“Fab wedding headquarters”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed here during our wedding weekend, as did about 50 percent of our 175 guests. Everybody loved it. It was the ideal central location that initially drew us in, and the lobby bar served as a home base for all of our excursions. I must say several friends upgraded to balcony rooms (so much nicer!) after seeing the dark, cramped standard rooms. We stayed in a suite, which was stunning and massive (I got ready for the wedding there), with two balconies and a gorgeous bathroom. It was amazing to toast each other with champagne from the rooftop as we watched our guests walking home through the streets from the wedding venue, and to wake up with such beautiful mountain views in the morning. The bed was luxurious and comfortable.

The pool is one of the nicest in town, and we spent at last one afternoon enjoying drinks and lunch poolside. The food was good. the management and the valets and bartenders were all top-notch professionals. The thing I dislike about the hotel are the mall-like bowels on the lower floor.

In the spa, I had an incredible massage that lulled me to sleep after 4 days of wedding craziness, and then slipped into a private aromatherapy bath. We are heading back in a few weeks, and we look forward to staying there again and taking in the renovations and service upgrades mentioned in recent reviews.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank eeleeleel

Reviewed July 30, 2008

Booked a 2 and 3 night Luxury Link auction packages. Given Room 349. Beware. Room is looks at parking garage and is over loading dock. Trucks start beeping and backing in at 7 AM.
No luxury at the Inn. Hotel management unreasonable to work with. Room description did not match actual room. Excuse given that they were sold out and re-writing their room descriptions. Stayed one night and moved to another property. Lost second night of two day package. Hotel refused to refund unused second night. Charge over $600 for single night in room over loading dock. Terrible experience. Received full refund of 3 night package after complaint filed with Luxury Link.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank travelmaven54Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Undergoing a change in ownership/management is usually painful for all concerned. In this case it is a sad day for the clients. This place has been under renovation for quite awhile. Overall I was not impressed with the Inn for the price.

A beautiful property in an excellent location in Santa Fe; the Inn is easy walking distance to Canyon Road Galleries and downtown Plaza, with a municipal bus stop right out the side gate on Alameda. You can ride the buses all day everywhere for $2. SF taxi service is relatively expensive.

The hotel desk service staff were either novice or stressed out from training novices. There is no bellhop service to take your bags up or down. The valets are very pressured at times and folks were waiting a long time for their cars. We took Sandia Shuttle from the airport, so we left our 4 pieces of luggage with the concierge before check in/out time and had to argue to get a receipt for them, both coming and going! The concierge is iffy. Go to the wonderful State Vistor Center two blocks south on Old SF Trail for lots of info, free maps and coupons.

The hotel room was very clean and the maid quickly brought me a working iron and different pillows. Too bad they painted the room a dark red and since Santa Fe has gone "green" the flourescent light bulbs just don't get it. WE were lucky to have a nice private balcony with chairs and table and a view of mountains, so we kept the curtains open on the french doors otherwise the place was dark as a tomb and there was NO art in the room. All over the halls and grounds, but none in room.

The only mirror was over the double pedestal sink, and bathroom storage and layout is ridiculous with the closet in there. Take hanging toiletry kits and a makeup mirror! There is some drawer space in the armoire and nightstand.

The desk chair seat was broken. They have a big fake Kiva in the corner of the room which comes in handy for using as a storage shelf but crowds the armchairs. There was a coffee maker with no place to put it except the bathroom floor. NO maps of hotel or area or other hard copy in folder, just menues for room service and spa. There are no written directions for using the free internet, you have to call the desk, which number was incorrectly listed along with housekeeping's and maintenance's. We had a refrigerator in the locked cabinet we didn't know about the first 4 nights until another guest told us about it. And the TV choice represents the latest in hotels hidden fees with PPV and internet access charges unless you have At&T. After walking up hills all day I was too tired to surf or watch TV anyway!

I did not sleep well. The king bed was lumpy and sagged in the middle on my side. The A/C made an annoying periodic buzzing all night and when the maintenance man came to check it the third day ( I called them the second day) he said we had one of the quieter units in the whole place. They redecorated the rooms without replacing the old units. New units will be a different size so they will have to tear out walls, etc.

The little gym, in an outbuilding, had two new treads w/ TVs and headsets, and a bike, some yoga mats, and a small freeweight selection. The A/C was broken but there was a cooler of spring water and towels, so sweating was in order anyway. Gym looks out over parking lot.

Although a large and well appointed space, their spa prices are very high for the area. A little research will get you a much better deal at several spas close by. I suggest High Desert Healthcare on East Palace for a Shiatsu massage around $90 incl tax.

The hotel's big spotless pool is only around 80 degrees, but plenty of chaise lounges and tables and umbrellas are placed to enjoy the climate and they provide big towels poolside. Get your sun before noon in monsoon season! It rained late each day, which helped me deal with the dry air. I took ginger for the altitude and only had one headache.

The food at Baleen was GREAT! but not inexpensive or what you would call traditional and is no longer a seafood restaurant. Our last day they were tearing apart the restaurant but keeping the chef. We had to eat in the bar. Service was spotty. The pour in the bar was not generous at $10 a call. They had a really good singer most nights, though. My husband said the conference facility was great and the meals the hotel provided his group were very good.

Good bar closeby: Coyote Cafe rooftop down on W Water St. My favorite food was at Guadalupe Cafe, only a couple of blocks south of the Loretto on Old SF Trail; Chipolte red enchilada sauce to die for! The Tea House at the top of Canyon or Cafe Des Artisties at the bottom, are good for a light meal or chai when gallery hopping.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank WestForkZee
Reviewed July 26, 2008

What a charming hotel in an ideal location- within walking distance of all the great shops and restaurants. We spent 4th of July weekend in Santa Fe- Pancakes on the Square was fun.The spa is nice, the workout facility is very small and not ventilated well, but the streets are nice for running- Cayon street if you can handle the elevation. Some great restaurants to try: La Casa Sena is charming for lunch (patio), Pasqual's, and the Pink Adobe (one of the dishes was not service with the sauce and they removed it from the bill without a word mentioned by us (great service). If you travel in the summer bring a coat or light sweater for evenings outdoors. Great hotel, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank CATrvl08
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I stayed at the Inn and Spa at Loretto as a 60th birthday gift for my Mom with my two sisters for 4 nights in July. Don't panic if you have booked this hotel there is nothing wrong with it! Is it the most fabulous place I have stayed, no. But it was perfectly comfortable and the staff was extremely pleasant and very helpful. I stayed here with my husband several years ago and I do agree that the decor is much too dark, and be prepared for the extra charges when booking. However I booked two vista grande balcony rooms through hotels.com for the four of us and expected to pay the 10$ resort charge daily on each room and the Loretto only charged me for one room which I thought was very fair. The location is perfect and the beds were very comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. After reading the tripadvisor reviews I was worried before the trip but I was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank MissPPP
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel and from the moment we arrived, everything was fabulous. The guest rooms were extremely comfortable and very well-equipped for our four-night stay. We dined in the restaurant and the bar, as well as had lunch by the pool, and the food and service was outstanding in all three areas. The concierge desk was very helpful in guiding us around the area and made very helpful suggestions, as did the front desk staff. The spa staff was excellent and the services we received there were wonderful. It is located in the best part of town and near numerous restuarants, shops and attractions. I stopped by a couple of other hotels while there and neither had the ambience or attraction that the Inn and Spa at Loretto provided. I would highly recommend this beautiful, historic hotel and am looking forward to a return trip!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
8  Thank mrscarob
Reviewed June 28, 2008

- If you want to pay 4-stars price in a 2 1/2 stars quality room, you're in the right place.

- The hotel building is very nice, but the quality inside is just not what I had expected.

- The newly renovated rooms are dark, very dark, nothing like what you see in their website at all.

- Mandatory valet parking is not a good system for the small front entrance that they have.... also, I saw only 5-6 valet staffs during the peak hours... just not worth your $16 parking fee.

- What's $10 resort fee for!!!! the fitness room is very small. Actually it's the smallest fitness room I've ever seen in any 4 stars hotels. To make it worse, the fitness room is not in the hotel building, it's in the parking lot.... And the hallway is just dark (due to the new interior design)

- The pool man was cleaning the pool at 9:30am when the guests were swimming. He could have done it much earlier, like 7am. I didn't expect this to happen in a 4 stars hotel at all.

- The best thing about this location is "LOCATION" ... that's it.

I had a good time in Santa Fe, wonderful art galleries, great foods, nice people..... the only bad thing in my trip was this hotel ... (ok, it's not that bad, it's just not worth what they are charging)

*** keep in mind that, for this hotel, you need to pay $16 (parking fee) + $10 (resort fee) on top of the rate, and the total hotel tax in Santa Fe is another 14%

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David_Boulder
shuber, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2008

Thank you for the feedback.

We appreciate the comments that our visitors have recently posted on Tripadvisor.com about the service and décor at Inn and Spa at Loretto. We hear what you are saying and want to let you know what we are doing about things. Regarding service, we’ve had a complete management change. I recently took the general manager’s post only two months ago. We are now fully staffed and with new training and service programs that are being implemented, we will make sure that service levels are maintained and guest expectations are met.

In addition, we are in the final stages of a $7.5 million renovation. We recognize that the current design calls for more lighting in the rooms which will be added by the end of August. Although there will be continuous renovations throughout the remainder of the year, these improvements will have limited impact on the guest experience. Final renovation activities include meeting room upgrades, enhancements to the Lobby Lounge and new furniture in the guest rooms.

We appreciate your patience as we’ve been going through these changes.

Stefan Huber