“Hard to Imagine Anything Better”

Inn of the Governors
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed August 17, 2009

For the price, it's hard to imagine a better place to stay in downtown Santa Fe. You're just a couple of blocks from the plaza. The rooms are on the small size (as are the parking spaces), but they are well-decorated and you can walk around while you're in Santa Fe and leave your car behind. There was an excellent free breakfast buffet and the staff was courteous and friendly. My only complaint would be that some of the guests seemed snobbish and uptight (I overheard several people talking down to the help for no reason)--but that's hardly the staff's fault.

And, for good people watching, try the hotel bar at night. It seems to be filled with locals--including a few working girls. Funny to watch them ply their trade!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis_gt

Reviewed August 16, 2009

Great location in downtown Santa Fe. Neat, clean, charming. Great staff, and a great bar / restaurant. Marvelous breakfast buffet was included as well as free parking.
Highly recommended by 2 picky people. We were able to "shop" it on line at a bid site and got a great room for under $100/ night. Would go back there in a heartbeat!

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Inn of the Governers is a fantastic hotel to stay at. A very short walk to the Plaza and other attractions. Breakfast is first class, and dinner in the bars was great. Overall a really good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Coming from ABQ over the Turquoise Trail, Route 14 leads you almost directly to the hotel, which is ideally located along the Santa Fe River and its pleasant promenade, and within short walking distance of the Plaza.
Upon our arrival at 3pm, our room wasn't yet ready, but we were welcomed in a very friendly way and proposed to check already in, in order to avoid queues later in the afternoon.
The complimentary parking at the hotel is very suitable, since all major sights of Santa Fe (except Canyon Road) are within walking distance.
Our room was a jewel. Two large queen size beds, 2 wardrobes, an open fire, stylishly decorated in red tints, Native American textiles and pottery.
The swimming pool is quietly located next to the hotel lobby and surrounded by flowers and plants. But make sure to go early to the pool if you want a chair, since there are only a few ones.
The lobby is cosy and nicely decorated, offering free internet for hotel guests and in the afternoon complimentary sherry and teatime.
The concierge is perfectly informed about the restaurant scene of Santa Fe, gave perfect advice for a restaurant choice and made the necessary reservations.
Complimentary breakfast at the Governors Inn means a real breakfast buffet with a large choice of fresh fruit, bread, potatoes, bacon, scrambled eggs,... and is served in a pleasant and shady patio.
Only negative point: make sure you take some ear plugs with you, since we heard water running, showers and cooling engines when in our bed.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harmonie
Reviewed August 1, 2009

overall a great place with some staffing problems. the concierge seems to be in the wrong position. he booked some dinner reservations for us, but when we asked about the resturants, he didn't know about them because he never eats at the fine dinning places, he just showed a menu or a website. also, when we wanted to book anything besides dinner, he just gave us a phone number, not what REAL concierge would do.

2  Thank candidez1
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I first booked this trip right through the inn of the goveners for over 800 for 3 nights. I found it for 500 on one of the travel sites. I called the inn and they wouldn't drop there price. So I cancelled and rebooked. The only complant that I would have is since I rebooked through a internet site I bet my wife they would put us in a room on the street which is one of the complaints I have read about the loud street noise. So we got there and of course we had the room on the street but it really wasn't bad. There were a couple of loud cars that went by but for the most part I didn't even notice the street. I would say if you are a light sleeper and or go to be early I wouldn't want to stay in that room. The rooms were clean, breakfast was good for a buffet, and we were centrally located. I loved that they had a bar attached to the hotel with good cheap food and a great crowd. The hotel crowd was a little older but didn't bother us. I think the older crowd comes for the sherry at 4 every afternoon. The pool was great. All in all I can't complain but I am not sure I would be writing this same review if I had paid the original 800. I would stay here again if the price was right!!!

1  Thank MileHighNick
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I recently returned from Sante Fe. The Inn of the Governors was great!!! Excellent location. Breakfast buffet was excellent..Lots of choices...Computers available with good internet sevice...

• Stayed: July 2009