“Blue Corn Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas” 5 of 5 bubbles

Horseman's Haven Cafe
Ranked #92 of 556 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Blue Corn Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My favorite to eat here is the Blue Corn Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas plate. The green chile is hot and the enchiladas are meaty and cheese. Since I like onions on my enchiladas I always ask for extra. I love the posole, beans and rice that also comes with this dish but hubby like to order fried potatoes instead of the rice. We both are a fan of their hot sauce as well. But be prepare to ask for a to go box because my husband and I never can eat all the food they serve us at one setting. Last time we were there we shared a hamburger plate and was very happy with it as well.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank rlt11

Tucson, Arizona
“Like northern New Mexico used to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I grew up in New Mexico, "back in the day" (which means: it's been a while :). Except for Santa Fe and Taos, northern NM used to be sort of unknown. (I even had a tourist stop me one day -- in Albuquerque, I think -- and ask me where they could change dollars into... pesos, I guess?)

Back then, New Mexican restaurants (for locals, at least) would bring you a basket of sopaipillas (fried, puffed bread) and a squeeze jar of honey as part of the meal... as people south of the border eat flat tortillas, US Midwesterners eat bread, etc. And a "real" restaurant had red Naugahyde booths to sit in. No more... at least, not MANY places.

Then, in October, I found Horseman's Haven. I was home! The menu even started with a greeting in Spanglish, the language that (Hispanic) New Mexicans speak. (The paragraph started something like: Bienvenidos to our restaurant. We hope you'll love the comida.) So I got into the game and started talking with the server in Spanglish, asking him about some of the finer points. We both got into it; it was great fun. And then there was the food...

A basket of sopaipillas and a bottle of honey with the meal... not as a $3 "dessert"!? I had posole (with lots of green chile); my friend had enchiladas (made flat, of course). We both agreed the food was delicious... and the portions were huge.

I purposely chose the booth with ripped Naugahyde, taped over and covered with a blanket. (When the server saw me snapping the photo, he came over to apologize and that the owner was going to fix it... but I laughed and said it seemed like authentic nuevo mexico.)

The place isn't fancy, but it's fun. From the name, it looks like a steak restaurant... and, mid-afternoon the place seemed to have only locals who'd come in their pickup trucks and beat-up cars. If you want New Mexican food that's what I ate "back in the day" -- not "Santa Fe style" (high cuisine, high prices, $3 sopaipillas): ¡Ven... hasta pronto! (Go, go! :)

• Visited October 2013
8 Thank An0nyMs
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Probable food poisoning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I happen to be a local, eating here infrequently ... In the past, I have tolerated the pacante well ... I ordered the chorizo & eggs... My companions had other dishes ... Within 12 hours the chorizo reappeared unmolested & undigested.The intestinal upset has now persisted for two weeks. (forget Christmas dinner). I will be seeing my doctor Monday, to order up some Lab work ... Hell of a way to loose weight !!! carracar

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank carracar
Angel Fire, New Mexico, United States
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I had ordered the taco plate with green chile on the side, and posole. The posole was wonderful, but the tacos were just so-so. The beef was just ground beef with no seasoning other than salt and pepper and was pretty bland. The most disappointing however was how wet everything on the plate was. I probably had 1/2 inch of "soup" on the plate - which made the tacos very soggy and impossible to eat without a fork and spoon! Have to admit though, the chile was delicious!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Talk about your fixer upper...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Delicious food. So so wait staff. Broke, tired, rustic decor which really kind of makes you want to gobble up your food and leave. I'm not saying I need white table cloth candlit settings to eat but sitting in a broken taped up booth kind of takes away from enjoying my meal. It makes me wonder if the kitchen is also as outdated??? I love the breakfast burritos, but its time to step it up in the furniture department Horsemans.

• Visited November 2013