New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Territorial Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Territorial Inn
Ranked #31 of 40 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Lucas, TX
“Pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

Wanting to be near downtown Santa Fe, but not wanting the steep prices of most of the hotels, we opted for The Territorial Inn at the Marcy, sight unseen! How delighted we were to find it all we could have wished for: one block from the Plaza, free parking for our car, lovely room with lots of light, newly redecorated, comfortable chairs as well as bed, friendly service, fresh cookies in the snack room each afternoon, plus Brandy in the evening; more than ample continental breakfast (included with the room) with lots of fresh fruit (cut and ready to add to waffle or cereal), Danish, whole grain breads, juices and good, dark roast coffee! The snack room was airy and inviting. When we return to Santa Fe, we won't bother looking anywhere else!

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Suegrita

massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

The best thing the Territorial Inn has is it's terrific location, both walking and driving around Santa Fe. The room was large (king/non-smoking), clean, and comfy. One window on a shady alley made the room dark and not a place you would want to spend much awake time. The morning breakfast was pretty basic, and boring after a two days or more, granola yogurt, tired fruit, and waffles. There was always ample parking, easy access to all roads leading around and out of the center of town. Nice sized bathroom, plenty of closet and drawer space, and offered everything needed, but not much more. The staff was very pleasant, and served nice cookies at tea time and brandy and chocolates at night. It was the best priced accomodation for a two and half star inn.

• Stayed June 2006
Mason Neck, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2006

The property is aging and the hot tub (fee) had dirt in the bottom when we were shown around. Our room was small with stained carpet..............the heat/air was turned to heat for the whole building and our room was stifling. The solution by management was to open our window which we didn't like due to being on the ground floor and the noise from the parking lot. It did get quite chilly the first night so we were glad of the heat, but apparently the manager decided to switch to airconditioning the next night, so we were much more comfortable. Another couple said their AC never worked at all. Breakfast not bad but not great. The breakfast room was quite cheery, and someone manned the waffle bar one of the days we were there. This was listed by someone as a four star which it certainly is NOT! Our stay was o.k. but we wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jlmurphyandpups

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

I was slightly apprehensive and unsure of what to expect when I booked the room, but I was pleasantly surprised. The folks at Territorial upgraded our room to a king from a full and were so pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean and large enough for relaxing... Not for staying in all day, but who wants to stay inside all day if you are in Santa Fe. Great breakfast each morning and delicious cookies in the afternoon. Walking distance to plaza and museums. A little misled because they have now officially shut down the "older" back portion of the inn.. but that leaves for all new rooms in the main building where there is a "night" spa. There isn't a hottub on the grounds except in the spa though...Clean and great energy.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank alance
Hay on Wye, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2005

We had a very pleasant stay of 5 nights at the Territorial Inn. Staff were helpful and friendly; excellent breakfasts; a tastefully decorated, clean, comfortable two bedroomed suite. We were told that they had found that the structural problems encountered in renovation of the old part of the Inn were too great, so the rooms and suites are now all in the newer Top of the Marcy Spa complex adjacent to the old inn. The position is excellent, and the high quality accommodation represents very good value.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank Pilgrim4
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2005

I arrived as stated in another review, with reservations but they were "OVERBOOKED". So I had to find another place to stay...what a giant disaster. The manager was very rude and could have cared less
that I had already paid for my room on line. So what ever you decide, best wishes and GOOD LUCK really getting a room. The best thing for this place is to get new owners and managers. MY ADVICE>>>STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed January 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

The Territorial Inn is a nice hotel, about two blocks from the Plaza. It has two buildings - the main house and the Marcy Wing, which is a more modern annex. I think it has a total of 25 rooms.

The main house is the more "bed and breakfasty" part of the hotel. It is an older territorial-style house with upstairs rooms. The Marcy Wing has a set of rooms arranged around a large central atrium-style kitchen/dining area where breakfasts are served.

The Territorial main house is set among trees. The Marcy Wing, on the other hand, is not a view location, and the rooms are somewhat darker. I'd say that if you expect to spend the bulk of your stay in your hotel room, the main house rooms would be better. Actually, if you expect to spend the bulk of your stay in your hotel room, you should consider staying home - c'mon, you're in Santa Fe because of Santa Fe, not because of whether there's a view outside the window of your hotel. I've stayed in La Fonda - it costs twice as much, and although the rooms are charming, I don't think it's worth twice as much as the Territorial.

I've stayed in B&Bs in England, France, Napa Valley, Monterey, and Santa Fe. I'd put this about in the middle in terms of B&B quality - the London B&Bs are small, dirty, and uncomfortable, with terrible food. The Monterey B&Bs all do continental breakfasts, and they're set in one of the most beautiful regions in the world, but they're small and dirty, with indifferent service. The Territorial is large, clean, and comfortable, and food is good, considering that it's not the focus of this experience. Northern England and France.. well, those were very nice. The English can't cook, the French were rude. Napa Valley... well, Napa Valley is heavenly. :-)

This is not a cuisine-based Bed & Breakfast. Don't expect to get five-star meals - I think they have appropriately decided not to try to compete with the more fantastic food options in Santa Fe. The breakfast is very modest, more of a continental breakfast than anything. However, it's a nice start to the day, and if you prefer to get a more substantial breakfast there are a couple of dozen restaurants within walking distance.

I think the Territorial is a bargain. I've stayed in the hotel three times, and will go back again when I return to Santa Fe. It's very close to the Plaza, and averaged about $130 a night. The rooms are large and comfortable. The bath is well-stocked, but not elaborately stocked.

They were extremely solicitous during my 7-night stay. There was a minor billing problem on check-out on my latest stay, but it was resolved very quickly without fuss. I had packages delivered to my room, no problem. I left notes for housekeeping for all of the issues that arose, and they were all resolved by the time I returned in the afternoon. They could offer a more complete set of services, perhaps at a premium, but the service package overall was very good.

So the way I break this down - the lodging is 5:5, the site is 5:5, location is 5:5, services are 4:5, food is 3:5. Overall, 4:5, because they do have room for improvement.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member