“Nice Basic Hotel, great location, Good Price.”

Garrett's Desert Inn
Ranked #44 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Oregon
“Nice Basic Hotel, great location, Good Price.”
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Tidy decent size rooms. Bathrooms are a bit small though.
Older Motel style place so you park outside your room (I liked that).
Place is older but generally clean. Very few amenities that you may miss
(no workout room, no laundry and no internet). TV sound did not work oon all
channels...they could not figure out why. Staff was generally courteous.
Pool was funky, paint peeling and there was an old band-aid on the bottom.

The real plus for this place is its location.
You are right where you need to be in Santa Fe. Area is safe and you can
feel comfortable walking around at night.Had a good pleasant stay and can
reccommend the place to friends. No frills...just a bed and a room. $107 a night.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank john-bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Frederick
Reviewed April 26, 2005

Santa Fe is one of the most people friendly towns we visited. We stayed at Garrett's Desert Inn, just a couple blocks to the heart of town. The shop owners were friendly, took time to answer questions and not rush you through your purchases. We ate in several excellent restaurants while in Santa Fe. The Shed, on East Palace Avenue, La Casa Sena Cantina, on East Palace Avenue (provided an excellent dinner as well as singing waiters). Our reservations were for 5:30p.m and we were not allowed inside till that time, in order for them to prepare the tables etc.), the Coyote Cafe (which served excellent food) West Water Street, and the Atomic Grille, whose specialties were home brewed beer but not limited to that. They also had an array of mouth watering desserts. Sandwiches and soups were also excellent There is no bad food in Santa Fe, from our experiences. When you don't go into shops, you also have the choice of open air markets all with a nice variety of products. Santa Fe caters to tourists, but you don't feel you have entered the "Tourist Trap" either. A walking tour of the city only opens to the wonders of the city and provides happy experiences you will never forget.

7 Thank Idewild
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

I was disappointed. I didn't expect to stay in a matchbox (one step inside and you're at the foot of the bed). The TV volume changes with each channel from 0 to boom box. I'm sure the neighbors didn't appreciate it. The A/C was so loud I turned it off during the night. My bed was way too firm and I awoke with a backache each morning. My morning shower was not pleasant since I had watch out for the daily outage of warm water at least twice during each shower. I was there 3 days and it happend every time. There is only 1 electrical outlet not taken. So, if you need to use a laptop, move the 2x2 desk to the opposite wall. On the plus side, it is well located and very clean inside. The staff is very courteous. I would rate it below most 2 star hotels/motels based on accommodations but above in staff courtesy and location. I did find a spider on my bed and stepped on it after checking in. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for. But, I think I'll stay on Cerrillos Rd next time and drive to the Plaza.

• Stayed April 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2005

this is a very adequate average motel.. What is above average is the low price, and that it is walking distance to the center of town. This is where you want to be, and the better hotels are very, very expensive.

9 Thank maryfountain
Denver
Reviewed February 14, 2005

Considering some of the little complaints that we had, I think that we got a pretty good deal. We booked the room on hotels for $55/night (plus had to pay the additional $8 parking fee at the hotel). This price was much cheaper than the price listed on the website for the hotel.
The room was a nice size, clean a comfortable. The location was PERFECT and I loved that it was a motel (which I prefer when on roadtrips...I hate dragging my snacks and cooler through the hotel lobby). I was within short walking distance to all of the sites including several restaurants, galleries, museums and chapels.
Only a few complaints...
1. We checked in a little early, only to find one of the cleaning staff actually using our restroom when we were putting our stuff in the room. It was a little surprising hearing the toilet flush and having someone coming out! That was a little weird.
2. I was craving a particular food item and asked the woman at the front desk for a restaurant suggestion. She was very nice and helpful and even gave me a map, putting an X on the map with great directions to a restaurant...that didn't serve this type of food and never had! It was a little weird because we sat down, ordered our drinks, looked at the menu, then ended up apologizing and leaving.
3. The large driveway to the parking lot was closed off, so the only entrance to the parking lot was the small drive where you check in. SO, if people were parked there, checking in, you just had to sit and wait to get in and out of the parking lot! There was one time, when coming into the parking lot, that we had to wait 10-15 minutes in the car for the car in front of us to move, just so that we could go park! That was WAY inconvenient!
4. Despite what the website says, there is NO ROOM SERVICE which we'd planned on doing for breakfast. I don't even think that there's a restaurant (I think that it was only a bar...)

For the price, I thought it was great because of the location, but otherwise, we were inconvenienced more times than we should have been...

9 Thank ckericks
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 18, 2004

The web picture is misleading. There is only one room with a fireplace.
The walls are paper thin so you get noise from other rooms.
The tv had a very poor picture. Parking is expensive and not listed on the web.
The location is good. Would I stay there again? NO

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 5, 2004

We were there Sept. 15-22, in a mini-suite -- two rooms, one with a microwave, refrigerator and couch. Fortunately, we phoned ahead to find out if there were kitchen utensils and dishes. Answer was no, so we brought plastic plates and forks because we like to eat or snack in our room. Place was clean and well-maintained, in spite of a squeaky door and impossibly squeaky bed -- good thing it wasn't our honeymoon! Location is great, but it is definitely bare-bones. In this case, where rate is so low, you get more than you pay for.

• Stayed September 2004