“Don't miss this place!”
Review of ten thousand waves

ten thousand waves
Ranked #1 of 44 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This place is incredible, get directions though because my garmin nuvi had problems finding it, causing a little last minute stress worrying that we wouldn't make our appointment. We reserved the Ichiban for the last evening in SF around 7:45 p.m. and it was heavenly. The teacups are so cool! My boyfriend and I were both very impressed. The shampoo and conditioner smells so good that I bought lots of the hinoki scent bath products. I am now officially addicted to this place. The Japanese man who greeted us at check-in noticed my Japanese last name and was very friendly. Normally, as a couple we wouldn't shell out money for such an indulgence but admittedly the experience exceeded our expectations. Just do it! A bath under the stars is the best way to describe it, and pictures just don't do the bath experience in the Ichiban justice. It's bigger and more incredible than it looks. I thought that the bath temperature was just right, although my boyfriend from Norway thought that it was just a little too hot. So if your partner has fair skin and burns easily, I recommend asking them to make one tub a few degrees cooler when you make your reservation. This place is a great way to unwind after a day of hiking.

1  Thank HayaoMiyazakiLover
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

After years of hearing people extoll the virtues of "Ten Thousand Waves" , I booked a room & massage for my husband & I to celebrate our birthdays. Upon arriving we found that the date had been mistakenly entered into the computer for the wrong month. I made my reservation by phone with a nice young man. We got to chatting & I fear this contributed to the snafu. I was also sent a confirmation email & did not notice the mistake at that time. The lessen here for me is to really read these confirmation emails. Check the dates & years that have been entered into the computer. Perhaps it was sour grapes on our part but we noticed a heck of a lot of traffic going past the rather tiny grounds. When it was pointed out on arrival that the treatment room was "just over there", I thought to myself, "a $300 soak & massage with the relaxing sound of trucks & cars going by. Hmmmmmm." The girl who started out pleasant was informing us that we would not be able to "stand up in our room" as it was an Airstream Trailer (we lived in one for 5 years so hearing this immediately snapped us I to reality) "When you came in that's why I said "Silvestra!" and you both smiled.", she said trying to deflect responsibility for the fact that she was well into checking us in, had taken our credit card & was into describing our room (we booked "Moonlet" which we were actually hoping to be able to stand up in for $375 a night.) when it dawned on her that we were not the "Silvestra" party. "I'm sorry", my husband said, "I thought "Silvestra!!" was some kind of new age greeting." (I did, too.) "This is an unfortunate mistake in that there's really nothing we can do for you. We are at maximum capacity. I can see if there are hotels nearby that might have a vacancy & you can book a room there & come back up here for your massage????" My husband & I looked at each other disbelief, at which point my husband turned to me & said, "wow...that sounds relaxing doesn't it sweetie?" After making sure that we would be refunded for the room & massages, (scheduled to be inhabited by us five weeks into the future) we grabbed hands, issued a final "Silvestra!!!" and called "The Inn of The Five Graces" from the parking lotwhich turned out to be the most magical move we
could have ever made. They too were at maximum capacity but somehow found us the most beautiful room which more than made up for poor customer service we found at "Ten Thousand Waves".

10  Thank PhotoMojo1
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at Ten Thousand Waves Spa and Resort. Calling it just short of heaven would not do it justice. We stayed on the property in Tsuki and it was incredible. The open space and natural lighting made the stay relaxing and wonderful. Our kitchen came with granola, soy, rice or regular milk, coffee and all sorts of tea. Eating breakfast or watching the stars out on our patio was the perfect star and end to every day. We splurged on the Waves of Bliss package and it was worth every penny. Our massage therapists were fantastic and we left our afternoon at the spa feeling 100% refreshed. I cannot give this place enough praise. Everything about it screams relaxation and we plan on going back 1st chance we get.

2  Thank JJTravels096
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My mate and I visited here in late July and reserved the Ichiban outdoor spa, which was perfect. I have been to many fine onsen in Japan and TTW is comparable, clean, and well-appointed. The massage facilities are also first-rate, and we left after three hours or soaking, sauna, and massage, feeling completely relaxed and refreshed.

2  Thank merlinslap
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Ever since my first experience six years ago, for me, this establishment represented the ultimate spa experience' against which all others were measured. Sad to say, that is no longer the case. For the second time in six months, the front desk bungled our hot tub arrangements, giving out two keys for the same tub! In February, the desk failed to notify us that our time was up, and people walked in on us! Today, there was someone already in our tub when we unlocked the door. All of thid was settled, embarrassment aside. Then, only one of the hair dryers in both of the ladies locker rooms worked! Having said that, our couples massage was every bit as wonderful as it has always been. Something is amiss here!

4  Thank KFM9275

Been to ten thousand waves? Share your experiences!