“Great location, good staff, comfy room, nice restaurant, a few rough edges”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My sister and I booked a 3-night Luxury Link package and enjoyed our stay here very much. I had stayed several years ago and the hotel rooms have been redecorated since then. The hotel wasn't perfect then either, nor is it perfect now. The best thing about it is the location, a short walk to Canyon Road and also to the plaza. We were given room 416, a grande vista king with a miniscule balcony. The room was a very good size, with two comfortable chairs, a desk, and plenty of room for a rollaway bed. There was a non-working fireplace with a large flat-screen TV mounted over it. There was also a CD player which was a nice touch, and a minibar and coffeemaker (with surprisingly good in-room coffee). The bathroom had two sinks which was handy for getting ready in the morning. The king four-poster bed was very comfy and the linens were high-quality. There was no fan in the bathroom, no light in the shower, and one of the other lights in the bathroom did not work. Overall the lighting in the room was inadequate. I do not care for the dark red walls, and it is very strange that they did not bother to repair the walls before they painted, and that they used glossy paint which is just bizarre. Our package included a three-course dinner which was very good -- especially the fresh sweet pea soup, the scallops, and creme brulee. It also included breakfast each morning which was excellent. Service varied from outstanding to downright neglectful depending on the server. There is an outdoor pool with fairly comfortable chaise lounge chairs, and food and drinks can be ordered poolside although service was lax. Our package also included 2 massages which were OK but not great (mine was supposed to be 50 minutes but was actually only 45). One nice feature of the package was that it included valet parking, the resort fee, taxes, and tips (otherwise these charges really add up). I would definitely stay here again, mainly for the location, but probably only if I could get a similar package.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank lisak12
There are newer reviews for Inn and Spa at Loretto

Reviewed August 17, 2008

This was a family (adult) trip celebrating my in-laws 50th anniversary, their were 8 of us including myself. This was our second choice of a hotel, the first one having been changed because of negative reviews on Tripadvisor.com! First, let me say, this is price withstanding. It was a gift from our very generous family. That said, let me say it was nothing less than fabulous. Each room was a little different in configuration, but it's an older hotel. so we were not surprised. Facilities were immaculate, our room was not only spacious, with lovely porch, but a bed that was better than ours at home (and I LOVE my bed at home). CLEAN. Everything was very, very clean! Fireplace in room was fake, but who cares. Drapes made room so dark, we never knew it was day til we woke up & opened them! Bed was AMAZING, did I mention that?! Shower was great, fine water pressure. Flat screen t.v., small but ample sitting area. Room service was great, food was fresh and delicious. Had a drink in the bar, very nice & creative. Pool looked nice, but location was too perfect to waste any time "lounging". We loved this hotel, and we'd come here again, even if we were paying!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank MicheleMemphis
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed here during our wedding weekend, as did about 50 percent of our 175 guests. Everybody loved it. It was the ideal central location that initially drew us in, and the lobby bar served as a home base for all of our excursions. I must say several friends upgraded to balcony rooms (so much nicer!) after seeing the dark, cramped standard rooms. We stayed in a suite, which was stunning and massive (I got ready for the wedding there), with two balconies and a gorgeous bathroom. It was amazing to toast each other with champagne from the rooftop as we watched our guests walking home through the streets from the wedding venue, and to wake up with such beautiful mountain views in the morning. The bed was luxurious and comfortable.

The pool is one of the nicest in town, and we spent at last one afternoon enjoying drinks and lunch poolside. The food was good. the management and the valets and bartenders were all top-notch professionals. The thing I dislike about the hotel are the mall-like bowels on the lower floor.

In the spa, I had an incredible massage that lulled me to sleep after 4 days of wedding craziness, and then slipped into a private aromatherapy bath. We are heading back in a few weeks, and we look forward to staying there again and taking in the renovations and service upgrades mentioned in recent reviews.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank eeleeleel
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Booked a 2 and 3 night Luxury Link auction packages. Given Room 349. Beware. Room is looks at parking garage and is over loading dock. Trucks start beeping and backing in at 7 AM.
No luxury at the Inn. Hotel management unreasonable to work with. Room description did not match actual room. Excuse given that they were sold out and re-writing their room descriptions. Stayed one night and moved to another property. Lost second night of two day package. Hotel refused to refund unused second night. Charge over $600 for single night in room over loading dock. Terrible experience. Received full refund of 3 night package after complaint filed with Luxury Link.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank travelmaven54Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Undergoing a change in ownership/management is usually painful for all concerned. In this case it is a sad day for the clients. This place has been under renovation for quite awhile. Overall I was not impressed with the Inn for the price.

A beautiful property in an excellent location in Santa Fe; the Inn is easy walking distance to Canyon Road Galleries and downtown Plaza, with a municipal bus stop right out the side gate on Alameda. You can ride the buses all day everywhere for $2. SF taxi service is relatively expensive.

The hotel desk service staff were either novice or stressed out from training novices. There is no bellhop service to take your bags up or down. The valets are very pressured at times and folks were waiting a long time for their cars. We took Sandia Shuttle from the airport, so we left our 4 pieces of luggage with the concierge before check in/out time and had to argue to get a receipt for them, both coming and going! The concierge is iffy. Go to the wonderful State Vistor Center two blocks south on Old SF Trail for lots of info, free maps and coupons.

The hotel room was very clean and the maid quickly brought me a working iron and different pillows. Too bad they painted the room a dark red and since Santa Fe has gone "green" the flourescent light bulbs just don't get it. WE were lucky to have a nice private balcony with chairs and table and a view of mountains, so we kept the curtains open on the french doors otherwise the place was dark as a tomb and there was NO art in the room. All over the halls and grounds, but none in room.

The only mirror was over the double pedestal sink, and bathroom storage and layout is ridiculous with the closet in there. Take hanging toiletry kits and a makeup mirror! There is some drawer space in the armoire and nightstand.

The desk chair seat was broken. They have a big fake Kiva in the corner of the room which comes in handy for using as a storage shelf but crowds the armchairs. There was a coffee maker with no place to put it except the bathroom floor. NO maps of hotel or area or other hard copy in folder, just menues for room service and spa. There are no written directions for using the free internet, you have to call the desk, which number was incorrectly listed along with housekeeping's and maintenance's. We had a refrigerator in the locked cabinet we didn't know about the first 4 nights until another guest told us about it. And the TV choice represents the latest in hotels hidden fees with PPV and internet access charges unless you have At&T. After walking up hills all day I was too tired to surf or watch TV anyway!

I did not sleep well. The king bed was lumpy and sagged in the middle on my side. The A/C made an annoying periodic buzzing all night and when the maintenance man came to check it the third day ( I called them the second day) he said we had one of the quieter units in the whole place. They redecorated the rooms without replacing the old units. New units will be a different size so they will have to tear out walls, etc.

The little gym, in an outbuilding, had two new treads w/ TVs and headsets, and a bike, some yoga mats, and a small freeweight selection. The A/C was broken but there was a cooler of spring water and towels, so sweating was in order anyway. Gym looks out over parking lot.

Although a large and well appointed space, their spa prices are very high for the area. A little research will get you a much better deal at several spas close by. I suggest High Desert Healthcare on East Palace for a Shiatsu massage around $90 incl tax.

The hotel's big spotless pool is only around 80 degrees, but plenty of chaise lounges and tables and umbrellas are placed to enjoy the climate and they provide big towels poolside. Get your sun before noon in monsoon season! It rained late each day, which helped me deal with the dry air. I took ginger for the altitude and only had one headache.

The food at Baleen was GREAT! but not inexpensive or what you would call traditional and is no longer a seafood restaurant. Our last day they were tearing apart the restaurant but keeping the chef. We had to eat in the bar. Service was spotty. The pour in the bar was not generous at $10 a call. They had a really good singer most nights, though. My husband said the conference facility was great and the meals the hotel provided his group were very good.

Good bar closeby: Coyote Cafe rooftop down on W Water St. My favorite food was at Guadalupe Cafe, only a couple of blocks south of the Loretto on Old SF Trail; Chipolte red enchilada sauce to die for! The Tea House at the top of Canyon or Cafe Des Artisties at the bottom, are good for a light meal or chai when gallery hopping.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank WestForkZee
Reviewed July 26, 2008

What a charming hotel in an ideal location- within walking distance of all the great shops and restaurants. We spent 4th of July weekend in Santa Fe- Pancakes on the Square was fun.The spa is nice, the workout facility is very small and not ventilated well, but the streets are nice for running- Cayon street if you can handle the elevation. Some great restaurants to try: La Casa Sena is charming for lunch (patio), Pasqual's, and the Pink Adobe (one of the dishes was not service with the sauce and they removed it from the bill without a word mentioned by us (great service). If you travel in the summer bring a coat or light sweater for evenings outdoors. Great hotel, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank CATrvl08
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I stayed at the Inn and Spa at Loretto as a 60th birthday gift for my Mom with my two sisters for 4 nights in July. Don't panic if you have booked this hotel there is nothing wrong with it! Is it the most fabulous place I have stayed, no. But it was perfectly comfortable and the staff was extremely pleasant and very helpful. I stayed here with my husband several years ago and I do agree that the decor is much too dark, and be prepared for the extra charges when booking. However I booked two vista grande balcony rooms through hotels.com for the four of us and expected to pay the 10$ resort charge daily on each room and the Loretto only charged me for one room which I thought was very fair. The location is perfect and the beds were very comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. After reading the tripadvisor reviews I was worried before the trip but I was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family