“Great location, great lobby architecture, rooms not so hot”

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Ranked #18 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Macon, Georgia
“Great location, great lobby architecture, rooms not so hot”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Perfect location and could have done a lot worse for quality but there were one too many things that were wrong to overlook. I used to think Hilton meant a higher level of quality than what we experienced. Snooty and not helpful lobby staff, terribly long walk to room, inability to get a cart for luggage for 20 min and the told wrong direction. Elevatora placed in corners not convenient to room and were slow and unpredictable. Room had comfortable bed and lots of pillows but all too firm so my neck hurt. Typical older hotel room size. No fridge, pay for internet, pay 15 per night for parking. Bathrooms very small but clean and fresh. I could overlook the size due to the historic nature of the hotel. AC was very hard to keep in check, got warmer all night. Construction outside our window started at 7:00 AM. Halls were hot, pool looked ok but had a very tall fence around it ago it looked like a jail and it was hard to find a way in. Perhaps Hilton just bought the hotel and was rennovating? You get the idea, just one too many things didn't add up to the price tag. Location was great though and the fabulous structure of the lobby is worthy of a look.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Beverly N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This beautiful hotel is walking distance to the plaza and across the street from the blissful El Dorado Spa. The hotel staff was amazing and especially kind. The interior is beautifully decorated and very clean. Room service was great as I recuperated in my room for three days. The walk to the plaza only took a few minutes and sunset at the La Fonda bell tower is a must. Again, the staff was very kind and their service was impeccable.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank wildorkid
Bullard, Texas USA
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in one of the remodeled rooms and it was lovely. Large room, beautiful bed linens and large modern bathroom. Convient to the Santa Fe Historic plaza and the state Capitol. Friendly desk personnel. Yes, we paid for parking, 1/2 of the regular price. Ask how you can get this price.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NanBullard_TexasUSA
Abbotsford
Reviewed May 30, 2012

After a long drive from Las Cruces we arrived at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic plaza and proceed to the loby to check in. We were asked if we had a vehicle and if we were parking at the Hotel it was going to be 15.00 per day. I guess at some point this will be standard because other Hotels have charged for parking as well. This is the first thing that gets me worked up because in my mind parking is part of the stay.... like a bed, blankets, pillows, TP, and anything else that iscommon for a comfortable away from home stay. Next we were told to park around back and use the elevator to the second floor for ease with our luggage, arms loaded and suitcases in tow, arrive at the elevator that has a small sign over the UP button OUT OF SERVICE. Front desk personnel didn't know this? So back down the hall to the steps and up to 2ND floor. Room was fine, opened curtain to view pool area and it got stuck half way open and I wasn't able to close it when needed. Seemed like the rail was bent. My wife found out that there was a fee for Wi Fi...free at Starbucks, Mc Donalds and most other places but not here.

We had thought that when we prebooked that two beds were requested, but nope, just a King is available today. My wife has restless leg syndrome and we prefer to have two beds of any size. I thought I would call down for a cot to be brought up and didn't mind paying what they would charge, possibly a little higher than parking but who cares I'm on vacation." Hello I was wondering if Icould have a cot/roll away bed brought to the room".... " I'll call you right back, I have to check"........ Ring "hello"
" Sorry Sir we don't have cots anymore."...... " Anymore? you mean there isn't any left? " No Sir we do not have any cots anymore, we got rid of them sometime ago." ..." Okay thank you goodbye." Hey maybe I'm old fashioned but familys love cots, to keep kids/teens happy. Another fifteen bucks for the Hotel?

Thought I would go for a dip in the pool, sure looked inviting from the room. Called about towels to use and was told that they were available pool side. Walked down the hall out the door, down the stairs took a righ turn to the towel rack, grabbed the towel placed it on the closest chair and jumped in. Awesome, temp. was perfect floated around a bit, waved to my wife on the balcony. After a long hot drive this was GREAT! Okay back to the room for a cold drink. Hey something is blocking the steps to exit the pool, a board was tied to both ladders to get out of the pool. Did the combat roll out of the shallow end and viewed the "Pool Closed" sign. Happy that my skin wasn't burning I headed back to the room for a shower just in case.

Location of Hotel is perfect and Cleaning staff friendly, constuction didn't bother us as we are early risers. Jack hammers didn't start until after 800. They decided to refinish the Hot tub the day after we arrived, so they opened the pool.

This was the pricest Hotel in the six days of travel through Arizona and NM. and I had better service and amenities at each and every other hotel. Most also having Continetal breakfast.

This is the second time I've been disappointed staying at a Hilton Hotel, First was Hilton LAX, but thats another story.No more Hiltons for us.

K. Lillie

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barbara L
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Hilton is in a great location for the Santa Fe plaza. The staff is extremely polite and helpful. They are inthe process of remodeling and we had the pleasure of stayin gin one of the remodeled rooms. It is beautiful, warm and comfortable. The new bathrooms are fantastic. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank krickettlove
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we entered the hotel we were treated wonderfully. We were upgraded to a Casitas upon request and were delighted by the room. Beautiful room with lots of space. The Shower was amazing. The pool and lounges hit the spot on a sunny afternoon. The location is walking distance to everything Santa Fe has to offer. I'll definitly stay at the Hilton the next time I'm in town.
Thank you.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Boselli
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The hotel is in a perfect location to walk to all the sites. Make sure ton request a renovated room facing the pool. The restaurant serves a very good breakfast buffet. Fitness center is modern andfree for guests.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple