“Fantastic breakfast in Santa Fe”
Review of Tecolote Cafe

Tecolote Cafe
Ranked #28 of 584 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Tecolote Cafe was started in 1980 by Bill and Alice Jennison with a desire to feed guests great meals, affordably, with superior service. Mr. Bill and Alice's recipes have been pleasing palettes for 31 years. In May of 2010, sadly, we lost Mr. Bill after a long and accomplished life. Since August 2010, Katherine Adkins (Bill and Alice's daughter) and her husband Matt Adkins have been doing their best to honor Mr. Bill and Ms. Alice's vision in carrying on the family business. Sadly we also lost Ms.Alice in December of 2012. We offer a varied menu focusing primarily on New Mexican breakfast and lunch cuisine, as well as some American favorites.We bake all of our breads in house as well as our muffins and biscuits contained in our bakery basket. A little known secret to our great burgers? Fresh baked Kaiser rolls to vehicle our superb patties and ingredients. Whether you come for breakfast or lunch, we are sure you will be pleased with our delectable choices and our warm, friendly atmosphere. If you aren't, just let us know so we can make your experience everything you hoped for!Katie and I can't wait to see you on your next visit. So, come on in, and remember, we serve "Great breakfast, No toast!", just for you.
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Best omelette and potato breakfast ever! Created my own with spinach, onions, asparagus and feta - incredible flavor and quality. The potatoes were delicious and the bread basket so yummy. Must go and wait! Long lines but once you get in, the staff is phenomenally friendly and your tummy will thank you!

3  Thank mrsadiaz

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hands down, the best New Mexico breakfast in Santa Fe is at the Tecolote Cafe, located on Cerillos Road close in to town. From the ample parking to the delicious coffee and friendly, competent service, there's just nothing to complain about--unless you can't appreciate funky northern New Mexican style, in which case, go on back home.
We spend most of our New Mexico time in Taos, but nothing, not even the 80-something mile drive, can keep us from at least one breakfast at Tecolote. (The name means "owl.")
Personally, I go for the carne adovada--tender chunks of pork stewed in blinding-hot red chile--with eggs over medium--the hottest item on the menu. Don't order it if you have any doubt about the meaning of "hot." There are many other options at this family-friendly establishment, including red, green, or Christmas (both red and green chile). Most of the options are suitable for normal people, like the blue corn pancakes, for instance. I just happen to be addicted to NM hot chiles and great breakfasts at a great price. You more than get what you pay for at Tecolote.
One word of advice: Don't go to Tecolote if you like toast. Tecolote makes a point of NO TOAST! Instead, you'll be served a bakery basket brimming with biscuits, scones, and muffins, which means you'll be automatically upgraded in the bread department. Who can complain?
Plan on a short wait. Locals swamp the place, but the line seems to dissipate tolerably quickly. In any case, if it's worth an 80-miled drive, it's worth a 10-minute wait. *Note: Closed on Mondays.
GO GO GO, and blow Tecolote a kiss for me.

3  Thank J Sidney O
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Red or green, you cannot lose here. Perfectly cooked eggs, great red or green chile, yummy bakery basket of goodies on the sides. The atmosphere is nothing to write home about but the staff is friendly and efficient and the food - oh mama the food - top notch.

There is usually a little wait in a little ante-room but never more than 30 minutes in my experience.

3  Thank FallOfRoam
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If I knew when I was going to eat my last meal on earth, this is where I would want to eat it.
Tecolote is only open for breakfast and lunch, but that's enough. The breakfasts are to die for, no I don't have a favorite, as long as it has their green chile on it. Growing up in Texas, I've eaten a lot of tamales, Tecolote has the best I've ever found.
We've only been disapointed once, when we drove up from ABQ specifically to eat at Tecolote and found them closed. Oh yeat, I'd forgotten about closed Mondays.
Just writing this is making me hungry, but I'm 1100 miles away.
See you again next month Tecolote.

2  Thank wfgjr
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Blue corn pancakes, Smoked Jalapeno Bacon, Huevos Rancheros with red and green chile. Great muffins, scones and biscuits. Second visit...there will be more!

1  Thank RazorBee