“Ahhhhhh.....”

Ten Thousand Waves
Ranked #1 of 41 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
New England
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Ahhhhhh.....”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I thought that this might be an overhyped tourist trap, but boy was I wrong. When our trip turned stressful due to some work challenges back home, I NEEDED drastic measures and Ten Thousand Waves was where I turned. I went with one of their spa packages - the Nippon Nirvana, which was a hot oil scalp massage, a private outdoor soak in a hot tub, a foot and leg treatment and facial.

Well I was not disappointed! The grounds are absolutely beautiful - although you have to walk up a LOT of steps to get to it, and if you aren't used to the altitude, it may be a challenge. ALL of the treatments and aestheticians were excellent and relaxing.... the outdoor tub was heavenly. Just the solitude alone was a respite to my mind and body. The scalp treatment was incredibly relaxing as were the other two services. By the time I left I was totally and completely a blob of relaxation.

So why didn't I give it a perfect score? A couple of reasons, the main one being the fact that some of the other patrons were louder than should have been allowed at a spa of this nature. I mean, I know its not a monastery, but people laughing and talking outside the treatment rooms should NOT be permitted, and it did disturb my relaxation process.

The other reason is the women's locker room which is quite small and crowded. There were two stall showers and one rest room for probably 20 women in there, and very little room to change.

Beyond those two 'glitches", it was really great and next time in Santa Fe, will definitely get there again!

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worried it would dissappoint.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I spent our anniversary here. We booked the Ichiban bath, couples massage, and salt scrubs. Our experience was awesome. I highly recommend the private baths. Very clean and comfortable. Both of our massage therapists did a fantastic job!

There were a few cons.
1. No amenities to shower with, i.e. brushes.
2. Some staff were pretty condescending when asked a question.

las vegas, nv, USA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“such a perfect retreat”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've visited this spa a half dozen times, the first time in 1992. Each time I think it was even better than the last. This place has it down, really it's PERFECT. Also, I lived in Tokyo for over a year so I know what a Japanese bathhouse/spa is all about. If you can, treat yourself to BLISS and get the hot stone massage!

Fredericksburg, Texas
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Relaxing and worth the 91 steps to get there.”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived at the Spa and walked the 91 steps, in high altitude, but arrived, huffing and puffing, very ready for our tub soak and 80 minute massage. We were totally relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to run down those 91 steps to the car.

Reno, Nevada, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Don't miss it”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I love spas and usually don't miss out on too many when I travel. This spa ranks up there in my top three. The grounds are serene and gorgeous. The private tubs are very private, but outdoors and under the stars. On all treatments, you can add the provate tub, and it is worth it. The treatment were some of the best I have ever had. I got a salt rub and massage. Very reasonably priced. Plan to spend at least a half day there.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Marlene O

Been to Ten Thousand Waves? Share your experiences!