“beautiful room, mediocre conceirge” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Dorado Hotel & Spa

El Dorado Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
nashville tn
“beautiful room, mediocre conceirge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2007

We attended a conference at El Dorado and stayed in a beautiful room there. It was bright, comfortable, and clean. It is smaller than the other hotels I have stayed in "on business," so there was more personalized attention and service at the front door and front desk.

My only qualm with this hotel was the concierge. The desk was often unstaffed and the lady who I did speak with was a bit less friendly than I'm used to.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

We had a weekend getaway to Santa Fe for our anniversary and the Eldorado was fantastic! It's a great location and is walking to distance to awesome restaurants and shopping.

The service was top notch... and the spa? Oh, the spa! I had one of the best massages ever! There are a lot of terrific services to choose from and I highly recommend going to the spa while you're there.

The bed and pillows were sooo comfy; I slept very well-- which is rare when you're away from home!

The hotel bar had terrific entertainment both nights we were there!

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YoungL
dallas, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

Great location. 2 or 3 blocks from the Santa Fe Plaza. Was able to leave the car and walk to dinner / entertainment every night without "settling". Upgrade room with "real" fireplace was nice, though neither extravagant nor large. Bed rocked. Plasma TV. Service, including garage ($18 per) was good. Booked a discounted rate and had to discuss it several times as it confused the staff, but it got worked out. Showing a litte wear and tear but nothing horrible. Would stay there again if the rate was right. Would rate it a nice hotel but not a "top tier" property.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank smithdallas
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

My husband & I - and my mother, in an additional room - stayed at the Eldorado for five days last week, for a conference. Our 4th-floor rooms were lovely, spacious & spotless and the lobby was also very attractive. The Sunday buffet brunch was really nice (reservations recommended). All of the staff (front desk, buffet, valet & housekeeping) were extremely friendly and pleasant. BUT: we didn't receive bath soap for *three days* - and not even a word to the person cleaning our room (I speak Spanish well, so that wasn't an issue) *nor* a (later) request to the desk staff produced the soap. I finally had to call the hotel *manager* in order to get more soap (!!). Also; a morning request to the desk staff to repair the A/C in our room while we were out all day (it had made loud rattling noises the previous night) produced no results - and I was told (upon our [late] return) that there was *no record* of my request, therefore we were kept awake until late that night while the (lengthy) repair was done (after I'd called the hotel *manager* upon returning to our room). Lastly (!), we were overbilled for something after the front desk clerk upon our check-out had *assured* me that we wouldn't be - so now I have to call and straighten out that problem. I shouldn't have to keep wasting my time with all this. ):

• Liked — Luxurious and convenient
  • Disliked — Accommodations weren't the problem....
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

4.5 stars

I attended the same conference as the preceding reviewer and I was very glad the La Fonda and the other hotel for the conference were overbooked and they turned to the Eldorado for the overflow, as the Eldorado was clearly the nicer hotel.

The lobby of the hotel was very attractive with its southwestern theme and, contrary to what several negative reviewers below have said, it was not at all old, dated, etc.... but rather had a nice atmosphere. The concierge was very helpful and the hotel provides complimentary newspapers, bottled water, fruit and cookies in the lobby. My room was large and outfitted with the same southwestern theme as the rest of the hotel. Everything was relatively new, in very good condition, and the room was well-appointed with a 32" LCD flat panel HDTV, granite-tiled bath and a stocked refrigerator that had a few shelves partially empty so you could actually use it to store leftovers, juice, etc.... Quite frankly, the only explanation I have for the reviewer below who compared this hotel to a Hotel 8 is that either the hotel renovated its rooms after his visit and subsequent to mine, or he is a shill for one of the Eldorado's competitors and is posting a phony negative review.

The hotel is two blocks from the Plaza and about as centrally located as any in downtown Santa Fe. There's a little dimestore on the Plaza that has about 1/4 of the content of a typical drugstore to go along with snacks, sodas and lots of tourist trap-style souvenirs, but if you want to buy some juice, a bottle of wine or any less common medical or hygiene products, you will need to go to Albertsons and the adjacent mall which is about a mile away.

Negatives: they didn't have any travel-sized toiletries kits at the front desk (I forgot about current security measures and airport security confiscated my shaving cream) nor did they have any bandaids, when I got a blister on my toe. One side of the cabinet door for the refrigerator was locked which let me have only restricted access to the top several shelves of the refrigerator. Complimentary bottled water was warm. That's about it, though - very minor complaints.

Overall, this was a very nice business class/moderately luxurious hotel that was a great value at the discounted group rate of $160/night. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank lousygolfer
Middlesex, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

I stayed at the Eldorado while on a business trip. The conference was held at the La Fonda, but from everything I saw and heard, I was just as happy the La Fonda was out of rooms. The Eldorado is a short (as in 2-3 minute) walk from The Plaza, but is actually more convenient to some restaurants. My room was very nice - some decorative pillows and blankets were a nice touch, as was the flat screen TV. My only complaints (and they're pretty minor) were (1) the shower temperature was totally inconsistent - it went from burning hot to freezing cold and rarely, if ever, settled back in the neighborhood of where I had set it, (2) the concierge leaves at 6:00 p.m., which makes it hard to make dinner plans, and (3) there is a charge to connect to the Internet. I didn't get a chance to use the spa services (too bad!), but I did use the fitness center - not amazing but fine, with several treadmills, ellipticals, and a stationary bike. All in all, it was a nice place to stay in Santa Fe.

• Liked — Room comfort
  • Disliked — Shower temperature
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lawgirlvt
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

We recently spent 4 nights at the El Dorado Hotel. It was our first trip to Santa Fe. We joined the hotel's Preferred Members group (at no charge) and received both an upgrade and a complimentary bottle of champagne.

Our junior suite was spacious, comfortable and well decorated. The huge bathroom with double sinks, both a walk in shower and separate huge tub was wonderful!

We used the roof top pool twice and it is small with no shaded seating, but very clean and refreshing. We also had room service twice for breakfast and it was delicious & on time. Ordering from the main menu book seems to be less expensive than the breakfast door card menu.

We did not eat in the restaurants and were disapointed in the ambiance of the lobby - just a basic lobby. The valet parking garage was convienent and staff helpful.

Location was excellent for walking to museums, shopping and restaurants. In summary, we thought it was an excellent value for the money we spent. The choice of a good hotel makes a difference in the enjoyment of a vacation and we would definitely stay at the El Dorado again.

Stayed August 2007