consistent with valet parking charges at similar hotels in Santa Fe. Additionally, our resort fee of $12 covers such highly popular services as complimentary WiFi, candies and chocolates upon arrival, morning newspaper, in room organic tea and coffee, cookie and fruit in the morning, access to the fitness and business centers, apples throughout the day, bottles of water upon departure, and the gratuity for the room attendants.

If I can be of assistance in any way, please give me a call.

Stefan Huber