“An Elf Prince reigning over a cave crammed with a phantasmagoria of images”

Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery
Ranked #16 of 211 Shopping in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Folk and Unusual arts from Mexico and New Mexico. Owned for 40 years in the same family!
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Davis Mather's Folk Art Gallery at 141 Lincoln just two blocks off the plaza in Santa Fe is not to be missed. His knowledge of the genre is exhaustive.. In addition to being a business owner and collector, He has been an active part of the folk art scene in the southwest for the last 35 years. He is probably the principal patron and promoter of the work of Felipe Archuleta......it is not an exaggeration to say that his devotion, sweat, persistence and faith in Archuleta helped bring Archuleta's work before a national and international audience.

3  Thank allentwood

Reviewed May 4, 2010

Altho I don't consider myself a collector, I enjoy folk art & enjoyed my visit to the Davis Mather gallery in Santa Fe. I'd certainly tell people to stop by & see if anything suits their fancy. I like (and now own) this clay piece by Josefina Aguilar of Oaxaca (pictured with a Navaho crow wood piece). It's a gift to myself for my 60th birthday.

2  Thank smithonkz
Reviewed April 28, 2010

It is rare to find art that can be appreciated and enjoyed regardless of age or taste but this place is great for young and old alike! We always make a point of stopping here when we are in Santa Fe and in never disappoints. It's a lovely way to get excited for the folk art museum, and owner is always fun. Everyone should see this place!

3  Thank joanreeder
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Ive been dealing with Davis and his family for over 17 years now and they are the best in the business. Ive collected folk art from all over the country and dealing with the Mathers is always a pleasure. When I cant visit the gallery in person, they go out of their way to help via phone and internet, sending additional photos, following up with information, etc. With over 200 galleries in Santa Fe, this one is a stand out and worth the trip by itself. Thanks Davis, thanks Amanda.

2  Thank cofoid21
Reviewed April 22, 2010

One of our great treats when we go to Santa Fe is to stop in at the Davis Mather's Art Gallery. It is more fun with a large selection of folk-lore type items primarily from Mexico. Do stop in when you are in Santa Fe for a visit, very informal, and you will be intrigued by the material on display.

Susan and Dick Kirk