“Great Santa Fe motel”

Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Diego, California
“Great Santa Fe motel”
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We recently stayed at the Sage Inn twice in two weeks, for two days each time. Both stays were excellent--beautiful rooms, very comfortable and quiet. The Sage is about 8/10's of a mile from the Plaza and was a nice walk--either along Guadalupe or Cerrillos, with shops and restaurants along the way. Also, there is a Whole Food's Market right next door with great EVERYTHING--coffee, prepared foods, salad bar, wines/beers/teas, etc.

The complimentary breakfast is fine. The lobby and breakfast areas are very attractive and there is a 'business center' off the lobby with two computers and a printer offering free internet access and printing, which was very appreciated.

We would definitely stay here again. Something interesting--we used a coupon from one of the hotel discount magazines you find everywhere the first time and got the advertised rate (around $65/nt for a king bed). Fabulous deal! The second time they wouldn't accept the coupon because of Balloon Fiesta (Albuquerque but attracts lots of people to SF and Taos too during the week). The rate went up to $100 & $110 per nt for a king. Still worth it but later on their website we found a rate per nt of $75 for a queen for the same time period. So...you might want to ask to use their computer to check or check the net otherwise--they did not mention this lower, internet only rate to us at all, only quoting a rate of $85 and up for a queen.

Besides Whole Foods we ate at the Cowgirl Cafe, Tia Sophia's and The Shed. All were reasonable and very enjoyable. A drink at the Bell Tower of the La Fonda hotel also hit the spot--killer views. The hotel lobby is also worth a quick tour--lots of interesting detail everywhere.

The library, near the plaza, also has free internet access. The guided docent walk from the Palace of the Governors was also a highlight of our stay. And we very much enjoyed all of the art (free) at the Capital. This is a bit off the beaten track (few blocks from the plaza) but very worth it.

• Liked — Appealing rooms/location
  • Disliked — Price difference available via internet
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TigerChai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
antwerpen
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Rooms are okay, check-in friendly. Breakfast is what can be expected of a US complimentary breakfast. Quite far from the centre of town. There are quite a few much nicer and better located options in Santa Fe.

• Liked — Good-quality room.
  • Disliked — Bad location.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank thmaesbe
West Babylon, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Well we just checked in and I have to say I am disappointed. The room is MUCH smaller than it appeared in the online photos. And although clean it is not worth the money. It is not really a walk to the plaza unless you are a very athletic person. No pool or anything, I wish I had spent the extra money on another place.

I also had to bicker with the front desk staff who tried to double bill me. I had attempted to use the website to reserve my room but it timed out, so I used Orbitz and booked the room. I never received a confirmation from the Inn but received one from Orbitz so I figured everything was fine. Not so, I get the feeling that the staff thought I was lying and they gave me a hard time. They called later to say that normally I would be charged for 2 rooms. It took all I my strength not to say well how about I leave now and dispute the charges?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff/Size of room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank allisonasimmons
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I spent 3 nights at the Sage in August of 2006, while my daughter was housed there for 2 weeks as part of a dance program. Each of us had a great experience. I believe that the kids were placed in unrenovated rooms (at a very low rate), while I was in a renovated room at a somewhat higher (although still quite low, by Santa Fe standards) rate. My room was extremely attractive (Southwest decor), clean and comfortable. The hotel is not very far from downtown (walking distance) and is right across the street from the Saturday farmers' market, which was terrific. One drawback: the pool is extremely small.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank LillianV
Arizona
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Booked the room last minute for the 86th Annual Indian Market which brings 1000s of people from all over the world to Santa Fe. We felt very fortunate to get a room so close to all the activity at the Plaza. It was a nice budget hotel with clean rooms, comfortable beds and courteous, helpful staff. Large continental breakfast was provided and the room rate was VERY reasonable. I would highly recommend to anyone on a budget.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Zookzaz
Rydal, PA
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. I agree that the place did not quite look like the website, but it was not shabby, and it was clean and had everything we needed. We were not there to spend all day in the hotel. We appreciated the small, heated pool, perfect for cooling off. There are two computers in the lobby that are for guest use. They were fine, not slow at all. Breakfast was cereals, bagels, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs and beverages. The lobby and breakfast area are very nice. TV reception was fine.

Like others on this site, we loved being next door to Whole Foods. It is also about a 5 minute drive from Trader Joe's. We did not have a fridge in the room and that might have been nice. Also, no laundry facilities, but there was a laundromat about 10 minutes away. We chose this hotel for the location, centrally located, close enough to walk to the Plaza, but not out on the very busy Cerrillos Road. It is on Cerrillos Rd., at the intersection of Guadelupe Rd., but close enough to the center of Santa Fe that you don't hear traffic whizzing by. In fact, we had a room at the back and we heard nothing. A nice place for a few nights.

If you don't want to walk to the Plaza you can drive and park on the street. Just bring quarters for the meters so you don't get ripped off by the parking lots. There is so much more in Santa Fe than the Plaza, I'm glad that I didn't spend a lot more money to be in the center of town.

• Liked — Close to many attractions
  • Disliked — No laundry facilities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank speechmom
NM / KY
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My stay is best described as so-so. It was fairly easy to find within the city & centrally located. Being a first-time Santa Fe visitor, the overall charm of the place got me a little; the seasoned visitor or local would not be impressed. The lobby was nice & upon check-in front desk personnel did their job, but that's about it. Overall the entir property seemed to be well maintained. Outside room access was decent, but cheapened the experience. Inside the room was nicely decorated, neat & clean; it was, however, a complete "cookie-cutter" room. Air conditioner was noisy but became rather insignificant as the hours passed. Never turned on the television, or used internet service or telephone. Carpet was nice; chair was uncomfortable; bed was QUITE comfortable. The bathroom sink & lights were nice; the shower water pressure was lacking, along with the tub's ability to drain (water backed-up fairly quickly.) Never heard any neighbors, could just be luck. The maids DID mind the "Do Not Disturb" sign in the morning; we were grateful ;)

The Whole Foods Market that is literally next door was nice & offered a great alternative to a pricey breakfast downtown. Front desk gave advice on best walking route to the Plaza, but seemed indifferent to my concerns. Walking time was stated to be 15 - 20 minutes, but we drove fearing a rain shower in the evening (<5 minute drive.) We were able to check-out w/o any hassle or erroneous charges. Total, with no extras, came to $126/night for the "Superior King." (which, by the way, is a worthy upgrade)

The only reason this place can charge $>100/night is because it is in Santa Fe, NM, has a southwestern decor, and is still within walking distance to the Plaza. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay affordably, centrally, and still get a southwestern "feeling." Otherwise, look elsewhere. I have no regrets, but next time I will splurge for a NICE place nearer the Plaza and all the "action."

• Liked — Price Cheaper than Most Others
  • Disliked — Cookie-Cutter Rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple