“Good, basic value for money but not fancy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Lamplighter Inn of Santa Fe

Americas Best Value Lamplighter Inn of Santa Fe
Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Whitehorse, Yukon
“Good, basic value for money but not fancy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was a repeat stay for us at this hotel - had been here 5 years ago and chose it because the price was very reasonable and we enjoyed the first experience. Staff were polite but not overly friendly and the hotel is older, smaller and basic - not fancy rooms although our room on the second floor had lovely vaulted wooden ceiling. It is more of a motel - rooms open to the outside and it is just 2 stories. Rooms have a fridge and the bed was very comfortable. We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the complementary breakfast - cooked Kashi cereal, fruit, cold cereals and muffins. The grounds are great and we enjoyed the pool - often had it and the hot tub to ourselves which was nice. The location is on a main street but we felt safe and the room was quiet even with a large group that were there one night enjoying the pool.
This is not an upscale hotel but it was clean, had a great, high pressure shower, and has an atmosphere that we enjoyed - and was half the cost of some of the options we considered.

Room Tip: We prefer second floor overlooking the pool and gardens but there is no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank muklukmary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Pahrump, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel looks great on the internet and we got a brochure in Albuquerque. We arrived at a dump on a very busy street. The door leaked so we not only got noise but wind through it. The office staff was nice but the room was so small that with the bed and a small table, no chair would fit. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from the highway! No elevator so if you have trouble manuvering stairs, get a first floor room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank 1athomeinthewest
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I think this place is under new management because there is no way that all these good reviews are from the woman who was managing the place when we stayed there.
We got a non smoking room and on the third night the room reeked of smoke from someone smoking in one of the rooms beneath us. We asked to be moved to a different room, and the manager told my mother to, and I quote, "Take it or leave it. The only room we have left is a room with one king size bed and I'm not cleaning it because I don't want to." We spent $250 for three days at this place. I went downstairs to ask the manager for the corporate number of the chain or the name and number of someone who owns the hotel or someone who is in charge, and she refused to give me any information. She wouldn't even give me her name. I was calm, and polite and told her that all I was looking for was a name and a phone number of someone above her since we couldn't seem to come to some sort of compromise on the room. She got angrier and angrier and threatened to call the police, then her husband who she described as "scary" and that if she wakes him up he will be really mad. Then she threatened to kick us out of the hotel, and started counting at me like I'm five years old or something. Then storms off into the back room and says that I should call a lawyer.
All I was asking her for was a name and a phone number. I was polite and calm and honestly I wanted to go to bed because we had to get up early to catch a flight. I certainly didn't want to be up arguing with this woman over something so trivial. Please do not give your business to this place. There are other hotels in the area that are much nicer and just as reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jawesome
Aurora
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

For the money this hotel is on our "always stay there" list. Indoor pool in a greenhouse setting, fantastic breakfast (thanks to Irma, the breakfast attendant). The Front Desk guy, Lyle, is very helpful. The place is clean, safe and easy to reach. Lots of free parking and well maintained grounds. Because of the experiences we've had at this America's Best Value property, we always check to see if there is one in the places where we travel. Most have been good to great. We'll be back to Santa Fe and we'll stay the this motel.

Room Tip: Any room will do.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rick-Aurora
Shone, Ethiopia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this motel based on ratings here on TripAdvisor. I was not disappointed. Our room faced the courtyard in the back and was just a few steps from the big "indoor" pool. Our room was obviously 1970's vintage, but it was very clean and large. The only small issue we had was that the bathroom door squeaked, but that was handles as soon as we reported it. This motel had the most comfortable beds of the (many) properties we stayed in on this trip. Breakfast was super. Rice and soy milk were available, as well as Kashi. They had a nice variety of things to choose from. Stay here! You won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 5catmama
Fishertown PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I starting our vacation in New Mexico by staying at The Lamplighter. The Inn was very clean and the service was excellent. The air conditioner worked well , the pool was large and very clean , and the hot tub was a great way to end the day. In the morning we went to the continental breakfast , which was OUTSTANDING ! The selection at this breakfast room was absolutely wonderful , especially the home made kashi cereal and yogurt . . . also the coffee was great , as well as the selection of other beverages (including not only cow's milk but also rice milk and soy milk). You get "a lot of bang for your buck" at this establishment - I highly recommend staying here !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank retiredveteran56
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My stay was here because the hotel I like to stay was booked up.The walls are thin as has been noted by others quests.The breakfast features good coffee but everything else is highly refined carbs.The hotel pool isn't heated in summer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business