“hot water, cool air - great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ten Thousand Waves

Ten Thousand Waves
Ranked #1 of 40 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“hot water, cool air - great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stopped by while I was in Santa Fe on the recommendation of friends. I had no reservations, but there was space in the women's bath and I was able to book a yasuragi treatment. I let the desk know it was my first visit, and one of the staff immediately came out to give me a little tour and explain how things worked, so I had no unpleasant surprises or confusion that others seem to have experienced.

The bath was wonderful - yes, there were a bunch of naked ladies, but unlike some reviewers past I don't need my own personal deck throne and so didn't feel deprived while relaxing in the hot bath, waiting for a chair. I was in and out of the hot water several times - it's darned hot! But it feels great. I was called for my treatment a few minutes before it started, and although my therapist (Philip) was all business, I found the massage really relaxing and comfortable. I wasn't watching the clock, so can't comment on the precise number of minutes I got, but it felt like just enough.

Responding to what other people have complained about:
1. People are naked. Yes, that's true. I guess a private bath is necessary if you have a problem being naked or seeing naked people. Didn't bother me at all.
2. Kimonos are thin and winter is cold. That's probably also true, though I got there on a rare warm day in winter (about 45 degrees). I wouldn't spend a lot of time wandering if it were super cold - but from the bath down to my treatment was about 20 steps, I doubt I'd freeze to death.
3. Gift shop isn't luxe. That's true. I was there to have a hot relaxing bath, not buy tchotchkes. But if you wanted to buy things other than lotion or shampoo, I wouldn't recommend the gift shop.
4. Staff is rushed. Sort of true - they didn't waste a lot of time chit-chatting and Philip was certainly ready to move on as soon as my treatment was done, but he didn't shoo me out of the room or anything.
5. Spa is not luxurious enough and guests are not treated like royalty. That's definitely true...I'm not a high-maintenance person, so this wasn't a negative, to me.
6. Stairs are numerous/steep. Yes. I'm in pretty good shape, but I was kind of winded. I guess I should have walked instead of running!
7. Locker rooms are small, showers are small. Yes. I wouldn't have minded a bit more room to change. Winter coats and boots took up a lot of room. But everyone was nice about it.
8. You have to bring your own comb. Seriously? I would anyway...but yes, this is true. The spa assumes you have a comb and does not provide you one.

6 Thank soundp

Vancouver, BC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Not normally a spa person, this was awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

I have never been to a spa before and have only gone for massage to work on sports related injuries. That being said, this place was really cool. We started out the day with an hour rental of a premium private pool (this was about $25 and worth every penny). Our pool had a hot tub and a cold plunge pool along with a sauna and some private sitting area, it was very relaxing, private and fun. We then did a salt scrub and neck massage treatment that was surprisingly awesome and I would recommend for couples in a heart beat. They also have a relaxation room that you can chill in with a book or some headphone, a women's only pool and a communal pool. Note the communal pool is mostly full of naked men. The facility itself is Japanese themed but is showing its age. The staff are mostly hippies, all were very nice. If you plan on being there a while you should bring a snack, they have some food for purchase but it was just average.

1 Thank kitseng
Bend, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Go here to be pampered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

My wife and I experienced Ten Thousand waves for the first time the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We had a gift certificate from our son and his wife and we opted to use it and pay additional monies for the Buddha's Treat. WOW what a TREAT! First we soaked for an hour in our own private tub on the hillside. Then we met our couple's spa therapists. For the next two hours or so we gave our bodies over to the most wonderful spa treatments that we have ever encountered. They wrapped each of us in a hot herbal wrap, gave us a fantastic massage, and then finished it off with a full body salt scrub. They had to practically pour us out of the room we were so relaxed. We stayed for another hour and visited the relaxation room. Even though it was a busy day at the spa, it never felt rushed or too crowded. We will go back to this wonderful place for many years to come.

1 Thank Robert P
Campbell, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A "must do" when in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

I spent a week in Santa Fe over Thanksgiving and loved 10 thousand waves so much, I went twice. It is a classy place, styled after the Japanese bath houses/hot springs in Japan...so not your typical hot tub place. The grounds are gorgeous, you can rent a private tub or go to one of the communal tubs. It's an experience to be sitting in an open air hot tub when it's 18 degrees outside, snowing and the sky is clear and the stars are out. Just beautiful. Definitely try the cold plunge tub and then hop to the hot...good for releasing endorphins and skin elasticity! Loved it.

1 Thank Caramia1500
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“the best 20 bucks I've spent in a long while”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

My friends and I spent the evening soaking it up in the woman's tub at ten thousand waves. Absolutely fabulous. Drive up the road and get away from all your worries, it is well worth it! This is a high end Japanese spa within a beautiful natural setting. Everything about this beautiful place is designed to soothe & take you away from your worries! For those not comfortable with nudity, you can choose to wear a bathing suit, or rent a private tub for extra. Locker keys are provided, as well as robes, and they have lovely free hair and body products for use in the bathroom. They have Japanese toilets in the bathroom with heated seats. My evening at ten thousand waves was the highlight of my trip to Santa Fe.

1 Thank SEA001

Been to Ten Thousand Waves? Share your experiences!