“Not fancy, but a solid hotel”

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #45 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Irvine, California
“Not fancy, but a solid hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

A little nervous when arriving, but our stay here was without incident and the nights were very quiet even against a pretty busy street. The mattresses are softer and older than most HI Expresses, but the rooms are kept clean and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. You are pretty close to downtown and many good restaurants. There are a couple large shopping centers as well. The only downside is the pool is non-existent and no hot tub after a long day of rafting or shopping. Also parking can be tight late at night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank drillerdoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

There were two positives about this hotel: it is not far from the old square in Santa Fe, and the people who work at the desk are very friendly. Other than that, I was disappointed. We were travelling with two children, so I opted for the "suite." The room was set up such that it did not feel like the kids were in a separate area. There was a big cut-out in the wall and only one tv for the room. The couch bed was incredibly uncomfortable. The room was run-down and felt dirty. The head board of the bead was oily. I was not comfortable. I also felt that we had overpaid for what we got with the suite at around $120 per night. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank acaustin_10

Travelers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

This was a nice hotel for our two night stay in Santa Fe - we were upgraded to a king suite from our original two queen room when we checked in. Our room was very large and it was nice to have so much room. The front desk staff did a great job suggesting local dining for us and providing directions to them and to sites in Sante Fe. There were always fresh baked cookies available in the evening and coffee too - a nice perk. Breakfast was included and was a great way to start the day before exploring Santa Fe and the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jaxvo
New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

I am a woman who travels with two small dogs. This hotel does not charge extra for pets. All you have to do is sign a waiver attesting to your intent to pay for any untoward damages caused by the pets. The area is a good one for taking your pets for walks without worrying too much about traffic. Although there is no grass if you walk around a couple of blocks you will find places for your pet to "go." Be sure to take pick up bags with you as these are not available along the way. The room was clean and secure. I slept well and was not disturbed by noises outside my room. The staff went out of their way to be of assistance, telling me where I could walk my pets and where to stay away from. The lobby is clean and quiet. Breakfast was provided but I chose to skip it since there were not many wholesome foods available. The hotel is not downtown so if you plan on spending a lot of time in the downtown area you might want to consider the commute. However, I would recommend this hotel just for the price. I paid $89.00 per night which was the most reasonable price I found in the very expensive city. I'm sure the price will go up during tourist season.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

This Holiday Inn Express still has the old sign but it's clean and service is good. It's very easy to find when you drive there from the airport in Alburqueque. You can't walk to downtown but it's an easy 15-min-drive.
One light bulb was not working and the heater was on the louder side but everything else worked fine in the room. Beds were comfy, bathroom had all the amenities we needed, we didn't hear neighbours or people in the hallway, and the breakfast buffet was great. Wireless internet was fast and didn't drop. Parking was free. Definitely a good value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank sk_denny
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed here for one night while traveling from Colorado to southern NM for our honeymoon. The staff was friendly and helpful. Clean, comfortable room. Great place for traveling with pets.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank z0bird
Lubbock, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

First off, if you are looking for something close and convenient to the Santa Fe Plaza, this might not be the place for you. We were overnighting on our way ultimately to Moab, Utah, and the location worked for us and our overall plans.

This property was most certainly some other chain in its previous life and only later became branded as a Holiday Inn Express. It is certainly not of the caliber of the newer Holiday Inns, nor Holiday Inn Expresses you see lately. Parking is scarce and awkward (like most parking in Santa Fe). There are no automatic doors to welcome you in and you immediately fall into the registration area and breakfast nook as you enter. There is no real lobby to speak of. It became evident to me that this hotel is the sum total of two separate buildings later conjoined as one making the layout somewhat unusual as a result. The halls are small and narrow, and the decor seemed outdated and kitschy (Santa Fe gone bad). Nevertheless, the staff was extremely friendly and the service was great.

The rooms were clean and tidy, however, we had a Double room (not double Queens) and it was cramped and crowded with furniture that was ill-placed for the allotted space. This could certainly be overcome with more space-efficient furnishings and some appropriate staging by an experienced individual. The rooms DID have a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. Don't expect the larger bathrooms either. They are on the smallish side and have not been updated with the larger vanity as other HI properties I have visited.

The pool area almost seems an afterthought and not particularly private. It's positioning/location reminds me of much older MOTELS my parents used to take me to back in the 70's, but it served my two boys' purpose. Most of all, it was clean, and orderly, and secure.

This is not what I have come to expect from Holiday Inn, nor Holiday Inn Express properties I have visited in the past. The rate we paid was $108 for the one night on an advanced booking, but you probably could have found something better for the same, or even lower price further down the street. While the price initially appeared right, the hotel just didn't meet the grade. It certainly didn't make me feel like I was on HOLIDAY with my family. Instead, it reminded me of one of those cheap hotel/motels that the airline usually puts you up in if you have to overnight. But, if it is only a place for you to put your head in the evening, then this might be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family