“Excellent Service”

The Compound Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Compound Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 577 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Historic District
Cross street: Paseo de Peralta
Description: Mark Kiffin, celebrated chef, owner, and author of the Compound Restaurant, has won the James Beard Foundation award as one of America's Best Chefs. The Compound is Santa Fe's premier restaurant with Chef Kiffin's acclaimed seasonal Contemporary American cuisine derived from Santa Fe's rich heritage of regional and Mediterranean influences. The New York Times, Gourmet magazine, The Wall Street Journal and Wine Spectator have all selected the Compound as Santa Fe's favorite. Equally impressive is the attentive, highly knowledgeable and friendly staff. Chef Kiffin's menus focus on the exclusive changes in seasons such as hearty braised dishes in the fall and winter using apples, pears and cider from local harvests, osso bucco and porcini risotto while in spring and summer feature fresh local vegetables and naturally raised organic lamb and delectable strawberries.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Recently my husband and I visited Santa Fe from Texas and were looking for a top notch dining experience. Our concierge suggested The Compound as the best restaurant in Santa Fe so we decided to try it out. Im a culinary snob so I'm always skeptical about trying new places out. My first impression at arriving was the beautifully kept grounds and the ample parking (which is rare in Santa Fe with parking being so limited).

We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. The place was beautiful, a lush black carpet and stark white walls with art from legendary designer Alexander Girard created an elegant dining background. The music was well chosen... a mix of modern lounge and jazz. We were approached by a friendly waiter from Spain who suggested menu items that were his favorites. We took his suggestions and ran with it, why not? Let's see where this takes us! He also told us that he was going to introduce us to our new Pinot Noir. I ordered the foie gras and sweetbreads and my husband ordered the quail stuffed with sweetbread, dirty rice and chicken liver. OMG! The foie just melted in my mouth and the sauce was so incredible. I wanted to lick the bowl clean!! My husband was just in heaven savoring his fabulous quail. We both took the waitors suggestion and each had a glass of Sauternes, which was the perfect pairing! Next we tried the suggested Pinot Noir from California, and were very impressed by it... med bodied wine that was lush and unlike any Pinot Noir we've ever had. We were in heaven w/ all the incredible tastes and scents. When our main course arrived my husband ordered the lamb shank w/ sweet potato gratin and stone fruit... So tender and succulent!! I don't think we've ever had suck succulent and tender lamb shank, and trust me.... we've had a lot! I ordered the crispy striped bass served w/ a Manhattan oyster chowder.. what a combination!! The bass was perfectly cooked and the oyster chowder was just incredible, a true culinary delight.

Dessert was a liquid chocolate cake w/ burgundy poached prunes accompanied by housemade armagnac prune stracciatella. I wanted to stand up and cheer but composed myself and just sipped on a glass of suggested dessert wine, a late harvest zinfandel.

What a dining triumph! The ambience, food, wine, and the impecable service was nothing but grand. As we sat there my husband and I were truly satisfied w/ our Compound dining experience. He looked into my eyes and not only did I realize how much I loved him but how that evening I re-fell in love with the true art of dining well. Kudos to the chef Mark Kiffin.
We will soon revisit your fabulous restaurant!

2  Thank Leticia E

Reviewed November 4, 2012

To all visiting Santa Fe you owe it to yourself to have a world class dinning experience. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the food was great. The spirits and wine list was superb and the wine specialist was very educated in the art of pairing food and wine.

This is a must go.

1  Thank Mike3099
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Attentive service, a wonderful menu including a wonderful sweetbread and foie gras appetizer, in an elegant setting. Excellent wine. Pricey, yes, but worth it.

1  Thank GardenPam
Reviewed October 27, 2012

For a day on Canyon Road is a leisurely lunch at the Compound. The salad entrees are always fresh and delicious, but you may be tempted by some of the best burgers and fries in Santa Fe. Not what you may expect from this gracious white table cloth and crystal retreat at the bottom of a sloping parking lot. You won't have any cell service but you will have a delightful meal served by expert and friendly staff. You will not regret this stop to refresh yourself before finishing your loop of the galleries.

1  Thank texasrambler_62
Reviewed October 27, 2012

we ate dinner their, not great just ok. Did not have wine pairings the food ok. I would of rather ate at the hotel elder ado it would of been better.

1  Thank kjj150