“Terrible, terrible, terrible”

The Lodge at Santa Fe
Ranked #35 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed March 14, 2007

This was absolutely not a three star hotel. The first thing my 14 year old said when we walked into the main lobby was, "Mom this hotel smells like grandma's nursing home". The nursing home smells horrible by the way. So we check in and go to our room. The smell in the room was sickening so we immediately checked out and had to request a refund from Expedia that will take 5 days. I didn't care that I had to wait because there was no way I was staying at this hotel. We found a phone book and found a Holiday Inn instead and were totally happy. My recommendation is not to stay at The Lodge of Santa Fe or be prepared not to have an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank lpsimmons
There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Santa Fe

Reviewed March 4, 2007

While reading reviews, I was hesitate to book. Knowing that trip advisor is personal reactions to what the actual guest sees and feels made me wonder. Being a retired military spouse knowing the Vet Memorial Cemetery is across the main street made me want to see white crosses with a mountain backdrop a must when seeing the Capital of New Mexico. The Lodge is on top of a hill looking at the downtown area of Santa Fe. Only hotel I could find that does that. A friendly hello and a pleasant smile greeted us. A room was discussed and we got to choose the view. No swimming pool because of weather but a hot tub was available. Meals had the view of the mountains and that made it taste better. Drinks with a sunset can not be described. While it was not on the Plaza it was easy to get to and made easier twice with a comp shuttle downtown. I will go back if only to see the view again.

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank Karen A
Reviewed January 30, 2007

I had the misfortune of staying at the Lodge while working in Santa Fe for 4 months. The rooms were dirty, the carpet and bedspreads had stains everywhere. The phone system was ridiculous - you couldn't call another room and the phone would ring for no reason in the middle of the night. The pool was filthy, the hot tub was taped off and left that way for weeks. Their billing was also the worst - they couldn't figure out who was coming or going. The back parking lot is unsafe - there was a car vandalized during my stay. There was a switch in management towards the end of my stay and their incompetence was astounding. Some of the staff were very pleasant and helpful but unfortunately, management just couldn't get it together. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank stillworking
Reviewed October 27, 2006

We stayed here in for four nights in late June/early July. We really wanted to like the Lodge, but were quite disappointed. I wrote to the general manager and New Mexico Heritage Hotels, but never received any reply to the letter about our concerns. Examples: the roll-away bed had a mattress pad for one of the blankets; after asking 3 times over the course of one day to get a squeaky door fixed (they said someone had done it), I finally borrowed the WD-40 from the front desk and took 5 seconds to fix it myself; the air conditioning unit was partially off the wall and unable to cool the room adequately - they said it would be fixed but it was not; the pool was short of towels every day except the last; we tried to get more than one glass for our room, and were assured that one would be left for us, but it was not; the hot tub was not working the whole time we were there; the first room we were put in did not have the pull-out couch that it was supposed to have; housekeeping staff did not restock tea bags; bedspreads were stained and worn looking; lightbulbs were missing when we went to turn on lights. We loved the size of the mini-suite room, the heated pool was a treat, the view of the mountains and the city was wonderful. But the overall experience was of a disorganized, poorly run place that was coming apart at the seams.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank heddlemaid
Reviewed October 4, 2006

The hotel is beautiful to behold, and is in a nice location, but the management and staff were AWOL.

I arrived at the hotel at 10:00 pm, and was given a room -- only to find that the beds had been slept in, and there were dirty linens on the floor. When I called and patiently asked for the problem to be resolved, the girl at the desk sarcastically asked me: "what do you want me to do? Do you want me to come and pack your bags for you?"

Very angry, I went down to the desk to "discuss" the predicament, but relented somewhat when I saw what the young woman was dealing with; The phone was ringing off the wall, people were checking in, she was getting complaints about water leaks, I was the second person that night who had been put in a dirty room, and there was no one in sight to help her. When I asked her if someone had called in sick, she said: " no -- people like to quit here. You wouldn't believe the management."

She upgraded my room as recompense, but there were odd little things that happened all week; the phone answering service didn't work, and the desk refused to give out the code on how to get the messages; a rude bartender kept a substantial tip for himself when it was intended to be change; there was a LOUD wedding that went on all hours, and the vending machine stole my money.

I think this hotel is tolerable because the price is right and the hotel is beautiful, but don't expect any service, and don't expect the rooms to be scrupulously clean. Also, I think that if the management doesn't get the situation under control soon, the place will quickly spiral into a disaster. Stay here while the fairly recent renovations are still fresh. Otherwise, avoid.

• Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank SPed
Reviewed August 18, 2006

When I arrived, their computer system was down, making check-in diffuclt, also the front desk staff was rude and talking to each other about what to order out for dinner. When I checked out the system was still down a week later, and check out was done manually with a receipt promised to be mailed. The hot tub was broken all week, I was told they were waiting on a part. The exercise equipment was also broken, no explanation given. The door in my room looked like someone had tried to break in recently. For the money, there should be better service and better facilities.

Stayed: August 2006
11  Thank travelwork
Reviewed June 3, 2006

The Lodge is a good place to stay if you can get a good deal. It's fairly close to the Plaza, but not really within walking distance. Rooms are clean and well decorated. The bathrooms are nice with granite countertops and a ladder over the toilet to hold towels. The pool and hot tob areas were well maintained and never busy. The lighting in the room was a little dim. Overall, a good place to stay if you don't plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006