“Good Italian and a Good Price”
Review of Piccolino

Piccolino
Ranked #125 of 567 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Good Italian and a Good Price”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Piccolino has been a regular "go to" for lunch and dinner since it opened in Santa Fe. This is a family run restaurant with friendly staff and delicious food... a far better option than the chain restaurant on Cerrillos. The pasta dishes with green chile are fabulous!

• Visited January 2013
7 Thank AnonReviewers

Los Alamos, New Mexico
“A nice find!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Being raised in an Italian home by a Mom who is a phenomenal cook, I was skeptical about this little diner. I was proven wrong! Food was fantastic. Service was great. Will be returning soon!

Visited November 2012
7 Thank arpistone
Iowa City, Iowa
“You might be tempted to keep driving - But - Don't”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I have only one night in Santa Fe - on our way to Vail, Colorado. We checked into our motel and did a search for Italian restaurants using Tripadvisor --- and we came up with several choices. The closest was a big name Italian (When you're here ....) chain place - and a bit further was a small, family restaurant called Piccolino. Their menu looked interesting. I called, but they did not take reservations - and this was Valentine's Day ---- so there would be a wait.

We drove there, and from the outside it looked like a little box -- with a drive-up window! Had I not read the good reviews, we would have kept going. That would have been a HUGE mistake.

There was a waiting line, but I talked one of the wait staff into pouring 2 glasses of a good Riserva Chianti and we waited inside. The restaurant is about 25x30 feet with a few dozen tables - covered in checkerboard tablecloths. There is a small list of wines and beers.

The food choices are amazing for the smallness of the restaurant. We started with a garden salad a plate of Calamari Fritti- breaded and fried - but tender and still rubbery - as I like it. Good choice. For the main course we went with a Lobster Ravioli and a bowl of their Pescatore - a fish stew with a light tomato base, made with calamari, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and fish. i added some pasta to the bowl and it was great. The meals were tasty and huge. The prices are a bargain.

The Pescatore I had reminded me of the many bowls of Cioppino I enjoyed when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area -- and that turned out to be not a coincidence. The owner of Piccolino worked for an Italian restaurant in California for 20 years before bringing his recipes, skills, and his family to Santa Fe. A loss for California and a big plus for Santa Fe!

Many of the wait staff are sisters and family members. They worked smoothly, intelligently, and at great speed to accommodate the line of eager eaters outside the door - while being delightfully friendly to everyone inside.

Add this place to your list of "Must Go" places in Santa Fe. We will be back!

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank MovinOn2
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Surprising good and reliable.”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Generally get take-out -- convenient. Inside is OK. Watched small kitchen while waiting for order and saw that meals are made from scratch -- not already prepared and re-heated. Tough to find good Italian in Santa Fe. Reasonable prices.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank Jim G
“Locals Favorite”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

You may have heard of Northern Italian but how about Northern New Mexico Italian. Locals frequent this excellent Italian restaurant because of the great food and modest prices. The menu has all the traditional Italian offerings as well as some unique and delicious modified standards (Lasagna and Pasta) which have been given the NM touch....green chile.

Visited November 2012

Been to Piccolino? Share your experiences!