“Always a good choice, nice staff also”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Santa Fe
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Moose Jaw, Canada
“Always a good choice, nice staff also”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here several times and have always enjoyed this hotel.The staff have always been extra nice and helpful. The rooms are roomy and modern with southwest style decorating. Beds are comfortable and the breakfast is above average. We like the Cerrillos road location as it is close to the retail and restaurants we enjoy. This property is pet friendly which is a big plus for us as we travel with a small dog. We will continue to stay at Best Western Plus Inn of Santa Fe during our travels to the Southwest.Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brian M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Lake City, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been going to this place for years before they remodeled and even if the place was a little down the staff was always very nice .Since they remodeled and got from best western their
PLUS status they definitely got a class up .
they found the way to use the shell they had to make a very nice place with large suites w/two rooms and comfy rooms.
I never arrived in a hotel at midnight with and expecting attitude which is probably why i always got well taken of in that place. I never found a wigg in my bed .
Thank you best western Inn at Santa fe ,you filed for years my purposes

Room Tip: The two rooms suites are great Room 111 is fun
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BRUNO C
DaveWollmanSr, Regional Director at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Santa Fe, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
It is a real pleasure to hear from our "Raving Fan's"! We appreciate your continued patronage and the kind words in your Trip Advisor review. We look forward to your next stay!
LUBBOCK, TX
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I can honestly say that I have, now, experienced the worst customer service in my entire life. Now...I am writing this review a few months after my actual visit - but really - today was when the dissatisfaction really came about. I stayed here in Jan 2013....just taking a quick road trip away with my fiance after a long work week. We decided to check out Santa Fe and thought we'd try out the Best Western. We checked in very late on a Friday - it was around midnight. We got into our hotel room and, since we had been recently watching the Travel channel show "Hotel Impossible" - we decided to start checking our sheets to make sure the cleaning staff is actually changing the sheets (almost wish I'd never started doing that!). And, of course to our luck, our bed sheets had not been changed as there were a few hairs - that didn't belong to us. So we told the guy at the front desk. The guy was really nice about it and apologized (which was appreciated) and he told us he would change our room for us. So after we got in our 2nd room, we checked the sheets again...and it was actually a little worse. There were some sort of crumbs as if someone had been eating in bed or something... along with some stains. So, again, we told the guy at the front desk and he apologized again and said something to the effect of that they had new cleaning staff or something (which may have just been an excuse to appease us for that moment)- I got the feeling he was a little embarassed and probably worried (as were we) that all of the rooms would have the same issue of the sheets not being changed. But, he still was very nice and polite about it and got us another room which was fine and looked clean enough - plus it was late so we were tired of dealing with it anyway. He told us that, for our inconvenience, the next time we came back to Sante Fe, he'd give us half off for our trouble. We asked if we needed something in writing but he gave us this business card - which turned out to be his general manager's business card, and told us to just call in and give our name the next time we needed a room. Everything was fine up until this point. Now, its March-we decided we wanted to go back to Sante Fe and called to book a room with this hotel. The general manager himself picked up himself - a Billy Thompson. I told him briefly that our name should be on file for a discount and wanted to book a room for this weekend coming up. He asked who we talked to - which we could not remember at that moment... we had not dug out that business card - we just kind of thought all the notes would be on file anyway. I guess this confusion over the name caused the general manager to automatically assume we were lying and his tone started to change. And then we repeated our story of what had happened two months ago and we told him were told (by his employee) that there was a new cleaning staff. He then said "well, that's another thing - we don't have any new staff" - and this was, again, said it in a way to subtly act like we had just decided to make up a lie - crazy! . But we were only going off of what we were told (by his employee....that he is in charge of and supposed to train). This general manager almost immediately shut down any kindness (and professionalism) at that point and basically had an "too bad" type of attitude. This was frustrating of course but neither myself or my fiance wanted to get on his level...but my fiance did express his frustration (never disrespectfully though) over the broken promise - but I think, even more so, the frustration came from the arrogance of this GM as he spoke to us. He then basically said something like "well, I would just prefer that you never come back on my property" and hung up on my fiance. At that point, we did some digging, found the business card we had been given back in Jan and I called back. So, I called back and informed him that were the couple that had just gotten hung up on by him. I told him I didn't want anything free - I just wanted to let him know that we had found the business card that had been given to us - kind of to prove we had been telling the truth....as his attitude had been, probably, the most arrogant I'd ever heard. I told him I'd never ever been treated that way and that's its really unfortunate that he would choose to treat a customer, a paying customer, that way. I told him we definitely did not want anything from him.....but I did want a number for a corporate office for Best Western - so we could report how we had been treated over the phone. I He said "Yep, just call Best Western" - in a very smart alec tone. I then asked if he could actually give me the number and he said "Sure - it's 1-800 Western!". At that point, he was so rude and on defense that there was really no reason to even continue a conversation with him - as it was pretty clear that he didn't really want to hear anything about himself, his business, or how the customers feel (which, if I remember correctly, is what would keep a hotel in business!) So, I just told him to have a nice day and ended the call. Well, of course, after calling Customer Care from teh Best Western website phone listed, I guess you really can't complain about a General Manager. I did share my story with a nice lady in the customer care dept - which was nice to at least have one of their employees care, even a little. But, I certainly wanted to share my story and let anyone else know that may be planning choosing this hotel to really consider that if this the way a GM chooses to run his hotel and treat his customers....its not real shocking why we had problems in the beginning about our bed not having clean sheets. Maybe the GM and the front desk guy that night were probably a little embarassed....and that might have been why we were told there was a new cleaning staff by the front desk guy that night we stayed. But, certainly I want to let any future travelers know that if you are considering this place...I'd check your sheets first. And then I'd certainly expect that if you do experience a problem - there is a high likelihood that it will not be dealt with on a professional level - and if you have to speak to the guy in charge for some reason - don't expect any understanding, care, or consideration. We were completely respectful - but got nothing but hatefulness back. I am not blaming Best Western, the chain. But, this location, and the person is charge, was my customer service experience ever.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nii92002
bdt1172SantaFe, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Santa Fe, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear NII92002,

I feel inclined to respond back to the very lenghty yet fictional account of your experience. Based on the fact that you were not given a 50% discount that you insisted "Jim" had promised you upon your arrival at 11:47 pm you have followed through with your threat of posting on social media sights. This is well within your right. I think honest guests reading this review will easily see that had anything happend in January (2 months ago) you probably would have been inclined to say something either to management or to post on TA. Furthermore, had your account of the story been accurate I am curious as to why you would insist on coming back (for a 50%) discount? You have done a disservice to Trip Advisor and to anyone who might be looking for an honest and factual account of places to stay while in Santa Fe.
Decorah, Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were looking for a reasonable but nice place to stay while on a road trip, half-way between Phoenix and Denver. We wanted a pool and have a dog. This is IT! Has a great pool, above average breakfast, spic and span facilities, and its dog-friendly! Further, the front desk people both at night and in the morning were so helpful and kind. All in all, a nice hotel with VERY nice employees.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NorseAnn
Questa, New Mexico
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Government rates available. Stayed during legislative session - located about 10 minutes from capital building.

Appears to be recently redecorated. Decor was warm and soothing with a southwestern flare. Duvet covered bedding, soft pillows and sheets were very comfortable and clean. Towels were a decent size and soft. Coffee pot, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and face and body soap available.

Continental breakfast available. Cereals, muffins and bagels, sausage, coffee and juices were tasty.

Hotel staff was very accommodating. A guest's vehicle alarm went off three times at 3:30am. When we called the front desk the staff apologized profusely, was in contact with the owner of the vehicle and offered to move our room to the other side of the hotel. I asked that he contact the owner again and ask her to move her vehicle across the street. The vehicle was moved in short order. The staffer was a young guy, maybe 19 years old, and sweet as could be - it was apparent that he wanted to please the guests and we thought he did a top job in this situation. In addition, we forgot to bring toothpaste and the hotel provided a traveler size at no cost within 10 minutes of our request.

Traveled as a couple on business and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business