“A memorable July 4th, 2014 experience for the whole family...” 4 of 5 stars

Spacious Outdoor Dining
Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Antonio
“A memorable July 4th, 2014 experience for the whole family...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Wow! What can I say...The staff was extremely accommodating considering that my (3) room choices were incorrect based upon the number of guests that I was bringing. The staff truly went above and beyond their duties to ensure a pleasant experience for 3 generations of my family during the July 4th Holiday week. I appreciate the attentive service, the prompt repairs when necessary, and more than enough thoughtful comments, directions to locations, and recommendations for good cuisine. A definite choice for future visits and possibly small business conferences. Thank you all for a wonderful experience. Planning a visit, please enjoy it - a wonderful experience just off of the Square. And the art displays in the park, the Pancake Breakfast on the Square and the antique auto show really made everyone's July 4th a great day. Best regard, Dr. A

Room Tip: I would choose a room with a small balcony so that you can see the town or the mountains.
Green Features: Appropriate environmental friendly practice given its 5 star rating.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank DoctorArnemann
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear DoctorArnemann,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate the time you took to post a review. Knowing you will return for leisure, and possibly a business meeting, is the best compliment we could receive. We are honored to have hosted you and your family over July 4th weekend and look forward to celebrating many more holidays with you. Thank you again. We hope your travels bring you back to Santa Fe, and the Inn, soon!

Tom McCann, General Manager, Inn and Spa at Loretto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

I was disappointed with the Inn & Spa at Loretto, which I rate as distinctly below expectations.

I was particularly peeved at having to pay for valet parking when my car was parked within just a few feet of the main entrance, though hidden from view. While I don't object to paying for on-site parking per se, the fact that using the valet is compulsory is frustrating: having to produce tips every time you want to sit in your car is a pain. $21 per night for parking is also pretty steep: I've paid less in city locations with much more limited space than Santa Fe.

Unfortunately, the balcony in my room was unusable as several pigeons had taken roost, shitting all over the place, and cooing and fighting at night. I tried to scare them off, but they kept returning. Some simple chicken wire would do the trick and prevent the birds returning.

Finally, the mini-bar in the room was described as an honour-bar. In the version of English that I speak, this means that it is left to the guest to be honourable and inform the establishment of what had been consumed, so that this can be added to the bill. At check-out, I was told that my card would be charged later for the mini-bar, when housekeeping had done their checks. I objected to this, as using my UK-registered card incurs a charge on each non-Sterling transaction. It also seems especially dishonourable to call into question the honour of an honourable guest who is reporting what he consumed from the honour-bar. If it's just a bar, Inn & Spa at Loretto, call it a bar, not an honour-bar.

My top tip on this hotel: save your pennies and go somewhere else. These scroungers make enough money on the guests that don't know any better. That won't be me again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Neil_London_78
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and were on the 2nd floor so we hardly had to use the elevator. The hotel is very charming with the historical prints in the halls. Even though we did not have a balcony, our room had big windows that open and the afternoon sun mixed with the rain gave the room a European feel. Breakfast on the outside patio restaurant is relaxing . We also tried the happy hour in the lobby/library after 9 pm and it's a large comfortable lounge with a fireplace and a friendly staff. The location of the hotel is central to the museums and walking around the various shops. I was happy that mgt would send us a Santa Fe brochure before our visit.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I agree with those who stated that they thought this would be a higher end hotel than it was. We had a lovely room with a balcony and though small, it was comfortable. Parts of it were a little shabby and the armchairs definitely needed a thorough cleaning. No turndown service. Wish there had been a listing of tv channels as I never seemed to be able to find that. Also, some channels worked and some didn't--seemed to be a connection issue because I had to reposition it "just so" every day after the housekeeper came to get clear reception. Spa was wonderful with great service but rather expensive. Same for the restaurant, but the food and service there at dinner was TRULY SPECTACULAR. Breakfast was another story--still wonderful food but exceedingly slow service and poorly trained staff. The last morning of my stay, I called room service several times to order breakfast and never could reach anyone. I ended up calling the front desk who had the restaurant call me back, but by that time, I'd already dressed and picked up a croissant from the bakery a couple blocks away. Bar/lounge is open late, but doesn't serve food, so no convenient place to have a bite after the opera. Overall, it was a good trip, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to return to this hotel. Better to find someplace where I get more what I pay for.

Green Features: Pretty standard (towel on floor means replace, on hook means ill use it another day). I didn't notice anything else.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Maggie8276
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Maggie,

We sincerely appreciate the time to post a review and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, as well as dinner and your spa treatment. I am however disappointed to learn that your experience with breakfast and in-room dining did not meet the level of exceptional service we are known for. Please know these issues were immediately addressed with the team. We have also inspected the room you stayed in and replaced the missing TV guide and fixed the faulty TV reception. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused during your stay. Regarding the Living Room, we do serve a light fare from 2pm – 11pm daily, however I know the Opera can go quite late so this may not have accommodated your needs. Please know however that we are looking into a possible solution for late night dining during Opera season.

Thank you again for your valued feedback and patronage. We do hope you’ll consider a stay with us again in the future as I know we can make it a memorable one.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and arrived early as we had only driven from Taos. The reception staff were helpful in allocating a room which was ready for us immediately.

The room was large enough for 4 - 2 queen beds. We were overlooking the church next door which provided a nice view. The bathroom was good and well supplied with towels. My only comment would be that the room would benefit from another mirror - there was only one in the bathroom so if someone was in the bathroom it was inaccessible to others. I'm also not too happy about using a hairdryer in the bathroom but there was nowhere else.

We used the pool which was in a beautiful garden and quiet on the day we were there - at least it was until our boys jumped in! There were plenty of loungers and towels and the bar staff checked regularly if we needed anything.

There was a charge of $21 for parking and $15 for "hotel services". As these are unavoidable, I think they should be included in the room price which was otherwise very reasonable.

We appreciated that the same guy on the valet park also took our bags to our room - so only one tip needed. Some of the big hotels have separate valet parking and bellboys so you have shed out several tips before you have even got to your room which is totally unnecessary.

The hotel is well located - only a few minutes from the main square.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Rachel K!

Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn and Spa at Loretto. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. You feedback regarding additional mirrors in the room has been noted and will be taken into consideration. Thank you for your compliments to our pool, amenities and valet team. We hope your travels bring you back to Santa Fe and the Inn soon!

Warm Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Our stay was brief, but we did have dinner that night & everyone that worked there was very nice. There was 1 busboy (man) that went way above & beyond to help tell us where to go eat for lunch, etc. He was even "off" & still made it a point to help us. All of his recommendations proved great! I think that the front desk staff wasn't as warm & fuzzy as I would have liked & not that knowledgeable, nor did they offer much help. Seemed as if they were busy amongst themselves. It is a great location & hooked on to an amazing holy landmark that was very interesting. Great walking distance to everything you want to do there......My favorite place on this trip was Hotel Andaluz in Albuquerque - beautiful, best toiletries ever & HUGE rooms!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Tanya L
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I was under the impression that this is a high end hotel. I was disappointed. let me start with the [positives: The hotel is lovely, clean, and well located to the town plaza. Most things are within walking distance. The restaurant had a lovely breakfast (I did not try their dinner menu.) Now the downside: You get nickel and dimed: valet parking is $21 per day, even if you do not move your car; there is no evening turndown, lighting all around the hotel is very low, including in the room; the room refrigerator did not have an ice tray and there was no ice machine on the floor; there was no ful length mirror in my room; the magnetic door keys were constantly failing so I had to go to the desk on a number of occasions to have it reactivated; there was no listing of TV stations provided; and I found the front desk staff and bell hops to be inexperienced, not terribly knowledgeable and poorly trained. One didn't even know which direction to turn when we got off the elevator to get to a particular room. On the other hand, the wait-staff was excellent. For the price, I would not stay there again. Oh, I also found the spa prices to be high.

Room Tip: rooms facing the pool are brighter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank operadiva1210
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear operadiva1210,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I’m disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further. I’d also like to know what room you were in so we may replace the TV listing chart as it seems the one in the room was missing. Please note, there are ice machines located on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, and we do offer complimentary ice service through room service. In addition, we are always happy to schedule turndown service upon request.

The additional items you mentioned regarding the front desk staff have been noted and were immediately addressed with the team. I have provided my contact information to you via direct message and would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. Your feedback is very appreciated and helps us to improve our guest services.

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and that you had a great experience with the service team. I sincerely hope you’ll consider staying with us again as I know we can exceed your expectations and turn your “very disappointing stay” into a “very satisfactory” stay.

Thank you again. I look forward to hearing from you.