“Excellent Food, Service, and Drinks! We will go back.”

Rio Chama Steakhouse
Ranked #96 of 576 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 20, 2010

We found Rio Chama while looking for a cigar lounge in Santa Fe. We canceled our reservations at Cafe Pasqual's for dinner reservations at Rio Chama. The food was excellent! My mother and I ordered the Osso Bucco. It's a MUST! Our waiter, who was knowledgeable and friendly, said the chef brings it back every winter. My husband ordered the salmon and my father the meatloaf. Every aspect of the meal was wonderful. The wine list was extensive, we picked a shiraz and it was wonderful. I really don't have anything negative to say about the restaurant. The atmosphere was cozy, staff friendly, and the food was to die for. The portions were also large. For what you get, portion and quality, the prices are reasonable.
After dinner we went to the cigar lounge. The lounge is across from the entrance to the restaurant and bar. It's a small courtyard. The lounge consists of two rooms each with a tv. The second room has couches and chairs. The room in the front has more tables. If you go to the lounge I would let someone in a bar know because if you don't you have to walk to the bar yourself. If they know you are there they are attentive. The first night we went there it was more crowded (but we had a place to sit) because a game was on. The second night, Sunday, it was dead and we had the lounge to ourselves. The smoke isn't overwhelming, it's definitely not the Club Macanudo in NYC but it's still enjoyable. Especially if you want to enjoy a cigar in Santa Fe. There is a no-smoking ordinance and they get to have the lounge because it's basically two rooms, food isn't served and the bar isn't connected to the lounge. Like I said, you or the waiters walk outside and 10 feet to the entrance of the bar.
The bar is also roomy with lots of seating. The drinks are reasonable and the bartenders are attentive. I will definitely go back to Rio Chama. The food was great in the restaurant. The after dinner drinks in the lounge were enjoyable. The bar looks to be a hot spot for many people in Santa Fe.

4  Thank Jenna G

Reviewed December 1, 2009

Best steak in town, expensive but very nice bar setting, love this place for a drink and appetizer too.

4  Thank Irun26-1979
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We loved this place. Close to state house and other government offices so popular spot for the after work crowd.
Beautiful large classy looking bar w/comfortable seats, large screen TV.
Great bartender that provided fast service with a smile to a big crowd.

Extensive wine list..including many nice wines by the glass.

We had the Flatbread Appetizer which had melted cheese,roasted peppers and some shitake mushroom topping..It was delicious. Many customers had the fondue which looked good.

Would love to try dinner some time.

3  Thank casey99
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I have never had such disrespectful treatment in any bar or restaurant. I would avoid the bar at the Rio Chama. There are too many other nice bars in Santa Fe.
Staff, especially manager is rude and could care less about patrons having a nice experience..

21  Thank jkmelody
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Got there at 5:00 opening on a weekday so reservations weren't necessary. Staff and food were outstanding. A bit pricey, but worth it.

4  Thank TraveldudeTampa