“The quilts display and art are wonderful”

New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse)
Ranked #9 of 268 things to do in Santa Fe
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The quilts display and art are wonderful”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I loved seeing Baumann woodcuts, quilts and other wonderful art. It is a great gallery. It is within walking distance of downtown too.

Visited April 2012

• Korean first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Best art of any capitol”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We citizens can be joyfully proud that our state capitol is chock full of art by NM artists, paintings, sculptures, weavings, woodwork, furniture the range is quite impressive. I suggest going to 3rd floor and seeing everyone's favorite Buffolo Head made from recycled objects -- so wonderful. Walk all the floors and don't forget to take the sunny enclosed walkway to the annex. There's a great David Bradley that is hung sort of out of sight. Ferret it out!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Wonderful New Mexican artists”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

If one wants to skip the galleries and museums for a 'catch all' view of New Mexico artists, the Roundhouse is the place to go. There is parking in the nearby lots and/or garage, and one will experience wonderful art, from textiles to B&W photography, to paintings, sculptures, and more. It is only open during the week, but this free 'museum' offers a beautiful glimpse of the land of enchantment. Docents are also there to explain the works on exhibit.

Visited November 2012
Orland Park, Illinois
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Well worth the stop”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This Capitol Building is like no other. There is no dome. And, the interior is very much like an art museum. Parking was easy and free. I parked across the street (the Old Santa Fe Trail) at the Visitor's Center.

I enjoy photographing capitol buildings. When I asked at the desk if photography was permitted, I was assured that I could shoot whatever I wished. I was told that I could even shoot the artwork...and use flash if I wanted. Also, I was permitted to set up a tripod for each shot, I ended up with a nice collection of photographs--the exterior, the rotunda, sample of the artwork, the House of Representatives, etc.

The building is beautiful inside and out. Highly recommended!

Sarasota, Florida
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Round and round you can go”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Lovely building and you can take photos. The staff are helpful and give great info to all visitors. Worth a visit