“O.K. Hotel Restaurant”

La Plazuela at La Fonda
Reserve with OpenTable
La Plazuela at La Fonda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 571 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Old Santa Fe Trail
Description: Guests seeking an intimate Santa Fe restaurant will find satisfaction at La Plazuela, an elegant restaurant located on La Fonda's original patio built in the 1920's. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, La Plazuela is a feast for the senses. Guests can enjoy creative contemporary New Mexican food as skylights flood the restaurant with natural light. Relax in this light-filled setting surrounded by hand-painted windows and the sounds of the soothing fountain.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“O.K. Hotel Restaurant”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here on a recent visit to Santa Fe. La Fonda, the hotel, was undergoing renovations, but the dining room was in full operation and we wanted to experience this old hotel. Our young server (Gaspar C) was very professional - formal, but not pretentious or overbearing. Only service issue was long wait for a simple gelato dessert ($6). We split a spinach salad ($10), my wife had tacos ($18), while I tried the pork rib eye ($19). It was all good - though short of great. Only complaint on the food was that my pork was tough, over-done. Pork is hard to get right . . . I know from experience. Prices were very reasonable. We had table wine by the glass in the $7 per range. Decor o.k. - features painted glass panels that we were not real sure about - amateurish?

3 Thank Roycal

California
“Scrumptious Lamb”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

When in Santa Fe, I have not been impressed with the food in this town. I mull over many customer reviews from various Santa Fe restaurants and tend to disagree with a large majority of the reviews. I tend to find Southwestern food to be saturated with cheese and spice less, unlike Mexican food.

However, La Plazuela at La Fonda has a mouth-watering lamb dish! The service was 'good' (for Santa Fe standards) and the atmosphere was pleasant.

I would recommend that they switch to a different type of bread service. The roles were cold, hard and old. But the lamb over shadowed that fact!

1 Thank letstravellll
Rockaway Township, NJ
“Ambiance was great, food was average, prices were high”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I realize this place got a lot of positive reviews but .... I've had Mexican all over the world (including Mexico) and this place was just ok. The guac was outstanding and for $12 it should have been, but the enchiladas were average. My husband got filet, which was also average. The ambiance is what makes it. It is beautiful inside and feels authentic. I was beyond livid to pay $3 for a kids apple juice, which was not included in the kids meal ($8 for 2 chicken strips with fries). We eat in manhattan a lot so I am used to high prices WHEN JUSTIFIED, this was not justified. I expected better food.

2 Thank Karliesjz
Florida
“A Great Lunch at this Santa Fe Landmark”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having a meal at La Fonda has been on our list of "things to do" in Santa Fe for a while, and we finally had an opportunity to do just that on our last visit to the city. To be honest, even if the food was just "okay" I'd have to give this restaurant a higher than average rating because the setting is wonderful. This is a great old hotel. Make sure you save time to stroll around before or after your meal. This is one of the famed "Harvey hotels" and Mary Colter's touch seems evident, although I think she was just a collaborator.

We found the service to be very good, and our iced tea glasses never stood more than 1/2 empty before someone was at our table pouring as more. This is a good, well trained staff. Professional but friendly.

Both of us ordered the green chile meatloaf, and it was wonderful. There was plenty of food (it was served with these really yummy mashed potatoes and fresh veggies), and we enjoyed every bite. We'd never had this type of meatloaf before, and I know meatloaf sounds boring, but if you have never tasted a meatloaf flavored with green chiles, you are missing a rare New Mexican treat.

It was a bit pricey for lunch, we thought, but it was worth it. It really topped off the experience of touring the Governor's Palace and the museums perfectly.

Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Shea1114
Portland, OR
“Charm AND Good Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

On a recent trip, I stayed at La Fonda and enjoyed several meals in this restaurant, which has the feel of an open interior courtyard with a fountain in the middle. The hotel's restaurant and lively bar are local favorites, as well as tourist favorites, so a reservation for dinner is a good idea. Prices are reasonable--definitely not as pricey as the average hotel restaurant in Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco--and the New Mexico cuisine is excellent. Much of the menu is also available through room service. The staff is well trained and attentive. The hotel is known for its excellent art collection, and the glass-paneled doors surrounding the courtyard are decorated with charming old paintings of plants, animals, and more.

3 Thank GeorgePortland_OR