“Best B & B Ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingston, NY
“Best B & B Ever”
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This past week my husband and I went to Santa Fe, NM for a long weekend. We had selected The Madeleine for our B & B from browsing Santa Fe places to stay. We had a delightful stay. It's, as are most B & B's, a charming place and beautfully furnished. The location is perfect. It's an easy walk to the historic area of Santa Fe and at the same time in a quiet location at the end of a dead end street. We were very comfortable in our bedroom with our luxurious pillow top mattress. We had wonderful full breakfasts every morning. There was yogurt and granola, breads, muffins and a hot entree. The two mornings we were able to have the full breakfast they had french toast with cream cheese, almonds and blueberries on top and the second morning we had a spinach frittata, both being delicious. The third morning we had to leave early before breakfast to catch a plane so they let us come into the dining room and help ourselves to some bread, granola and cereal and coffee. Downstairs in the entry hall there was always coffee, tea, homebaked cookies and other treats available. One afternoon when we arrived back from exploring Santa Fe, we were helping ourselves to some tea and Kevin, the Innkeeper, said come into the kitchen and offered us cookies fresh out of the oven. The whole staff made us feel so welcome and happy to see us. They were most helpful in informing us what special things were going on that we shouldn't miss and what restaurants were outstanding. We felt completely at home at The Madeleine.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Micki66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Seattle
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I chose this bed and breakfast based on all the reviews I read on this website. My husband and I both enjoyed our stay very much. The house is beautiful and comfortable. The rooms were very clean and we just felt right at home. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. The food was excellent as well! My husband and I LOVED Kevin's cookies-they were the best. We also took advantage of the spa services as well-we recommend it! Overall a wonderful experience and relaxing experience.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank njpjsd
NM
Reviewed March 23, 2008

The Madeleine is a quiet, peaceful B&B located at the end of a city street, just a stone's throw from the plaza. The atmosphere is relaxing, calming and you awake to singing birds and a tranquility comparable to a country B&B. The main house is charming with reading material, antique furnishings and snacks/drinks at any hour. We stayed in the Forsythia in the cottage and savored the fireplace and daybed, as well as the King bed and spacious private bath. Right outside our door was a lovely courtyard with rocking chairs that offered a perfect location to curl up with a book. The breakfasts were magnificent with scrumptous food and compelling company gathered around big wooden tables. The evening wine and snacks were perfect before a dinner on the town. Oh, and the cookies...well, they were the best cookies I have ever tasted.
The Spa was steps away from our door and we enjoyed a couples massage that melted away any stress that entered with us.
This B&B is a must for any B&B lover. Don't leave Santa Fe without a dinner at Thai Cafe (great prices, great curry) followed by an evening of entertainment at the Vanessie piano bar just a block away from the Thai restaurant. Great tunes, great singing and great audience interaction make up for the over-priced drinks/appetizers.
If we ever return to Santa Fe, we'll repeat on all accounts.

• Liked — On-site spa, incredible breakfasts, location to plaza/restaurants
  • Disliked — weekend rate increase
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bountiful, Utah
Reviewed March 21, 2008

The Madeleine was charming. The bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. The breakfast each morning was great. The wine and cheese in the early evening was and end to a perfect day. The staff was friendly and pleasant. All the other people we met that were also staying there were friendly also. It was like a big family. It was a perfect celebration to a 30th Anniversary Kevin's cookies were off the charts. I believe we ate a dozen or so. I will tell others about The Madeleine. We had the best time ever

Stayed March 2008
Rock Hill, SC
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I truly enjoyed my stay at The Madeleine. I actually found the place based on the recommendation of a travel guide that I purchased. I have really come to rely on those recommendations for travel as they are almost always on target...this one certainly did not let me down. The staff was friendly and helpful. Each morning, breakfast was a fantastic treat. Kevin's cookies were heavenly. Sante Fe parking is at a premium, so being in close proximity to downtown really was a huge help. We were in walking distance to all the touristy sites and many, many restaurants. If I were to visit the area again, I would absolutely book with Madeleine.

Stayed March 2008
Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The stay at Madeline Inn was very relaxing. It has a calming quality the moment you enter the inn with wonderful touches of the south east. The sky room in the old attic was very spacious and reminded one of childhood days. It is also great to see places run in an environmentally responsible manner. The helpfulness and warmth was truly appreciated

Stayed February 2008
RI
Reviewed January 22, 2008

While attending my daughter's wedding in Santa Fe, I wanted to also experience more of the local flavor than I thought I'd find in a regular hotel. I feel very lucky to have chosen The Madeleine!

The staff were all pleasant and helpful and our room was perfect! We stayed in "Grandma's Attic" and it looked exactly like the pictures online. It was cozy and private and was a wonderful retreat. One of the nice "plusses" of the B&B was that there were alway 'treats' waiting in the foyer. Kevin's cookies were out of this world! (Tasty and even semi-healthy! ) He was also wonderful about helping us plan a day trip after the wedding was over.

The breakfast's were all delicious. Annie's frittata was so fantastic I had to ask for seconds! We were only able to attend one afternoon wine and cheese get-together since we had been tied up with wedding plans. But it was so nice to come together at the end of the day and compare notes with the other guests in front of the fireplace. We met some very nice people and most of them were repeat guests at the Madeline or Hacienda Nicholas.

I look forward to returning here in the future and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good food, friendly people and being located off the beaten path - even though it's one half block away from "the beaten path"! It was great to get to walk to so many places and just leave the car parked for a few days!

• Liked — Location, food, friendliness, quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business