New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of La Quinta Inn Santa Fe

La Quinta Inn Santa Fe
Ranked #34 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Orange, California
“Basic, good beds and wonderful customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent four nights with my disabled relative starting end of January 2013. This is a basic, no frills hotel with free in-room wifi located adjacent to Santa Fe Place (mall with Dillard's, Sears, JC Penney) about 6 miles from the Plaza. I asked for and got a room close to lobby area. The first night my relative was there we realized at about 10:30 PM that she needed a step stool to get into the bed. I called the front desk, the fellow said "give me 15 minutes" and he was at our door less than 5 minutes later with exactly what we needed. The beds are comfortable, it is quiet and the parking is free. Pets welcome. Breakfast is adequate, with the usual including some fresh fruit. My only complaint is that they have the one-cup coffee maker (my least favorite type, although I have learned to use my own coffee in the device) firmly planted in the bathroom so that it cannot be moved. There is a good amount of counter space on both sides of the single sink, something often lacking even in higher-priced hotels. Fortunately, the toilet and tub/shower are in a separate room.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor. I forgot to ask if there is an elevator for the upper floors. Hmmm...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank sueoc76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here three years ago and actually did remote work online from my hotel room on a business trip. Had a very pleasant stay.

Three years later I'm back and there was no wireless information in my room. I tried to call the front desk twice. No answer either time. I walked down to the front desk and the woman there told me the hotel did not provide wireless service. I told her I had used wireless in my hotel room three years ago. She said she had been there a year and a half and the hotel had never provided wireless as long as she's been there. She added that the motel had been "taking a lot of features out of the rooms." What? Even Motel 6 has wireless these days.

An hour later I brought up my iPhone to try to get work done on a 4G network. "La Quinta Wireless" popped up. What the heck? Did they have wireless or not? Either La Quinta Santa Fe is not providing access codes to their laptop customers or the front desk was not honest with me. Either way, Motel 6 had them beat which is baffling. My husband and I are La Quinta members and predisposed to like this chain as being friendly to business travelers.

My memory of this hotel will always be me struggling to type out letters on my iPhone because I could not get wireless service in my room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Mary-FoodieBoo

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is an average La Quinta and quite reasonable for Santa Fe. The room was very clean and comfortable. And we certainly felt safe here -- right next to the main mall of Santa Fe.

But you're on the outskirts of Santa Fe here in an "Anytown USA" collection of chain restaurants and stores. It was a 20-25 minute drive into the downtown plaza area and Canyon Road where all the things that are really unique to Santa Fe are. That's really my biggest knock against the place. When I visit Santa Fe, I want to be in something that feels uniquely Santa Fe, not some nondescript collection of stores that was an open field 30 years ago.
But obviously, it's much cheaper to stay here than downtown, so you get the experience you pay for, I suppose.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dan S
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Good place to stay that meets the expectations I have of La Quinta. At a good rate ( for Santa Fe) of $59, we got a nice clean, pre-warmed room to check into on a chilly evening. Quiet and uneventful stay with a nice standard La Quinta breakfast. We were warmly greeted and received excellent service from a young woman named Miss Quinones. She was there at the desk when we checked in and again at breakfast, at which time she was cheerfully stocking the breakfast buffet and chatting with guests. It made for a nice start of our New Mexico junket.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank farout75
Scottsbluff, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Santa Fe can be an expensive place to stay but LaQuinta was a great value. The room was clean and comfortable. And it's always a plus when our dogs stay for free. It's in a good location, close to restaurants offering a wide variety of choices. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lizbeth49
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed three nights at La Quinta, around New Year's. I brought two dogs. They charged different amounts for different nights, averaging around $70. The room was clean and had two beds, which took up a lot of the space. I had had to book at the last minute when the hotel I had booked through Expedia turned out to have a no pet policy. Advice: don't believe Expedia about pet policies! I stayed on the second floor, and there was an elevator. The room was quiet and comfortable, but there was no refrigerator or microwave, which made a three day stay more difficult. The breakfast was basic, but they have an arrangement with the "Flying Tortilla" next door for a 10% discount on meals, and that place is great! I would stay here again. The only down side is that it's very far down Cerrillos from Santa Fe.

Room Tip: There are three floors and an elevator. Some sections are farther from the road (Cerrillos) than ot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo