Santa Fe Sage Inn
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 17, 2006

We thought we were booking the Hotel Santa Fe when we booked this on-line. The lobby carpet was filthy -- a dead give-away about what the room would be like. The room was dirty. Carpet was new and stank. The blanket had bloodstains (!) on it. We stayed the one night while searching for another available room. There is a reason for the cheap price ... the place is disgusting.

Stayed: July 2006
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed July 7, 2006

I had a coupon that made no mention of room specifications. I asked if I could upgrade. They guy said yes and gave me a price of $15 more for their superior rooms which were newly remodeled. He started the reservation and informed me that he didn't usually work the front. He asked the front desk lady a question and also told her what he was charging me for an upgrade. She said he couldn't do that, I could only get the regular room. I told her that was not mentioned on the coupon and she should honor what he had already quoted me, so she went off to ask the manager who said no. Trying to make it up to me, the guy offered to show me a standard room. I could have lived with the smaller than average size of the room as long as it looked clean but the bathtub had brown rings all around it. He had to borrow the maid's master key card because he couldn't get his to work. He said the key slots were dirty but not to worry because the room next door was also available if he couldn't get the door open. Turned off by the brown rings in the bathtub, I asked if I could see the cleanliness of the tub in the room next door he had mentioned. He responded that they were all the same. I thanked him and left. I went to check out EL REY INN. We paid $109 for a room in a charming inn with great staff who all went out of their way to be accomodating. I requested a room in the prettty garden courtyard area, she sent me off with a key pass to go look at it and said if I didn't like it, they had others I could look at because their rooms are different sizes, decor and rates. El Rey functions like a bed and breakfast, and they go the extra mile in personal touches like patios and outdoor benches. They have laundromats, kids playground, heated pool, fridges in your room and a there was a microwave in my laundry room area. They also have hard boiled eggs along with the usual continental breakfast fare. A very charming experience, and you can even request one of their newer rooms. So in the end, it was a good thing the Santa Fe Sage Inn staff was so unaccomodating which sent me looking elsewhere. Great rafting experience with closeby New Wave White Water Rafting which offers an airconditioned ride to Taos and good take out food across the street from El Rey Inn at El Parasol.

• Stayed: July 2006
27  Thank travelingby
Reviewed July 3, 2006

What a great place to stay, from the checkin to checkout a truely wonderful time. They went out of their way to make our family reunion a memorable time.

1  Thank thebiggrandma
Reviewed June 22, 2006

Within walking distance (if you like to walk) of center city Santa Fe, with access to many restaurants and shopping. Room was clean and adequate but a great value for its location. Continental breakfast was the typical fare, well stocked and included hard boiled eggs. I had a very enjoyable stay for four nights.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My colleagues and I chose this hotel blindly off the Internet, so we were a little apprehensive. But our one-night stay for business turned out even better than we hoped. You could actually walk to the Plaza in 15-20 minutes. And although the hotel appeared to be a Best Western/Holiday Inn that had been refurbished, the renovation was nicely done: southwestern colors, tin mirror frames and wall switches, southwestern touches on the table and floor lamps. The bathroom was at least two steps up from the hotel we stayed in in Albuquerque and had a decent tub insert that was very clean. The staff was very courteous and helpful and quickly changed my room to the second floor without complaint at my request. The continental breakfast was plentiful and varied and had decent fresh fruit. Wonderful location and excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank MCM20854
A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati
Reviewed June 4, 2006

After spending a few days in Colorado, My husband and I traveled to Santa Fe and stayed at this hotel. We were a bit leary due to such a fantastic rate. We could not have been more satisfied. Newly remodeled rooms were super clean and a really nice contential breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel. It only took us ten minutes to walk to the downtown area and our room was really quiet.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I should preface this by saying that we apparently booked late in advance of staying part of Memorial Day weekend, so the only room they had available was a two queen room, which was VERY tight given the amount of luggage that we had. Given that it was a holiday weekend, we had a rate of $140/night, pretty steep for what should be a sub $100/night hotel (it was $100 the last 2 nights of our stay). Room was basic, what you'd find at a Best Western, with some Southwestern flavor accents. Overall clean and comfortable despite the cramped quarters. The "free" wireless access was a bit spotty, but worked OK. The nicer touches included 2 computers in the lobby area for free guest use, including one with a printer. The front desk also faxed something long-distance for me at no charge. Breakfast was complimentary and a bit better than expected, with cereal, bagels, fruit, drinks, hard boiled eggs, and a nice eating area. If you're expecting to be close to the Plaza, you're a good 15 minute walk (1 mile) away. Overall, I would say a good choice for staying in the Santa Fe area if you get a king room and a good rate. Otherwise, next time I might look at one of the properties a bit closer to the Plaza area for similar rates.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business