“Magnificent Madeleine”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Magnificent Madeleine”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I normally don’t write too many of these reviews, but when the owner of The Madeleine asked us about our stay, and the service in particular, we found out about the horrible review they had just received. Our experience couldn’t have been more different from the writer who referred to this place as “mediocre”. We were in Santa Fe on a girl’s spa getaway and chose The Madeleine based on all the other stellar reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not at all disappointed. The property is charming, the food most excellent, and we all loved our rooms. I hate to admit it, but I can see that with six women, we can be quite demanding and, dare I say, high maintenance. Between the six of us, we had so many needs: lost luggage, dead car battery, food allergies, emergency medication needed, as well as the usual restaurant and direction questions. All of our requests and needs were taken care of promptly and cheerfully. If the staff did have an attitude, it was that they are the most hospitable and accommodating staff you could ever hope for. Another weird thing is that the person said there was nowhere to sit and read a book. What??? There are two areas on the ground floor of the inn, which accommodate at least 8 people in very comfortable seating, not to mention all the patio seating in the beautiful gardens. The spa was fabulous, and we all came out raving about our deluxe treatments and our facials. (Get the deluxe spa package for a real treat!!) We all absolutely loved this place and can’t wait to return. We hope to make it an annual pilgrimage.

• Liked — The feeling that we were with friends and family even though we had never met
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ColoradoCowgirl1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
south
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I completely agree with the AmesISU review from July. We stayed in the same room (Columbine) and felt the same way. The management response stated that there were larger rooms available at other properties, which would seem obvious, but this room was cramped. As soon as we walked in I wondered where I was going to put our luggage. There was barely enough room for 2 people much less their luggage. We had to fight stumbling over it the entire stay. We found the grounds to be adequate, but there was no place at this property or the property next door to relax and put your feet up. All the chairs were straight back patio chairs. I just wanted to lean back and read a book somewhere. With a cramped room, and the outdoor areas, I was never able to do this. We also thought this was not a good value for the money- but credited that to the location. I suppose Santa Fe is a very desirable tourist attraction which causes the prices to be higher. We have been to many, many B&B's all over the US. We felt the value here for the money was poor- the room for the money was very small and cramped, and we thought the home was run down and needed some work. We also thought the staff was not very hospitable. We arrived 30 minutes prior to check in and thought maybe our room might be ready. In many other places we have found that we can check in slightly early, but we completely understand if it is not ready and do not mind waiting. When asked if we might be able to check in, the staff person chided us for being "extremely early." She said the room would be ready in 10 minutes which turned out to be more like an hour. Again, we do not mind waiting at all and do not feel entitled to check in early, it was her attitude we found lacking. She continued to argue with me about the check in time and said "it is not like we are behind." I was not being argumentative and there was no excuse for her attitude. One morning I was trying to figure out how to use the electric tea pot in the common area. When I asked a staff person, she said rather curtly, "Well, I just got here!" Again, I was just trying to turn it on and asked for help! I did not say anything about her service or arrival and there was no reason for her to get defensive. We also requested a few extra bath towels but never received them. Overall, the staff in my opinion was average at best. The people we dealt with did not have the best attitude.
The best thing about the Inn was the location and the food. The food was just about the best we have had at any B&B. We really looked forward to the baked goods each day, but on our last day, we were disappointed that they never brought any out. I would not go back to this Inn.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LBkygirl
carolyninnkeeper, owner at The Madeleine, responded to this review, August 10, 2008
I am devastated to read such a negative review on our inn. As for the Columbine Room, when it came time to replace the bed, I deliberated for some time before deciding to put in a king bed. So many of our guests ask for king beds, and while I knew the space would be a bit tight, I decided to go ahead and opt for the king bed, and then charge less than our other more spacious rooms with king beds. After reading today's review, I asked our current guests of the Columbine how they found the room, and they said they would much rather pay less money but still have a king bed, and asked that I not change the bed to a queen. They have been guests of ours several times, and really seem to like the room. After our first negative review on the room, I asked the current guests at the time for their feelings, and they said they really loved the room, the stay, etc. and wouldn't change anything at all.

As for the service, I believe that excellent service is imperative at any establishment, and especially at a B&B. I have spoken to our weekend innkeeper, and she says she remembers these guests from check-in. She claims that rather than chiding them, she simply asked if they were on the same time zone as we were. She says she spent a lot of time with them, offered to carry their bags, made dinner reservations for them, pointed out places on the map, etc. I apologize that anyone would have treated them with anything other than utmost kindness. I will be looking into the teapot remarks and the lack of additional towels, as our weekend innkeeper says those were not issues that she was aware of. I take this sort of thing very seriously, and will give notice to any staff member who is rude to our guests.
As for cookies, we put a large platter of fresh-baked cookies out every afternoon. The next day the innkeeper makes more cookies. With check-out at 11am, I am guessing that all the cookies made the day before were eaten up and the new ones had not yet been baked.
I am grateful for this feedback as it will help me to run a better inn. I have always been told by guests that they adore our staff and find them to be wonderful, but obviously someone needs some reminding of what it means to be in service. I will have a meeting with staff on this issue right away. I will also revise the Columbine Room copy on our website so that guests realize that there is not a lot of floor space in the room, and that there is only one arm chair in the room.
Oh yes, as for comfortable chairs elsewhere. The living room has two really comfortable sofas and three armchairs. There are about 6 rocking chairs scattered around the garden patios. I often see guests sitting at all of these places as they read books, read the newspaper, or just relax.
Kaneohe Hawaii
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I stayed as a solo traveler in the Hyacinth room, and I absolutely loved this B&B and the Nirvana Spa! Please see my extended review under "Hacienda Nicholas" (a sibling property to this one), as I have lots of good things to say about the Inns but don't want to repeat it all here. I do not think you will be disappointed if you stay here. If you are disappointed, I feel you may be the kind of person who cannot be pleased anywhere.

• Liked — the spa and the location
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Mommysgirl
California
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I have been coming to Santa Fe for years for both business and pleasure, so have stayed in the big pricey hotels and many of the small inns that abound in this town. How wonderful to have stumbled across this hidden gem of an inn, tucked away on a dead end street near the Plaza, so you hear none of the traffic or hustle bustle of the town. The décor is a stunning blend of Victorian and Asian, with rich oriental rugs and period antiques. I would start my day with coffee in the lovely gardens, listening to the bird calls from the huge trees that surround the property. Then a fabulous breakfast (the blue corn waffles are heavenly!) before hitting the shops, galleries and museums. They also have a fun wine & cheese hour each night, which I tried to get back for. I met some really interesting people at both breakfast and the cocktail hour, which made the trip that much more enjoyable. I had to move rooms during my stay, as this was high season and I booked late, but I was very happy in both. The Morning Glory, aptly named for the streaming morning sunlight, is a huge room with a sumptuous bed and armoire. The bed was so comfortable it was hard to get up in the morning, but the weather was so perfect that I felt the need to get out and see the sights. My favorite was the suite in the back gardens, which was even more quiet and private, and had an inviting window seat. Wish I'd had more time to just hang out and read. All in all, a fabulous stay and definitely a place to come back to again and again.

• Liked — The people we met there
  • Disliked — no pets
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed four nights in the Columbine Room at the Madeleine and had an absolutely wonderful time. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The house, dating from the 1800's is full of charm and well-kept by the super staff. We especially enjoyed the home-baked goodies along with coffee and tea that were outside our room all the time.

Breakfasts were outstanding with a wonderful hot dish each morning, an abundance of fresh fruit and the wonderfully fresh-baked pastries. The afternoon social was a must attend with wine and appetizers served by a friendly and helpful staff.

We compliment the management and staff for their emphasis on running a green inn and tried to do our bit by recycling as well. They were most hospitable always asking what we needed and offering advice and suggestions about things to do and see while we were in the area.

The inn is well-located on a quiet cul-de-sac and an easy walk from the plaza. We also spent a great deal of time outside on the comfortable covered front porch.

We've been visiting in Santa Fe for over 20 years but have always stayed in hotels. We're glad to have discovered this gem of an inn and plan to visit again as well as recommend it to our friends. Thanks again for a super weekend!

• Liked — hospitality of the staff
  • Disliked — television wasn't very large and the closet space was limited
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2008

After a wonderful night at The Madeleine's exceptional sister B&B, Hacienda Nicholas, my sister and I moved across the street to The Madeleine. This is lifted directly from my journal: "We drove across the street to our new B&B and fell immediately in love with everything about it. Our room is on the top floor -- the only room up there and it is full of character." I go on to describe our wondrous, delightful suite in detail, as well as to say, "the rest of the Inn has been described as "Victorian meets Asian". It's quite dramatic, with interesting touches, such as a collection of Indonesian puppets, and a charming sitting room downstairs where there is always a selection of teas, coffee, and cookies or other homemade sweets are available.

We came to Hacienda Nicholas and The Madeleine after a very poor experience at a nearby B&B that we left after one night. We were graciously accepted with no notice whatsoever and could not have asked for more from these two inns.

P.S. I write about food and the breakfasts here were outstanding!

• Liked — Graciousness, the food they prepared, advice and suggestions, design and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008
Ames, Iowa USA
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for one night. I agree completely with earlier reviews about the excellent breakfast and baking at the inn. However, I was much less pleased with the overall quality and the room we occupied. The inn has a quiet location but does not offer much in the way of gardens and outdoor space. What was once Victorian elegance is now at best very faded elegance. Our room, the Columbine, is smallish and the furniture spoils the space in the room. There is a massive king-sized bed and a large chair that together take up most of the space. It is awkward for two people to try to move around in this room. And no place for two people to sit. The advertised bay window is mostly obscured and what clear glass there is looks out on the car park.. There is a fireplace but neither space nor chairs in which to enjoy it (not that we needed it in July). The bath ls old and small with little vanity space. My two summary comments are: 1) we were way overcharged for the quality of the accommodations, and 2) this room could be made much more comfortable with furniture and seating arrangements scaled to the room size. We did not see any other room at the Madeleine or the associated Nicholas (where breakfast is served) so my negative comments apply specifically to the room we occupied.

• Liked — location, breakfast, baked sweets
  • Disliked — the small, crowded, over-priced room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmesISU
carolyninnkeeper, owner at The Madeleine, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
I am sorry to read that this guest was unhappy with their room and the property in general. We are constantly in the process of updating, renovating, painting and refurbishing, though do not bill ourselves as a five star resort property. We strive to retain the character of this historic building while offering comfortable accommodations, great food and warm, friendly service.

We find that guests prefer king beds, so decided to put a king bed in this room, even though it is a bit tight. Guests have also expressed delight in having a fireplace view from the bed, though there is only one large ‘comfy’ chair from which to view the fireplace.
The house is quite old, having been built in 1886, so the bathrooms in the main house tend to be smaller than modern-sized bathrooms. There is a small dresser in the bathroom, along with a large hanging cabinet for toiletries. We do have two newer garden cottages, Violet and Forsythia, which would be more appropriate choices for someone wanting a spacious room with a more modern sized bathroom.

I am also sorry that these guests were expecting larger gardens. It is not our intent to misrepresent our property at all. We are in the heart of the historic east side, just a few blocks from the Plaza. Our lot size is large for this part of town, but is just under an acre. While there are several areas in which to sit and enjoy the gardens and the shade of many trees, we took out all the grass and replaced it with patio and garden beds and pots.

As for the price, Santa Fe has become a very expensive city. I regret they feel they were overcharged. With a beautiful historic home in downtown Santa Fe, full breakfast, homemade cookies and teas, nightly wine & cheese, wi-fi, cable TV, phone, and warm and helpful staff, we feel our guests are getting a very fair price.