“Beware of dishonest staff -- it will cost you”

El Dorado Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Birmingham
“Beware of dishonest staff -- it will cost you”
Reviewed June 2, 2008

A colleague booked a room for me at the Eldorado in January 2008. This was a business trip for which I was to stay one night. When I arrived, the person at the front desk told me that I would normally have to pay a penalty for not staying two nights as reserved but that they would waive that charge. While my bill showed no penalty, my credit card had the charge on it. After calling the hotel, I was told that the charge would be removed. It's still on my bill and I'm now told that without a cancellation number the charge will remain. So, two people told me the penalty would be waived and both either weren't telling the truth or didn't know what they were talking about. This is unexcusable behavior from a hotel that presents itself as a premier location.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
16 Thank Lance2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Midwest
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Eldorado was very much in the motif of old Santa Fe. The location was perfect for downtown sightseeing and great restaurants. Hotel is small enough that its easy to get around. We had a junior suite which had two bathrooms -- very nice.

Others said their rooms were "dated" but we were pleased with ours.

Spa was very nice and within reason.

Parking was extra $17/day.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of response to outside maintenance problem
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MidwestLiketoTravel
New York
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Normally I would give this hotel a 3 star rating but I got such a great rate of $139/night, at that rate it is easily a four star. Not only did I get a great rate but by booking through AMEX I got a room upgrade and a $100 voucher. The room I got was pretty nice as you can see from the pictures. But the hotel itself has more of a feel of a big conference hotel and there is a complete lack of atmosphere in the lobby and massive restaurant and bar off the lobby. The rooftop pool is OK but tiny and very cold, and when I was there it seemed like it hadn't been cleaned in days and there was all kinds of junk floating in the pool. They have a very nice spa in the hotel but it was very expensive, $196 for a massage. Overall service at the hotel was pretty good. I wasn't all that impressed with Santa Fe.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Eldorado Hotel in Santa Fe. In a city of mostly small, mostly independent hotels and B&Bs (at least in the center city), the Eldorado is a large almost-corporate hotel that feels like the Santa Fe equivalent of a big chain hotel. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, however.

Unlike at some big chain hotels, the staff at the Eldorado was friendly and helpful and we appreciated the recommendations they gave us for drinks in the relaxed bar area and the help they gave us at the front desk.

The Eldorado is more of a 4-star hotel than a 5-star - we’d call it upscale. It doesn’t have the feel of a high-end hotel, but it is quite nice.

The hotel was renovated fairly recently and the changes were largely successful, at least in terms of bringing the size and scale of the hotel down a bit. Unfortunately, the renovations were not successful everywhere - the 5th floor hallway carpet showed wear and tear and just seemed dirty.

Our fifth floor balcony room was comfortable and cozy and we slept well in the rustic king bed. We appreciated the fireplace even though we didn’t have time to use it during our stay. The room was well-furnished (nice flat screen TV!) and we liked the bathroom amenities (from the onsite spa), but the showerhead left a little bit to be desired (perhaps the renovators skipped a few other steps?).

The Nidah Spa looked great, but again, we weren’t there long enough to use it. The same can be said for the small rooftop pool and hot tub. Perhaps we’ll try them on a return trip to Santa Fe. Yes, we’d consider staying at the Eldorado again: it wasn’t our best stay ever in Santa Fe (that would have to be the Inn of the Anasazi), but we enjoyed it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty hallway carpets
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MJPBAF
Boston
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I spent three nights at the El Dorado, which is in a great centralized location. The first thing I noticed upon arrival is that the hotel doesn't have that "southwest feeling" that I like, upon walking into the lobby. That aside, check in was seamless and everyone I encountered at the hotel was pleasant.

I did try out the spa at the hotel, and it was lovely. I had a scalp and foot massage, combined with a vichy shower. Pure heaven! The service at the spa is top notch.

The bar area of the hotel is in sorry need of an update. You could be sitting in any Holiday Inn and experience the same boring atmosphere. I found this to be disappointing, and headed out to eat elsewhere.

While I would stay here again, there is nothing earth shaking about the property. I'd head over to La Posada, a more luxurious type of resort with loads of character and personality. I only stayed at El Dorado because La Posada was sold out.

Stayed March 2008
4 Thank sci
South Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed at the Eldorado for 4 nights in Mar/April '08. At first we were a bit put off by the "fit and finish" of this hotel, as it was touted as one of the premier properties in Santa Fe. For example, our first two nights there we put up with a noisy vent fan and clanging metal (I believe it was the covers to the chimneys banging about in the wind). Also, our room had a poor paint job and the furniture (in the walk-in closet) was dingy. The front of the kiva fireplace was scorched. The hallway outside our room always smelled like chemicals from the pool area above.

HOWEVER, by the end of our stay we were very pleased with the accomodations due to the level of service provided. The front desk staff was friendly at check-in and every point thereafter. The room service staff were also polite. The bell staff came to our room on two chilly nights to start up our fireplace for us (a service suggested by a placard posted near the kiva). The concierge was helpful in printing boarding passes and helping me access the wireless internet in the hotel. The valet staff was always fast and friendly and frequently offered assistance with directions or anything else (yes there is an $18 daily fee for the valet).

I should also point out that the amenities provided match other luxury hotels, such as nightly turn-down service with chocolates, flat-screen tv, complimentary bottled water, fresh fruit and newspaper, bathrobes and slippers in the room, the aforementioned fireplace service, etc.

Also, it's worth mentioning that this hotel is very convenient to the downtown Plaza shopping area, short walking distance.

I have no problem recommending this hotel, it's worth ignoring the little annoyances to enjoy the service, amenities and location.

• Liked — Service, amenities, location
  • Disliked — minor annoyances
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MalteseFalcon
New York City
Reviewed March 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Eldorado Hotel and Spa in Santa Fe on March 19th and 20th 2008. We loved that our room had a working fireplace which we utilized both nights (it was chilly out when we were there). We had dinner one night at the onsite restaurant Old Home (Old House?) and had a wonderful and relaxing meal.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful from the check-in desk to the "fire" concierge to the valet staff. The only downside was both mornings at breakfast in the hotel, the waitress did not write down our order and both times, got our order wrong.

Don't miss dinner at Vanessie down the street...the onion loaf appetizer is amazing!

• Liked — Fireplace in the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple