“Good breakfast”

Ranked #35 of 571 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Tecolote Cafe was started in 1980 by Bill and Alice Jennison with a desire to feed guests great meals, affordably, with superior service. Mr. Bill and Alice's recipes have been pleasing palettes for 31 years. In May of 2010, sadly, we lost Mr. Bill after a long and accomplished life. Since August 2010, Katherine Adkins (Bill and Alice's daughter) and her husband Matt Adkins have been doing their best to honor Mr. Bill and Ms. Alice's vision in carrying on the family business. Sadly we also lost Ms.Alice in December of 2012. We offer a varied menu focusing primarily on New Mexican breakfast and lunch cuisine, as well as some American favorites.We bake all of our breads in house as well as our muffins and biscuits contained in our bakery basket. A little known secret to our great burgers? Fresh baked Kaiser rolls to vehicle our superb patties and ingredients. Whether you come for breakfast or lunch, we are sure you will be pleased with our delectable choices and our warm, friendly atmosphere. If you aren't, just let us know so we can make your experience everything you hoped for!Katie and I can't wait to see you on your next visit. So, come on in, and remember, we serve "Great breakfast, No toast!", just for you.
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were looking for a good brunch that wasn't too expensive and wasn't just New Mexican style - this was a good choice (though I would like to try others and compare) The pancakes are GIANT! You could easily eat just one if you are hungry. All the other entrees are average/small in size. The french toast was pretty good but nothing to write home about. The bread basket has good variety and is good. I hate to be a downer but I was expecting better based on all the reviews. The wait staff is great! They were very fast and friendly!

Visited January 2013

Hobbs, New Mexico
“Hands down BEST BREAKFAST IN SANTA FE.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Hands down BEST BREAKFAST IN SANTA FE. We randomly found this place and it looks like a little hole in the wall type place but that’s the cool thing about it. The food is amazing and the service is great. My boyfriend had the eggs benedict and he has traveled all over the country he said it was the best he had ever tasted. After telling the waitress the owner came to talk to us and thank us for the complement. My breakfast choice was the French toast. It’s not you every day French toast. The bread is handmade in house and is sliced very thick. You get a choice of 5 to 6 different types.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank katie1898
Midwest
“As Seen on TV”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Found this place on Yelp, then after we got there we realized it had been featured on Food Networks Diners, drive in and dives! We were warmly greeted and seated. My wife had an omelet made to order that tasted wonderful. I ordered the steak and eggs, they came with potatoes. My meal was average, I've had better steak and eggs. But the service really was amazing. Overall a decent meal. If I went back I'd order an omelet instead.

Byron Center, Michigan
“Fantastic breakfast in Santa Fe”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Best omelette and potato breakfast ever! Created my own with spinach, onions, asparagus and feta - incredible flavor and quality. The potatoes were delicious and the bread basket so yummy. Must go and wait! Long lines but once you get in, the staff is phenomenally friendly and your tummy will thank you!

3 Thank mrsadiaz
Phoenix, Arizona
“Go out of your way to eat at Tecolote. I do.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hands down, the best New Mexico breakfast in Santa Fe is at the Tecolote Cafe, located on Cerillos Road close in to town. From the ample parking to the delicious coffee and friendly, competent service, there's just nothing to complain about--unless you can't appreciate funky northern New Mexican style, in which case, go on back home.
We spend most of our New Mexico time in Taos, but nothing, not even the 80-something mile drive, can keep us from at least one breakfast at Tecolote. (The name means "owl.")
Personally, I go for the carne adovada--tender chunks of pork stewed in blinding-hot red chile--with eggs over medium--the hottest item on the menu. Don't order it if you have any doubt about the meaning of "hot." There are many other options at this family-friendly establishment, including red, green, or Christmas (both red and green chile). Most of the options are suitable for normal people, like the blue corn pancakes, for instance. I just happen to be addicted to NM hot chiles and great breakfasts at a great price. You more than get what you pay for at Tecolote.
One word of advice: Don't go to Tecolote if you like toast. Tecolote makes a point of NO TOAST! Instead, you'll be served a bakery basket brimming with biscuits, scones, and muffins, which means you'll be automatically upgraded in the bread department. Who can complain?
Plan on a short wait. Locals swamp the place, but the line seems to dissipate tolerably quickly. In any case, if it's worth an 80-miled drive, it's worth a 10-minute wait. *Note: Closed on Mondays.
GO GO GO, and blow Tecolote a kiss for me.

• Visited January 2013