WINNER WONDERLAND

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Durango, Colorado
“Great location next to Loretto Chapel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great location for our first visit to Sante Fe. The hotel is beautiful outside. Inside is very nice. Our room was certainly comfortable & roomy. The hotel is right next door to Loretto Chapel & walking distance of The Plaza & most things you would want to see. We had dinner reservations @ Luminaria Restaurant on Thanksgiving night so that may have been why our menu was limited. There was a price fix of $65 each for 3 courses (appetizer, entree, dessert). I have to say the food was excellent & they did offer turkey, but $65 for turkey is a little pricey! Our bill for 2 of us was $200 (we each had 1 drink). I would probably stay here again, but maybe wouldn't eat @ this restaurant unless it were a special anniversary or something.

2 Thank Michelle M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel with an array of southwestern artistic shops. Large bar area with entertainment nightly. Twice weekly free yoga. Rooms were large but lightning wasn't very bright. Extra charges added approximately $35 daily to a $199 room fee. $18 daily for parking a car. Central location near Loretto Chapel and the Cathedral. Not far from the square and the public activities it embodies.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tramel
Northwestern New Jrsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel and great services. Yummy quilts on the bed, adaquate gym, great restaurants and excellent services. It's located right in the heart of the main town, right off the square. You could probably walk to Canyon Road but save your energey and legs...cause that's an all day affaire. But such nice shops in the lobby you didn't really have to leave!!

Room Tip: All the views were great, especially at night. If you have the money, the "apartment" on...
6 Thank Edwid
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Inn and Spa at Loretto looks fabulous from the outside. It is built in the traditional adobe style allowing it to nicely blend in to the neighbourhood. The inside - both the public areas and the rooms - also reflect the Southwest with dark tiles, colourful blankets and tapestries and a kiva fireplace (at least in my room - #245).

I stayed in the hotel while attending a conference. The room rate of $139/night struck me as a very good price and I knew when I booked the room that there was a $14/day "resort fee". I find these annoying and unfortunately becoming all too popular at resorts throughout the U.S. but it wasn't a surprise. Others who have commented negatively about the fee should have known it would be charged and could have stayed elsewhere.

While I did not eat in the restaurant (we ate in a group in the private meeting rooms) I found the food to be good. Over several days we got a whirlwind tour of Southwest specialties and we weren't disappointed.

On the negative side, I found the hotel to be very dark including my room. Like another reviewer, I found the air conditioning system to quite noisy which did impact my sleep somewhat. The hotel is also looking just a little dated. I first stayed here in 2005 and didn't find that much has changed since then. However, you can't beat the location - mere steps from the downtown square and a short walk to Canyon Road and the multitude of galleries.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank John B
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Room decor was very Santa Fe and cozy. I think there were 5 table lamps, plus track lights and a fireplace. Had an issue with hot water in the shower and bed was comfortable, but so soft our backs hurt a bit.. Spa service had great decor too and friendly service. Worth doing, but not as good as some other places we have visited when traveling. Drinks were a hi-lite; garden herbs in their concoctions which change weekly. All food was restaurant quality and delicious! Patio, airy and relaxing. Shops right across the street. We are ready to go back did not experience issues raised by some others. In fact, we had room service both days and the servers we encountered were cheerful and helpful. We thought the service fee was a little odd too, but you can't let little things ruin your fun. We traveled with friends celebrating birthdays and an engagement - they were happy too.

Room Tip: We asked for mountain view, but because we were on ground floor, there wasn't much view. We als...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KK S
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a really nice boutique hotel just a few blocks from the square. Right next door to the famous Loretto Chapel with the mystery staircase. The rooms are large but the bathrooms are a little on the small side but entirely adequate. They have a nice lounge area with comfortable seating and good entertainment on weekends.
The restaurant is really good but pricey. We got a great deal of 109.00 per night on a Living Social deal but another couple did not. However they were able to get a rate of 159.00 per night with a 50.00 per day credit to be used at the spa, restaurant, bar, or in room service so they came out well also. All in all I would stay here again if I could get the great rate.
We were disappointed that they did not have any fireplaces outside lit because of the time of year but we all felt we would have been happy to sit outside if they would have provided us with some warmth. The weather was actually quite nice, just a little crisp.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a corner room with the large patio. We were lucky enough to get one but the other...
3 Thank Okie11
Dennis M, Director of Operations at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Inn and Spa at Loretto on TripAdvisor. This city truly is amazing and we are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Santa Fe. I appreciate your comments regarding our location, rooms, and restaurant. Also, I thank you for mentioning our Living Social deal and Signature Package. I am thrilled you will return. Please feel free to contact me upon your next arrival.

Dennis Marcinik
Director of Operations
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I visited this hôtel as I made my way across the USA last month. It was recommended by my travel agent. I have visited many hotels across the world through years of travelling for business and pleasure but I can honestly say that I have never had a more negative experience.
However here are the positives- central position within Santa Fe, comfortable bed, cleanliness of the rooms.
The negatives are so numerous that I find it hard to write this review. Rather than go into all the details which could lead to a very lenghty epistle I'll focus on the main factors.
When you pay the costs of a hotel like the Inn you expect a certain standard of accommodation and staffing within the hotel as well as setting. While the hotel certainly delivered in terms of setting it failed to do so in all other aspects.
The room in which I stayed was like the Black Hole of Calcutta for most of the day. Luckily there was a patio which allowed me to receive some sunlight during my stay. The air conditioning sounded like an large aircraft coming into land, which was not conducive to sleeping. Since you are charged $14 dollars PER DAY for incidentals as a matter of course I would have expected that water in the room would have been free but this is not the case. It would have been paid for separately. ( I know this because another guest fell into this trap). The bathroom was clean but its decor was tired to say the least.
Staffing - surly, unhelpful, disinterested, ... I could go on but I am sure that I have said enough. The only thing that I can say in their favour is that many of the guests were having the same experience as myself. Checking should have given me an indicator of what was to come: young couple still waiting for their room 4 hours after they had arrived, another guest having a "discussion" with two receptionist over the number of rooms booked, an elderly couple trying to get their room changed with no success. Things could only have gotten better but they didn't.
In my opinion this is a hotel trying to be a something that it is not - a first class hotel. I would like to have said that there is potential but unless there is a huge turnaround here there is not.
In addition I find a hotel that automatically charges their guests $14 everyday for incidentals is quite unacceptable. In all my years of travel I have never had this experience anywhere else in the world.

Room Tip: Don't book one here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo