“Yum”

Cross street: Read St
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Yum”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We loved this little restaurant, the food was delicious for the price point. So good, that we went twice this past weekend. Friday night I had the salmon special which was cooked to perfection and served with beet sauce, polenta and green beans. The house salad had too much dressing for my taste, but that was remedied two nights later when I ordered the dressing on the side. My husband had the pasta special with meatballs, made with three types of meat. He loved it!

We returned on Sunday, when I ordered the risotto cake with pancetta, asparagus and cream sauce, delicious! My husband had the caprese salad with grilled tomatoes, wow! We also ordered the meatball pizza, yum! For dessert, we went for the pumpkin creme brulee, simply orgasmic! Great cup of cuppacino and and double espresso!

As an added bonus, there was a fantastic trio playing beautiful music (should have gotten their name and seen if they had CDs!) on Friday night, and Sunday night the extraordinary musician, Michael Tait Tafoya, played mesmerizing original guitar and song (thankfully, I remembered to ask about CDs!).

Loved the atmosphere, great service, nice owners! Thanks for two wonderful meals!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank elizabeth h

Virginia
“Nice atmosphere - ok food”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We found the atmosphere warm and cozy especially on a cikd November night. I ordered Chicken Parmesan which was tough with a bland marinara sauce. My husbands pizza was also nothing to rave about.
We did enjoy the dessert, peppermint sauce over cheese cake and choclate cookie crust.
Live music was nice.
With so many other resturant in Santa Fe, we won't be back.

• Visited November 2012
Seattle
“Nice service and lunch”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had lunch at Cafe Cafe and it was great. The service was good and I enjoyed the soup...nice experience!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kidlet
Chicago, IL
“Just Wow... terrific, personal service from manager Stu Dickson”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Overlooking that fact that anchovies were included in a pizza (as listed on the menu), we ordered it despite the fact that we had two vegetarians in our party of three.

When we mentioned this to our server, wishing to pay for the pizza but order another, Stu Dickson, the GM, came by our table and *refused* to take our money - or even to accept half payment - and instead *insisted* on replacing the pizza with a vegetarian version without charge - he knew that were were just visitors to Santa Fe, and unlikely to be repeat customers, but "it's just the way I like to do business".

Quite a refreshing change in a town where some places (you know who you are) charge you $2 if you want additional syrup for your pancakes!

And the pizza itself?

The best (of CafeCafe, Rooftop and Upper Crust) we had during our month's stay in Santa Fe.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank mthomasChicago
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“New Owners, Lousy Food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico for 5 years and have dined at Cafe Cafe serveral times.
It was disappointing to hear the the orginal owner and owner chef had sold the buisness for family reasons and had to return to the East Coast.

We thought we would give the new owner Stu and his partner a chance.

From the moment we walked in the door, October 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm it was dissappointing.
My daughter had made the arrangments and had even delivered flowers for my birthday.
We were a party of four, sat at the wrong table. The flowers were on another table and my partnered had even questioned if that table was for us (because of the flowers) the hostess said no, well come to find out the hostess or Stu never checked our reservation and it me getting my flowers to our table.

We decided to stay and hope for the best (didn't happen)

The food was horrible and a cheaped down version of what the menu described, remember we have dined there many times.

The Bib & Beet Salad, a disgrace. It was chopped up iceberg with canned chopped up beets and dressing from the bottle.

The Margarita Pizza, is now on a frozen crust with cheap cheese and bland tomatoes. Was so soggy we all scrapped off what we could eat.

The so called special dessert, Pumkin Creme Brulee, which the server recommended was aweful, no flavor, no pumkin and ice cold. I guest the "Chef ?" wanted to get rid of it because it was so bad.

Stu came over 7 times and was just talking to talk mainly about himself. One thing interesting is he said " If you take care of your own house (buisness) you don't need to worry about the compation" Well he better worry because people won't come back with his offering of lousy food riding on the reputation of Kirstin & Donalee.

It was an $84.00 bill for 4 and it sucked.

WE MISS ;YOU KIRSTIN & DONALEE

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank gotoeat603
Dominique B, Owner at Cafe Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We also are very desapointed with your experience . The goal is always to make you happy and give you the best experience possible. we are sorry we missed the mark on that special occasion . We have the same kitchen staff as the previous owner and kept all the same recipe in order to satisfy the loyal guests they have had for many years. I understand your frustration and I can assure you that all the food is fresh and not frozen...an off night in the kitchen . I hope that you'll give us another chance .
We feel very priviledge to have taken over a great restaurant from very competent previous owner , and our goal is to make sure that all the great concept will prevail and continue for the best.
Again we are sorry and invite you to contact us and come back.
Sincerely