“The Family Vacation”

The Lodge at Santa Fe
Ranked #34 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We had a week-end ski trip to Santa Fe - The whole family! So in all we had 4 rooms and one Suite. Knowing my family - it not easy to accommodate every one - but I think the staff at the lodge did a great job.
The rooms were clean - even after the kids destroyed them daily (sorry).
The bar was great and very friendly. We enjoyed the round of shots on the house and it was understandable that Dad left once the live DJ started playing the Saturday Night Techno music. (He was hoping for some Waylon Jennings.)
Dinner was great. I think the lights could have been dimmed a bit - but that is just me. Just like Dad "ordered" The kids milks "Kept Coming". As well as his cocktail.
Even my nephew got his workout in the Gym. I didn’t join him as it would not have been appropriate for me to steal his pride…
Regardless – thanks for the Hospitality. Santa Fe is truly unique. We will visit again!

1  Thank EZYTravler

Reviewed November 15, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights. Our room was nice with one odd quirk: it had only one bedside lamp. SInce we both like to read before we go to sleep this was a small downer. I would stay again (especially in high season when the hotels near the plaza are too expensive!) but I would bring a book light.
The area by the pool was very nice and we sat there most evenings after walking for several hours as you do in Santa Fe.
The hotel is away from the plaza so you have to go by car and (probably) pay to park.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2007

A gorgeous view from our window and from the dining room was just an added plus to to very nice stay. Not the most luxurious hotel we've stayed in, but quite comfortable, extremely clean, with an appropriately rustic southwestern decor. We enjoyed it tremendously, especially the quiet and peace, since it is just slightly removed from all the action in town. We recommend this hotel as a good value and comfortable place to spend a bit of time in Santa Fe.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank MikesTravelinGirl
Reviewed October 9, 2007

We stayed at the Lodge at the height of Balloon Fiesta madness in town and we were glad that we were five minutes from the Plaza. Our room was large and clean. We loved the Sleep Number bed (yes, we picked different numbers!) and the staff was friendly and attentive. The Lodge is convenient to everything by car and we enjoyed the easy parking. There is an hourly shuttle to the Plaza. The short drive to the Plaza meant a much quieter environment; after busy days, it was nice to return to the Lodge.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2007

The Lodge at Santa Fe was fine cleanliness and comfort wise. I stayed in Room 151, it was clean and comfortable. The common areas appeared maintained.

But it is a 6 minute drive to the Plaza, and I did not see any coffee shops/restaurants that would be easy to walk to. While 2 miles is not far to walk, I think the set up is such that it could be a trafficky walk during the day and an unsure security wise walk at night. I was travelling alone, and I felt a little lonely there and would have preferred to have been in a more happening location.

The fitness room was not good-- one broken treadmill, some exercise bikes, and an all in one weight machine that looked pretty beat down. I don't remember there being any free weights. This is pretty standard in what I see in hotels, though.

I never ate there.

My few complaints are relatively minor and some may seem petty, but I put them here in the hopes for change. One was that the cleaning crew continued to leave my window shade open each day even though I tried to keep it down for security (I kept some expensive electronics there and had a back windowed room facing the parking lot). Maybe I should have left a note, but I am surprised that the standard practice was to pull up the shades like that. Just a forewarning. Also, I could not figure out how to ensure that my towel was left rather than changed out. I wanted to support the water conservation effort, but not matter where I put the towel(s), all were replaced.

Second, I didn't have any hotel guide in my room, so until the last day wandering around, I had no idea that there was a bar or restaurant or fitness room.

Third, the bed frame was a little nasty-- with lots crumbs and debris, which I only noticed because the bed fell off the frame, and I had to put it back on. A deep cleaning would probably not hurt. Also, the fitted sheet I was given each night would not hold on to the mattress no matter what I tried, so every night, I woke up with half the sheet balled up and the mattress half bare, which irritates me. I think replacement sheets may be in order.

Fourth, regarding service, I arrived around 9:00 PM, and I asked the front desk staffer Leah where I could find something to eat. She responded "other than fast food, I don't know." To me, it is not good service to not know the area, the food and be willing to make recommendations, or at least try to find out. Also, I have called management, Mike Spelane, to resolve a billing issue and have not received any call back for two days, which I also think is poor service. However, all poor service was completely made up for by Gene, who was so professional, organized, courteous in his tone and communication, and smiling-- just the face you would want for your hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank RoadGladiatrix
Reviewed September 10, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Lodge @ SF during the first week of September. I read many of the negative reviews about this place a few days before our trip, and questioned my wife as to whether we should try to book elsewhere. We decided to keep our reservations, and we're both glad that we did.

We spent the majority of our trip doing day trips to Bandelier National Monument, Los Alamos, Pecos Wilderness, Taos (what a hippie-fied dump), Sandia Peak Tramway, golfing, horseback riding, hiking, etc.

In terms of price, this place is a STEAL! We paid $119 during the week and $129 per night on the weekends. Compare this to $200+ in downtown SF. Parking is FREE and access to the city took 2 minutes by car. Parking meters are FREE after 6 PM,and seemed in abundant supply.

Why would you pay $250 a night and have your car trapped in a cramped city like SF? The streets are narrow and congested. We parked at meters on the outskirts (near the SF Library), and had a few block walk to the plaza and restaurants (very easy).

Our only criticism is that we found the hotel's service to be inconsistent depending on who was working.

Manuel and Roman were both EXCELLENT in terms of customer service. They work as shuttle drivers (we used a couple of times), but had a great depth of knowledge about SF's ins and outs.

The pool and hot tub were clean and pristine the entire time, with the exception for our last day there when the pool was green. It was kind of inexplicable, since the entire week it had been awesome. When we questioned the staff behind the desk (two 20-something guys), then said, "It's always like that."

HUH? Funny, but the pool was crystal clear all week but Friday.

Our room was fine. The carpet was new and clean. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The TV was fine, with good choice of cable channels. I didn't bring my laptop, so can't comment on the Internet service.

We agree that the hallway carpets do need to be replaced, but if you can get past that, the place is $100 cheaper than any downtown and worked out great for us.

JBH & LCH
Pittsburgh, PA
Go Steelers!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steelers001
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We spent a week at this hotel and feel that you cannot beat it for the price and location. We took day trips to Pecos, Sandia Peak, Bandelier/Los Alamos, etc., and the location is very convenient. The pool and hot tub were generally in very good condition, and the restaurant is more than adequate for breakfast. The staff gave us good recommendations for dinner in town. We read some bad reviews of the rooms and were pleasantly surprised by ours (nice and clean carpet and decorations, desk, big chair/ottoman, king-size bed). We had a great view of the town and were very close to the main entrance, which was also convenient for our trips. We liked that we could go downtown but weren't trapped there (or trapped by valets; the parking at the Lodge is free and plentiful). The hotel runs a shuttle downtown every hour or upon request, although you can usually find parking yourself.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple