“Truly Unique Capitol Building”

New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse)
Ranked #9 of 260 things to do in Santa Fe
Savannah, Georgia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Truly Unique Capitol Building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I'd seen the pictures and read up on this capitol and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It was certainly different from all of the other capitols - I'd even heard it referred to as the "Taco Bell Headquarters!" But, having been there, I can say it is a must-see whether you're trying to see the capitol buildings or spending some time in Santa Fe. I've never seen this much art in a capitol - it almost covers all of the walls! And the chairs and benches are also art themselves. It's almost a challenge to take it all in. And it is, of course, free. The staff is also very pleasant. This is almost an art gallery that just happens to include a couple of legislative chambers and political offices. But if you want a proper tour, be sure to call ahead and schedule one. And even though I didn't get a tour, I still enjoyed my time here.

• Korean first
Chicago
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“US history, 400 years +”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

While doing research prior to our New Mexico trip, I was impressed that we had a chance to tour the oldest state capitol in the US. The building is more modern, but its legacy drew us to spend some time to appreciate the state's long history. Our visit didn't cost a cent. The capitol building is in town, easy to locate. Ample covered parking is across the street. At the entrance, one of the security guards gave us a friendly overview. There weren't any crowds, and we were at leisure to browse to our heart's content. We entered both the house and senate chambers, imagining the proceedings if in session. The extensive art collections are impressive. The special exhibits were contemporary and interesting as well. Well worth a look!

Marysville, Washington
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Interesting to Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I like to visit Capitol buildings. This building has lots of public access, lots of public art and the house and senate chambers were open for viewing. There may be free parking across the street at the visitors center.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Good way to understand the history of the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Very good and well set out, lots of detailed information. Only thing missing was a cafe or restaurant.

Lakewood, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The State Capitol that's also an art museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The walls on three floors of the capitol building are covered in art. It is free to see and the quality is outstanding.