“A nice getaway, but please turn down the heat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ten Thousand Waves

Ten Thousand Waves
Ranked #1 of 40 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
Los Angeles
“A nice getaway, but please turn down the heat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

Spent one night in Suigetsu with my boyfriend for my birthday. I've never been there and we were charmed when we arrived. The room is convenient to the parking lot and office, but still removed and quiet. Cute bed and we loved the Japanese decor/feel down to the movie selections (we chose Shall We Dance, the original Japanese version -- a must see.)

We soaked in the communal tub, which is clothing optional in the evenings. The soak was nice, relaxing, and not at all creepy though I was the only woman in the tub. The cold plunge and sauna were nice additions.

We enjoyed the room and the Japanese decor touches, but it turned out that the radiant floor heat made the room too warm to sleep in. The bed itself was uncomfortable (too soft and not enough support -- very un-Japanese) and we both slept fitfully which was a big disappointment. Also, the very nice, door-less shower leaked all over and we had to pile our towels on the floor between the toilet and the shower to prevent a puddle from forming in front of the toilet.

The next morning, my Thai massage hit the spot and we were off to the Plaza for our next evening since our late booking allowed us only one night here which was probably for the best since I need my sleep.

St. Paul
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Four Hands Massage Is Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

We stayed in the High Moon lodging and had a variety of treatments. All were good, but the Four Hands massage is a unique and wonderful experience. As they say in their literature, it's best to have previous massage experience, as this is rather advanced. But it was absolutely the best spa treatment I've ever had.

The staff was very professional, welcoming and friendly. We stayed in the shoulder season (late October) and didn't experience the crowds others here have noted. We will definitely return.

nyc
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“More a ripple than a wave”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

Just an OK experience.
Locker rooms were waaaay too crowded. only 2 showers stalls for all those spa goers? Lockers themselves were also too small to fit my average size napsack and a just a couple of little benches to use. Most average health clubs have better changing facilities. People were climbing over each other trying to get dressed. I wonder what people do in the winter with heavy coats and boots?
Hey, where's was the deoderant, baby powder and combs in the blue liquid ...all that standard issue stuff in any higher end spa?
Treatments were fine - nothing special. Treatment rooms were also average to spartan.
Front desk help is young and unprofessional - could not tell us how long to the airport or where to grab some dinner .
The shop sells 2 or 3 product lines.
Just basic snacks in a refrig case. The sushi from my local grocery store looks better.
Did not at all get a spiritual feel from this place. It did not remind me of being in Japan.

If your doing traveling around as a tourist in this area of NM, Ojo caliente may be a better rustic spa experience. For high end spaing look into Monte Sagrado in Taos.

2 Thank here&there
north carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Unique, great massage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

Not your usual elegant spa but very interesting, as it's Japanese/Bohemian in atmosphere. Went there on a Saturday early evening and my only complaint was that it was crowded, especially in the women's dressing/shower area. Women's communal pool was rather stark...I chose to wear a suit but three others were au natural. Next time I might rent a private pool.

My massage by Carrie was magnificent!!

ABQ, NM
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

My wife and I spent a few days in Sailor Moon and got multiple treatments. The housing staff was excellent and helpful. The spa staff was just a bit disorganized, but it did not impact our treatments. The treatments were first-class and the atmosphere was wonderful and relaxing. The communal tubs, saunas and cold water soaks were perfect pre-treatments before our massages. The room was quiet and comfortable, and has the best shower of all the rooms on the complex.
We spent time here last year as well and had an equally good time.
We will undoubtedly come back again.

1 Thank ABQfamilyguy

Been to Ten Thousand Waves? Share your experiences!