“The perfect hotel in location and service”

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed May 8, 2008

After a horrible night at LaFonda we called the Hilton. Not the most attractive from the street hotel but we were desperate. Service was incredibly great. The front desk was continually inquiring if we needed help, dinner suggestions, etc. Our room was spacious with a nice balcony. The interior of the hotel actually is so much nicer than one would believe from the exterior. Very Southwestern and some nice art. Start your day with their breakfast buffet or grab a coffee and homemade danish and start shopping. I was fearful this would not be as convenient to shopping as LaFonda, but it was. This hotel is on the lower end of the Plaza. We met the General Manager who was so accomodating. We will always stay at the Hilton when visiting Santa Fe. Beds were great, rooms were large, staff greeted us by name! Incredible experience after a most miserable one at LaFonda. Thank you Hilton for saving our vacation!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank KStravelartist
There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza

Reviewed April 26, 2008

Stayed here 5 years ago so it seemed like it should be a good bet for a return visit - not. Unfortunately, the years have not been kind. The hotel looks worn and badly in need of a reno to spruce it up but even then I would not take a chance on it again. Rooms (we asked to be moved) were run down and not as clean as they should be. when the hotel has to gouge a chunk out of the bathroom door so it can clear the toilet that should give some indication of the standard. It was a nice hotel once upon a time but no longer. Carpets were stained, no fridge (maybe the broken one left out in hall was the missing fridge), one of the beds has a broken boxspring, handle off the wardrobe etc - you get the picture.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travell8er
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The Hilton has a great location, just 3 blocks from the Plaza. It is convenient to restaurants, galleries and tourist attractions.

The lobby is nice with a large dispenser of iced water with lime at all times.

The rooms were very nice with comfortable beds and nice decor.

There was wireless Internet but only in the lobby. There was Internet access via a cable in our room but it never worked for us. When we complained at the front desk, we were given a 1-800 number to call for tech support. We never did get it working and had to complain again to the front desk to get the $12/day charge removed.

Our TV remote did not work and we had to call down to the front desk to have them re-program the remote.

We were only given 2 bath towels so I left a note for housekeeping asking for 4 towels (as there were 4 of us staying in the room). They gave us 4 towels when requested but the next day, we were back to only 2 towels.

The outdoor pool was closed during the time we were there which was a disappointment to our 2 kids.

There was a $14/ day charge for on site parking.

While there were some nice features, I thought the per night price along with the extra charges made it not worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank rmboilers
Reviewed March 18, 2008

The Hilton Santa Fe is my absolute favorite place to stay in Santa Fe. It is walking distance to everything, it is clean and has a good restaurant and bar, and the service is AMAZING! From giving me an umbrella to walk around the town to lending me an ice scraper for the ice to giving me free cough drops, the staff did everything possible to make my stay wonderful.

The only problem I experienced was that the heat broke in my room one night (I think it was my fault because I fiddled with the heater) and because it was around midnight and the electrician had gone, they offered to move me to the hotel room next door and allow me to keep mine so I didn't have to move all of my stuff. When I declined that offer, the staff brought up their own personal space heater that they use behind the desk. Just great service!

Because I am a silver level Hilton Honors member, I also got free breakfast (anything off of the menu or the buffet) every morning. It was great and I will definitely always stay at this hotel when I am in Santa Fe!

• Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank bldmp
Reviewed March 4, 2008

This Hilton does not give the chain a good reputation. The staff are friendly but the place has the feel of a hotel ready to close its doors.

The first room we were assigned had stained Bedspreads- we mean big black marks. The second room which was the Palace Suite was big but again in poor condition. Looks like the hotel was built in the 70's and has not had an update since.

Location is close to the main attractions in Santa Fe so that is great. It also was relatively cheap for Santa Fe. If you get a good rate and do not want much from your room for one night I would accept it. Any longer look towards something better.

Breakfast was meant to be a Buffet but on a Saturday morning there obviously were not many guests and instead we were told you could choose one dish from the main menu. Again a nice room that is tired.

I noticed a new Hilton is opening on the outskirts and I wonder if this hotel will close shortly after that has opened.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luischable
Reviewed March 1, 2008

This hotel is charming! The rooms are so comfy, the bedding so upscale. The staff goes out of their way to meet your needs. The restaurant has the best lunch-soups that are awesome!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank luvvail
Reviewed February 14, 2008

I stayed here with my family (wife and 2 young children) between Christmas and New Year. Our room was large and well appointed with modern furniture, carpet, and fixtures. The bathroom had recently been remodeled with nice, modern tile, granite countertops, and new fixtures. The beds were comfortable with very good quality sheets, pillows, and blankets. The decor was about what you would expect for a Hilton--nice and modern.

One downside to our room was a really annoying cold draft that came in from the wall-mounted heater. I looked under it and was surprised to see an 1" gap along the bottom of the heater leading directly outside. Not only could vermin get into the room through this gap, but a really cold draft of air came in and almost over powered the heater.

The common areas are nice and cozy, and the decor is appropriate for Santa Fe, though not nearly as nice as some of the other hotels in the area, like Inn at Loretto or El Dorado.

Much to my surprise, there was no coffee available in the lobby in the morning. The rooms come equipped with coffee pots, but I enjoy quality coffee with real cream in hotel lobbies.

The location is excellent. Tons of excellent restaurants are within a 5-block radius of the hotel. The plaza is three blocks away. Parking is easy, but you have to pay for it (I believe it was $12 a night). Wireless internet access was available, but it was not compatible with my Mac. I had to use the dsl cable.

Overall, I thought it was a little pricey for the quality, but this is Santa Fe, and everything is expensive here.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family