“Stunningly pleasant and responsive staff; wonderful 3 night stay”
Review of Santa Fe Sage Inn

Santa Fe Sage Inn
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Having read many reviews of hotels in Santa Fe before going, I picked this one and was delighted. I've traveled all over the world and been lucky enough to stay in stellar hotels, as well as my budget picks, but have never encountered a staff (from manager to shuttle driver to housekeepers) that was so uniformly helpful, solicitous and responsive. I heard many guests, on checkout, also remarking what a wonderful stay they had there (I was often on one of the two the hotel-offered computers in the morning, by the reception area, when many people checked out).
The location is easy for parking and access to the Plaza (as well as being next door to Whole Foods), but the free shuttle service was also a big plus. The room was very clean (the reviews criticizing the cleanliness of the rooms seemed very odd, based on what I saw) as were the grounds. The room was perhaps on the small side, but quite large enough. Staff was ever-present and solicitous, often restocking clean towels for the pools, tidying up, etc.
Breakfast was plentiful (French toast, bagel assortment, muffins, donuts, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.) and always helpful to have included in the room price. I also liked the fact that it started at 6:30, since I am an early riser (as were many there). But, best of all were the constant smiles and pleasant attitude of the staff (especially the lovely lady who welcomed us to breakfast and to afternoon chips, dip, iced tea and lemonade in the reception area!).
The pool is a very creative use of space - and small, so if the pool is your main destination in Santa Fe, this is probably not the best hotel for you. Seating there is limited to a round table with 3-4 chairs, 3-4 lounge chairs and a double seat, but lying on the ground on towels was fine.
There are also many shady outdoor dining tables on the grounds.
Overall - I found the price very reasonable and the experience to be as good as I had hoped. While there are a lot of options for lodging in Santa Fe, this is a great one to choose if you are looking for a clean, pleasant and convenient base for exploring the area.
We went to the opera, Bandelier and Tent Mountain national sites, hiked around the ski area, saw 3 museums, walked around Canyon Road and thoroughly explored every shop in the plaza. We always took the shuttle to and from town to save our strength for other adventures.
Also, I would skip eating at the Sensa restaurant (overpriced and a bit pretentious), by the Plaza, but we had great meals at the Guadeloupe Cafe and El Farol (wonderful tapas assortments).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank enghien
There are newer reviews for Santa Fe Sage Inn

Reviewed August 10, 2009

A friend recommended the Sage Inn and we decided to give it a try for an impromptu weekend away. What a great place! The staff was friendly, helpful and alway quick with a smile or suggestions on what to do. We come to Santa Fe often and know our way around but they directed us to the "little gems" only locals know about. The room was a little small, but spotless and the price was right with a 3rd night free offer.

Norma the breakfast lady is a sweetheart who took a moment every morning to see how we were doing. Cheryl sent us to a little restaurant we never noticed before called "La Chosa", check it out, the food is great! Just a minute down the street is a chocolate (my passion) place that had been on the food network.... too many choices!

Next trip to Santa Fe we will definitly be staying here again. The hotel is large (about 120 rooms I think) but even though it is on the main road in Santa Fe, it sets back far enough to be quiet for some sound sleep. My boyfriend's favorite things were the comfortable mattress and the workout room. All in all, it was one of the most relaxing trips we've taken, you didn't feel lost in the crowd.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PlanoSara
Reviewed August 5, 2009

While the rooms and pool are small, the location and shuttle make the Sage worthwhile and my family will stay there again. Couldn't get the humidity out of the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank edecker
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My family and I had to spend 2 nights in this nasty place last week. I had feces in my bathtub and filthy globs of hair on the floor (I have pictures). My sister and her family had black mold all around the caulking in the tub. We told the person at the desk and she just said she's have someone clean the bathrooms. No apology, no explanation, no offer to get the manager. This is not a place I would recommend to anyone for any reason.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
16  Thank sharintexas
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My wife and I just spent three nights at this great little inn. We like to walk to attractions and restaurants as much as possible but didn't want to pay big bucks for a room on the Plaza. The Sage Inn was the perfect compromise. Easy walking distance to the Plaza and all the shopping as well as Tomasita's and Zia Diner (both great). We even walked to the Canyon Road galleries and back. The rooms here aren't fancy but they are nice sized and clean. The grounds are a cut above the budget chains and while the breakfast is nothing to rave about the breakfast room and outside patio areas are very good. A plus if you shop too much and can't make it back out for dinner is the Whole Foods right next door.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dthomp2701
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Awful!
1. Very Rude staff
2. Nothing like the online pictures (glorified motel. NOT quaint at all)
3. Overpriced
4. Tiny Pool
5. FROZE MY BANK ACCOUNT AT CHECK-IN !!
6. DIRTY!
7. Hidden Fees
8. Not a ten minute walk to the Plaza. At all. 6 blocks? Yeah right.

I'm sure the list could go on. I had a nightmare experience with these people, and was only with them for 12 hours at most.

First, when we got into town, we were dropped off at a closed bus station and called them to help us find transportation. They said they would call back, but did not. They did send a taxi for us, but the taxi didn't go to the right location and we got a call from the taxi driver who was very rude and probably upset, and overcharged us by at least five dollars.

Next, when we got in and tried to check in, they told us they needed a credit card to check in, even though they never asked for the card number when we made reservations. My mother had lost her card the day before, and all I had was a debit card, so they used my debit card. I asked REPEATEDLY whether they would be charging my card or holding the funds for the room, and how much it would be. They assured me that we could still pay in cash as we had originally planned, and that the amount held on my account would only be for the amount of the stay. We were staying for four days, so the amount held should have been 400-500 at most. They held EIGHT HUNDRED dollars of my money, money I NEEDED for the vacation. I agreed to the hold after asking SEVERAL TIMES how much the hold would be for and being assured it would be in the 400 dollar range.

I contacted my bank about this mistake, and they were very easy to work with. The Sage Inn, however, was extremely uncoorperative. I contacted them and asked them to please send a simple fax on their letterhead to my bank, to release my account, hours after we had checked out and paid our bill in full with cash. A man at the front desk named James said he would help with that, and never did. He said he passed it on to an assistant manager, and then later we found out they simply refused to do anything at all to help. We all know how simple it is to type up and send a fax. These people were extremely rude to me on the phone, insisting it was my bank's fault when my bank was very willing to work with me, being that it is a credit union and very flexible with it's patrons. Throughout this ordeal I had to call them several times, and each time it was a frustrating, angering, and completely unnecessarily dreadful experience. They would not listen, they would say they would do something and not follow through, and they would lie about what our original conversation and agreement was. They even have a disclaimer on the front desk about debit cards, so they must have this problem often, and yet they are still unwilling to work with people, even when the solution is easy and handed to them.

After we saw the room the night we checked in, we were very disappointed and felt deceived. We had seen all of the beautiful pictures of the hotel online, and thought we would be staying in a very quaint place. This is not the case. The only thing nice about this inn is its lobby. This is what the pictures on their website are showing. The rooms are exactly the same as the average cheap drive-up motel. Also, in the room there was evidence of sub-par cleaning. There was actually popcorn, with what appeared to be lipstick, under my pillow, and in the restroom there was a sunflower seed shell on the floor. Also, our room was facing a dumpster. Good times!

After that first night, we were no dummies. We walked to dinner that night and on the way back noticed a Travelodge across the street. Curious, we decided to inquire about their prices. We got a room at the Travelodge for the remainder of our trip for more than thirty dollars less a night! The pool is bigger! The rooms are bigger! And cleaner! There is a safe in the room! There is a mini fridge in the room! The staff is a thousand times more pleasant! It's even the slightest bit closer to the plaza! The breakfast is not sit-down but they do have breakfast, which you can walk back up to your room, as your room is much closer to the front desk here than at the Sage. The TV in the room even works better. The AC unit is more up to date. What else to stay? You'd be stupid to stay at the Sage Inn. Bottom Line. If you want Cerillos Rd. and the Railway district, try TRAVELODGE, for a better quality motel that is honest about being a motel.

• Stayed: July 2009
16  Thank mcdevitk
AGMSAGE, Assistant General Manager at Santa Fe Sage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2009

Please let me start by thanking you very much for your valuable feedback. I am sorry you encountered some challenges during your stay with us. We use this information to better our staff and hotel. It was good to hear the staff was able to dispatch a taxi to pick you up. It is unfortunate that the debit card does not work like a credit card and causes these types of challenges. That is the reason we post the information for all of our guest at checkin. Again, I am very sorry the Sage Inn was not the right fit for you. I was glad to hear you were able to find accommodations that worked out . We hope you will give our hotel another opportunity when returning to Santa Fe.

Reviewed July 10, 2009

I cannot believe some of these reviews. This is one of the worst hotels I have ever spent a night in:
1) Roaches in room.
2) Pidgeons roosting on Fire Extinquisher down the hall from my room.
3) Safety glass broken on Fire Extinguisher.
4) Stained sheets.
5) Had to put chair on top of bed to walk around bed.
6) High humidity coming out of air conditioner.
7) Pidgeon droppings on walkways.
8) Pool has a MAXIMUM CAPACITY OF SIX (6).

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
17  Thank TravelMan2025

My apologies the Sage Inn was not what you had expected. Especially after you read the positive Trip Advisor Reviews on our hotel. I take very seriously all guest feedback and appreciate that you took the time to let us know the items you listed. I have addressed those items with my managers and staff to find and eliminate all those challenges. Again, my apologies you did not have a good time with us and hope the rest of your time in Santa Fe was enjoyable.