“Bird poop facials and lots of hot oil......”
Review of ten thousand waves

ten thousand waves
Ranked #1 of 42 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
Reviewed October 20, 2006

Although TTW is quite expensive, the experience is worth the cost. I visited TTW during October, so the crowds were not as much of an issue for me as some previous reviews. The spa was quite busy and they do seem to rush you from place to place -- but thats just the way it is!! The private baths are well worth the $25 or so -- just be wary that sitting in a hot bath combined with Santa Fe altitude can take a toll on your body!! I almost passed out when I was through with my bath and felt nauscious for about 30 mins. Beware that some of the baths are clothing optional -- I definitely saw a few bare butts when I wasn't even trying to!!
My Nose to Toes treatment was heavenly -- dont fear the hot oil hair treatment -- it is worth it!! My mother had the Indo Asian treatment which I deemed to be a better "bang for the buck" over the Nose to Tose -- she had everything that I had and more for the same price.
We also had the Nightingale Facials -- wow. Definitely a must-do service!! The bird poop is a little gimmicky -- but this was one of the bext facials that I have every had. Thorough exfoliation and very personalized service.
Look into packages if you go -- call and ask -- they seem to have seasonal packages.

4  Thank xjgrl
There are newer reviews for ten thousand waves

Reviewed October 12, 2006

This was my first experience with a spa of any sort, so my expectations may be a bit out of whack. However - my best friend and I treated ourselves to a premium private pool (the Waterfall) as well as to a Salt Glow afterwards.

Loved the overall atmosphere. FYI - try to park in the upper level parking lot since otherwise it is a gasp inducing 74 stair steps from the bottom parking lot to the spa entrance.

Was it crowded? Yes, but not overly so. But by splurging on a private pool we were blissfully undisturbed. We also went in mid-week which helped with the crowd control. We had booked for 85 minutes at the pool and unfortunately were asked to leave our pool at the 55 minute mark. This was an honest mistake by the staff and the extra money was refunded without a problem. A lack of visible clocks makes time telling a bit of a challenge.

The Salt Glow was the most delicious treat I've ever given myself. We booked a double room and our girls, Spider and Mylanie, were a hoot. However, the spa receptionists seemed quite disorganized and unable to give us a clear idea of when to expect our treatments.

The changing rooms and shower areas put you in exceptionally close quarters. The plastic shower curtains mentioned by others were missing for our trip. The showers are the first things when you step around the corner of the changing room and I was not quite comfortable letting it all hang out. Best be REALLY relaxed about naked public time at this spa.

All in all - we loved it and are absolutely planning to return.

1  Thank KogerGirl
Reviewed September 19, 2006

My wife and I planned a 17th anniversary trip to Santa Fe and Taos, with the centerpiece a 2-night stay at Ten Thousand Waves from June 26-27, 2006. First, it is expensive -- over $240 -- so our hopes were high. Much to our dismay, even for pay guests you only have access to one pool -- which was so crowded that we could barely get in. We're talking full -- scrunch over, please? This was on a rainy day -- and if you know anything about the drought in the area, there aren't many of those. I can only imagine how crowded it would be on a nice day! And no atmosphere at all -- people talking in loud voices on how to get to the restaurant next to the Ross Dress for Less -- well, you get the idea. If you wanted any bliss, you had to rent a private pool for at least $50/hour. That having been said, the room was nice -- but we felt the frayed towels were tacky for what we were being charged, and the sugar-coated granola, coffee etc. incongruous with the vibe they were advertising and trying to create. Color us unimpressed -- we left after one night, and were grateful that they "released" us.

5  Thank Dustina
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Having visited for the first time in 12 years, I was disappointed that the spa felt like a farm, rushing people in and out, disorganzied spa hostess, so many confused spa-goers milling about that there was nothing relaxing about being there. Once in treatment rooms, services are still great, and technicians are extremely skilled.

5  Thank Edye
Reviewed June 28, 2006

We were in the New Ofuru bath, which recently opened.
really loved the space...except, of course, for the fact that if you went to the open air "window" to look out, there were people walking by.
this also meant that you heard them talking, even if you weren't at the "window"
other than that... the bath space was nice and clean... i've attached a couple of pictures...

5  Thank KBWR

Been to ten thousand waves? Share your experiences!