“Lovely hotel.. on a golf course.. next door to a casino”

Homewood Suites Santa Fe
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed August 21, 2010

When we tried to book a hotel for a week in August in Santa Fe back in March, I was astounded there were no rooms available anywhere. The week we chose is the week of the annual Indian Art Market. The only room we could get was at this Homewood Suites. We had never stayed at a Homewood Suites hotel before, but certainly would again.

Though the hotel is at least a 15-minute highway drive from the center of Santa Fe, it is in a beautiful area with the Hilton right next door (which has a casino) and surrounded by the Towa golf course. It is only a few miles from Tesuque with its great roadhouse restaurant (the Tesuque Village Market) and the Santa Fe Opera House.

The swimming pool is big, the grounds beautifully kept, the staff very friendly and helpful, the rooms immaculate - and so practical for people who (like us) had been travelling for two weeks and were dying to wash clothes and iron them! The fully equipped kitchen gave us the chance to take a break from constant restaurant meals.

For all the posters complaining about smokers: we're smokers and we loved that the HS offers the possibility of having a smoking room!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Ritchissimo
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites Santa Fe

Reviewed August 2, 2010

After reading the horrible reviews, I was scared to go but I had no choice because it was a business trip and I could not choose the hotel. After a bad check-in due to a moronic customer (not management's fault), I was given a room in the main building. Apparently, the main building suites are not as nice as the other suites but the main building has an elevator whereas the outside suites have stairs. I found my suite to be nice (typical Homewood Suites).

The hotel is next to the Buffalo Thunder casino. Check out the Monday night buffet special for $7.77. The casino is small but has a few restaurants and you have access to the nice pools and pretty good fitness room. I used the Hilton fitness room rather than the Homewood Suites one because it was better. Note to Homewood Suites: improve your fitness rooms!

I used the Homewoods outdoor pool which was nice but had black lounge chairs which could burn the skin. I simply placed towels all over the chair and was good to go. The hilton pools (outdoor and indoor) are superior and also have a whirlpool.

The complimentary breakfast was perfectly fine and had enough variety. The happy hour food was adequate. I mostly went out for dinner but you need a car (this hotel is fairly far north of downtown Santa Fe). The casino next door can be walked to and has some restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Irony093
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The worst Homewood Suites I have stayed in to date. We asked for a nonsmoker room and got a smoker room that had been "cleaned". Smell was awful. When I complained to management and asked for a change I was told that there were no rooms available but they could do a "30 min. ozone treatment" that would make a big difference. Only for about an hr and then it went back to smelling musty and like stale tobacco. My daughter literally gagged every time we left the suite and returned.
Housekeeping was below average. Asked to have the room vacuumed several times as we were there for over a week but they never did. Once they forgot to clean the room at all and when I called the front desk they asked me if I could make do with a few clean towels?! I said no as it was only 4 PM and they sent someone up to do a little better than that.
Front desk was very disorganized and staffed by young women that seemed to be in their early 20's and inexperienced. Only one person on duty in a packed hotel with over 120 suites is not going to run smoothly.
Breakfast was awful. fake eggs that had been pre-made and microwaved before being put out. Same rubbery sausage day after day. My family all said it was inedible so I tried it on the last day and it was that bad. Cheap white and wheat breads to toast and frozen mini bagels. Most of the fruit was canned. Only two cereal choices. At least the kitchen staff was friendly and helpful.
Best part was the pool behind the hotel and the fact that the hotel was nicely located with good views of the desert.
Caren from Boston

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CAREN54
hilton01, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

In regards to your TripAdvisor review about our Homewood Suites property in Santa Fe, I ask that you please contact me, or let me know how I can reach out to you to make this situation right. Please give me a call at 505-455-9100 or email me at Darlene.Martinez@Hilton.com. Again, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed July 4, 2010

after booking and receiving a cofirmed non smoking room in March 2010, we were put in a smoking room upon check-in. The manager told us there were no other rooms (at 2:00 p.m.) available - they were sold out. The next day when the room was cleaned there was no toilet paper left. We called the front desk to ask for some but hours latter, it still wasn't there. When we were leaving for dinner we inquired again at the front desk about the toilet papper and she said she was the only one there and would have to bring it to our room herself. Then to add insult to injury, on the second day, we left the hotel at 9:00 am and returned at 4:30 pm to find that our room was never cleaned. We called the front desk and reported it and asked if we could at least have clean towls. It has been an hour, and still no clean towls.
The free morning breakfast is always out of food and the tables are dirty. Pretty sad for a fairly new property. My advice, unless you are desperate, don't stay here - too much stress.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
hilton01, Manager at Homewood Suites Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

We understand that vacations very important, so we try very hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We are very sorry that our hotel was not able to provide you with the quality of service and amenities you deserve. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you, in order to make this right.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

The only problem we had was difficulty finding the hotel. When we called to get directions because we were lost, the person that answered wasn't much help at all. You would think they'd have a map in front of them and ready to direct people especially if they KNOW that mapquest and google maps misdirects guests. We had Casita Wije and were sooo pleased with the room, the breakfast, the free dinner and all the other amenities. We were a 60 yo couple, (3) 30 year olds, a teen and a 6 yo. Everyone was comfortab le and happy with the service. We split the costs 3 ways which turned out to be very economical.
By the way, as a guest you are welcome to use the main hotel/resort and their pool which is waaaay better than the pool at the Homewood Extended suites.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Wingit_SATX
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Checked in after 3PM and left to drive to Taos. Came back after 10PM. Message on room phone--called front desk. Desk clerk said I needed to sign registration form. I said I was tired and would sign it in the morning. She said that was impossible--had to be signed immediately. I had a guaranteed reservation which could not be cancelled. I would have been charged for the room whether I showed up or not. Signing a form made no difference--I would be charged! I went down and signed the form and the lady at the front desk couldn't have been more rude and disrespectful! I normally stay at Hampton Inns and never have a problem. Homewood Suites are supposed to be a step up--not in my opinion. Room was very nice. Ethernet cable was broken--no wireless! Room was in separate unit in the back with 7 other rooms. Stairs--no elevator! No ice machine--a hundred yard walk and than upstairs to the ice machine. The hot food at the breakfast bar was all COLD. Homewood Suites has real plates and silverware--only problem they were all dirty and I had a cheap paper plate and plastic. Attendant at breakfast was either overwhelmed or very inefficeint. Homewood Suites is located 15 miles north of Santa Fe.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2010

1. There is only one Homewood Suites in Santa Fe, although TripAdvisor says there are two.
2. If you use Google Maps or Google Maps on the iPhone to direct you to the hotel, it will lead you to a KOA campground on the southeast side of town. The hotel is actually 10-15 miles northwest of Santa Fe, nicely positioned to see the Santa Fe area since most of the attractions besides the city itself are to the north/northwest. The hotel sits directly next to a Hilton hotel/casino complex, however, it is set far enough away to not be a problem.

We love Homewood Suites and stayed at four different ones on our trip out west. We love the suite layouts, the breakfasts and the pools. We thoroughly enjoyed our night stay here, except for the pool situation: the Homewood Suites pool is outdoors and the night was chilly (bummer!) but the nice person at the desk arranged for us to swim at the Hilton (yea!) next door. The clerk at the Hilton gave us key cards to access the indoor pool (yea!), and it had a Roman theme, complete with pillars in the middle of the pool, but the pool's water was the cloudiest we had seen in a long time (bummer). The kids report they could barely see their feet or the bottom. It was a short, disapppointing swim for the kids.

We arrived later on a Sunday, so our dining options were limited. However, we got nice made-while-you-wait deli takeout sandwiches from a cafe in the Casino at the Hilton next door. The hotel room itself was quite nice and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family