“comfortable, clean, and convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Santa Fe Sage Inn
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Durham NH
“comfortable, clean, and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Just a short walk outside the main square but near the railroad yards, a much neater part of Santa Fe, this hotel is really nice, with wonderful staff and plenty of parking, etc. Okay, the pool and the breakfasts weren't much for our needs, but you can get great breakfasts nearby, and the showers work well after an August day in SF. We used it as a base for hiking and sightseeing and couldn't have asked for more in comfort and cleanliness..

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank DavidByKayak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was courteous and helpful. The "Sage Coach" was a great feature. It is a van that will cart you around the plaza/hotel area. The plaza was a six block walk, easy to do, if you were tired at the end of the day thecoach would come pick you up (Check the operating dates on the coach, it may only be for the summer) The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint about the room would be that we faced a brick wall, we checked in early and that was all that was available. We didn't stay in the room much so it wasn't a big deal. The breakfast was good. The hotel is very convieniently located to everything we wanted to do. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripper718
Los Angeles, CA. USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

This was my first time in Santa Fe and I really have to say..the Downtown is SUCH a joke.
Everything is just as expensive as Los Anegles, but you're in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico! Only the Liberals who go to this place are willing to pay for the crappy Art.

Anyway, the hotel was about $115 a night.. not bad compared to the other hotels Downtown but in reality.. this place is the exact same as a Best Western or the Travelodge across the street, BUT it has a semi fancy lobby and nice paint job.

It wasn't that bad though, the rooms were clean, etc.

The only things I really was disturbed about were:

A) The pool is literally TINY. It's the size of 2 hot tubs. That's okay, but... their website TOTALLY misleads you to think it's a real pool. The photo is purposely taken at an angle to make it look bigger. That's pretty low.

B) When you check in, DON'T use a debit card. As the other guy said, they do weird things and take more then the room is, then the charge goes away, then new charges, etc. etc. And I could not pay cash when I asked to!

The people at the front desk are very friendly though, but just keep in mind this place is a Motel with a nice paint job...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank antonrr
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Having read many reviews of hotels in Santa Fe before going, I picked this one and was delighted. I've traveled all over the world and been lucky enough to stay in stellar hotels, as well as my budget picks, but have never encountered a staff (from manager to shuttle driver to housekeepers) that was so uniformly helpful, solicitous and responsive. I heard many guests, on checkout, also remarking what a wonderful stay they had there (I was often on one of the two the hotel-offered computers in the morning, by the reception area, when many people checked out).
The location is easy for parking and access to the Plaza (as well as being next door to Whole Foods), but the free shuttle service was also a big plus. The room was very clean (the reviews criticizing the cleanliness of the rooms seemed very odd, based on what I saw) as were the grounds. The room was perhaps on the small side, but quite large enough. Staff was ever-present and solicitous, often restocking clean towels for the pools, tidying up, etc.
Breakfast was plentiful (French toast, bagel assortment, muffins, donuts, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.) and always helpful to have included in the room price. I also liked the fact that it started at 6:30, since I am an early riser (as were many there). But, best of all were the constant smiles and pleasant attitude of the staff (especially the lovely lady who welcomed us to breakfast and to afternoon chips, dip, iced tea and lemonade in the reception area!).
The pool is a very creative use of space - and small, so if the pool is your main destination in Santa Fe, this is probably not the best hotel for you. Seating there is limited to a round table with 3-4 chairs, 3-4 lounge chairs and a double seat, but lying on the ground on towels was fine.
There are also many shady outdoor dining tables on the grounds.
Overall - I found the price very reasonable and the experience to be as good as I had hoped. While there are a lot of options for lodging in Santa Fe, this is a great one to choose if you are looking for a clean, pleasant and convenient base for exploring the area.
We went to the opera, Bandelier and Tent Mountain national sites, hiked around the ski area, saw 3 museums, walked around Canyon Road and thoroughly explored every shop in the plaza. We always took the shuttle to and from town to save our strength for other adventures.
Also, I would skip eating at the Sensa restaurant (overpriced and a bit pretentious), by the Plaza, but we had great meals at the Guadeloupe Cafe and El Farol (wonderful tapas assortments).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank enghien
Plano, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

A friend recommended the Sage Inn and we decided to give it a try for an impromptu weekend away. What a great place! The staff was friendly, helpful and alway quick with a smile or suggestions on what to do. We come to Santa Fe often and know our way around but they directed us to the "little gems" only locals know about. The room was a little small, but spotless and the price was right with a 3rd night free offer.

Norma the breakfast lady is a sweetheart who took a moment every morning to see how we were doing. Cheryl sent us to a little restaurant we never noticed before called "La Chosa", check it out, the food is great! Just a minute down the street is a chocolate (my passion) place that had been on the food network.... too many choices!

Next trip to Santa Fe we will definitly be staying here again. The hotel is large (about 120 rooms I think) but even though it is on the main road in Santa Fe, it sets back far enough to be quiet for some sound sleep. My boyfriend's favorite things were the comfortable mattress and the workout room. All in all, it was one of the most relaxing trips we've taken, you didn't feel lost in the crowd.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PlanoSara
Lanesboro, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

While the rooms and pool are small, the location and shuttle make the Sage worthwhile and my family will stay there again. Couldn't get the humidity out of the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank edecker
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

My family and I had to spend 2 nights in this nasty place last week. I had feces in my bathtub and filthy globs of hair on the floor (I have pictures). My sister and her family had black mold all around the caulking in the tub. We told the person at the desk and she just said she's have someone clean the bathrooms. No apology, no explanation, no offer to get the manager. This is not a place I would recommend to anyone for any reason.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family