“Good display of art”

New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse)
Ranked #9 of 267 things to do in Santa Fe
Elyria, Ohio
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Good display of art”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The state house features a very extensive display of art, featuring artists from New Mexico. In addition the building itself is worth a tour. -- and its all free

• Korean first
Ocala, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“One of the more interesting state capitals”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have visited perhaps about 35 state capitals and must admit that this one is one of the more interesting ones. Art work in the building was nice and the round building was really efficient. I enjoyed walking the three floors available to the public. The state congress was not in session, but was allowed to see the floor from the visitor's area (gallery). Definately a "must-see" in Santa Fe!

Seattle, Washington
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Don't miss the Capitol.”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This should definitely be on the "must see" list of things to do in Santa Fe. The building is beautiful even though not old and the art collection is amazing and so accessible to visators. The span of history through art would be of interest to anyone and the people working there are so friendly and make guests feel very welcome. It is a very pleasant walk from the main Plaza and convenient to the Canyon Road Galleries.

Savannah, Georgia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Truly Unique Capitol Building”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I'd seen the pictures and read up on this capitol and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It was certainly different from all of the other capitols - I'd even heard it referred to as the "Taco Bell Headquarters!" But, having been there, I can say it is a must-see whether you're trying to see the capitol buildings or spending some time in Santa Fe. I've never seen this much art in a capitol - it almost covers all of the walls! And the chairs and benches are also art themselves. It's almost a challenge to take it all in. And it is, of course, free. The staff is also very pleasant. This is almost an art gallery that just happens to include a couple of legislative chambers and political offices. But if you want a proper tour, be sure to call ahead and schedule one. And even though I didn't get a tour, I still enjoyed my time here.

Chicago
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“US history, 400 years +”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

While doing research prior to our New Mexico trip, I was impressed that we had a chance to tour the oldest state capitol in the US. The building is more modern, but its legacy drew us to spend some time to appreciate the state's long history. Our visit didn't cost a cent. The capitol building is in town, easy to locate. Ample covered parking is across the street. At the entrance, one of the security guards gave us a friendly overview. There weren't any crowds, and we were at leisure to browse to our heart's content. We entered both the house and senate chambers, imagining the proceedings if in session. The extensive art collections are impressive. The special exhibits were contemporary and interesting as well. Well worth a look!