“Not bad, but not my cup of tea, either...”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Not bad, but not my cup of tea, either...”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Stayed one night at the Inn at Loretto on business in early May 2010. It is one of the nicer in-town hotels, and its public areas are very attractive. Like most other hotels in Santa Fe, it is an adobe-style building and as such has small windows that render its rooms fairly dark. Many other reviewers have noted the lack of reading light, and I have to agree. The room, while nice, was like a cave, even with the lights on.

That said, the bed was comfortable, the heat worked (it was 35 degrees the night I stayed) and it was quiet. The flatscreen TV had a decent selection of channels. The bathroom, while not modern enough for my taste (even for Santa Fe) was clean and serviceable. Oh, and the high speed internet was free and awesome - watched a movie on Netflix.com with no streaming issues at all! (WOW!)

The valet parking guys were quick and polite, the front desk people were friendly and the concierge I dealt with, a lovely British woman, was most helpful. The only negative during my entire stay was that the housekeeper knocked on my door in the morning in complete obliviousness to the do not disturb sign on the doorknob, a big hotel no-no.

All in all, not a bad stay, but why am I so lukewarm in my review, I wondered. After some consideration, I realized that it is the Santa Fe hotel style in general that I do not love. If you do like this style, by all means stay. I liked it far better than the Eldorado and the Inn on the Alameda, hotels at which I stayed in previous visits. I guess I just prefer the amenities and design I find in other cities. That would certainly not be appropriate in Santa Fe, so when in Rome…

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank hartss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Texas
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Location was convenient to Plaza and the staff were excellent. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful and that's where I stop with any positive comments. Way overpriced for what you get. Room was dark - had to leave curtains open just to see around the room. Small balcony overlooking pool and parking lot. Had to walk outside after getting off elevator to get to our room. Ice machine was about 1/4 mile from our location. Couldn't believe the amount of hotel-motel taxes added on and then a "resort fee" on top of that. Resort? We would never stay there again. Terrible value.

Oakland, CA
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I thought this inn would be something special but it was really dingy and kind of depressing. It felt like a holiday inn with some new mexican kitchsy decorations on top of it. The bathroom was small and dingy- there was one small window in our room with minimal light. We could hear lots of noise in the hall late into the night and I even could hear the guy in the room next door snoring. The location was close to the square, which was nice. They waived our valet parking, also very nice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Alissa H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We got a room at the 'Santa Fe 400th birthday rate' -- a terrific deal. While the restaurant is not inexpensive, it is delicious, and service was excellent! The spa was wonderful (though would have been nice had there been showers, etc. on-site-- it was really just a massage locale). I'd definitely return - perfect location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank SMRG-WMG
Dallas
Reviewed April 20, 2010

After a bad experience at another hotel in Santa Fe, Inn at Lorreto did not disappoint!!! The room was cozy, comfortable and had all of the amenities most would need. A nice balcony with a beautiful view of the mountains. The food was great and the staff very pleasant. They were eager to please and friendly.

6 Thank flyin4fun
Dallas
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed at the hotel in a room with two queen sized beds. We had a room with a window that could open and let in fresh air. It was very soothing and beautiful to look out into the mountains. The decor was gorgeous. The bed was plush with terrific, soft linens. I didn't want to get out of bed! We were in town to relax and enjoy Santa Fe in a leisurely way. The hotel's central location made it easy to venture out and come back to the hotel and go out again. We had drinks in the lounge at Happy Hour - service was friendly and quick. The staff was helpful when we needed assistance in getting our flights changed. I loved getting coffee from the restaurant and sitting in the outside patio area near the fireplace. I highly recommend this hotel to stay in.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank PAT134231
Kansas
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Rooms, service and food were fine. Location excellent.
Not a thing to complain about. The men who helped us
unload and obtain our auto were the most helpful staff
there. The tortilla soup we HIGHLY reccomend. Very clean.
Very nice. Enjoyed it.